The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara

The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara
Super Volume Mascara

3.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 7/6/2008 9:30:00 AM

I like this mascara. Its not clumpy at all and gives a nice look, but nothing amazingly special. As far as price its not as expensive as benefit etc but more expensive than something like maybelline, so its about mid-range. I think my main complaint would have to be the price, because it doesnt do anything special to your eyelashes, but does have a nice effect. I bought this after recieving a free sample, which I believe actually had a better brush than this as it gave a more dramatic effect. Good for everyday use but not if you're looking for any fantastic effects.

on 3/19/2008 4:39:00 PM

EDIT 2 - it dried a bit after a few weeks and after that it was fine. If you end up with this problem I guess let it sit open a couple of hours.
3 is my final verdict... though want to give more because I really hate animal testing and haven't found a replacement for this.

EDIT - I got a new one of these and after a few weeks of getting brown-ish shadows under my eyes, I'm not happy with it. Maybe I got a bad batch, they didn't used to be this bad... But I'm off searching for a new not animal tested mascara.

First off this mascara is $12 in the U.S., not $24! TBS does tend to be more expensive in Sweden for some reason. I stick with the products I find good from them because they are one of few companies I know tests neither ingredients nor products on animals, and I love their work with Community Trade! I hope L'oreal keeps it up!
This mascara has been a staple for me for years. I haven't used too many others so I can't compare too well - it's a lot better than really cheap drug store brands I've tried, that's it. When it comes to mascara I've found (by sampling in stores, etc) that when you come up to a certain decent quality they all plateau out. It's all in the application and having the self discipline to throw it out every 3-4 months. In that way it's better to buy a decent lower priced one - making it a little easier to throw it out when it starts clumping on you!

(Application tip I love - using a credit card behind the brush when you apply like in this video:

at 05.20 if you don't want to see the whole video - but her eye makeup tutorials are really amazing!)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Nothing special. Does what nearly every drug store mascara does. A little thick but in a good way. I'll continue to use it till I'm out but won't repurchase.

on 11/14/2007 11:15:00 AM

I like this mascara, but it can be quite hard to apply. The formula is a little on the wet side and if you're not careful you get spiderleg lashes. It's not waterproof which I kind of gotten used to before I brought this. It's pretty expensive (149 SEK = 24 USD)
I get longer and a little thicker lashes with this one.

on 9/26/2007 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Like many other reviewers, I got this mascara as a GWP. As others have noted, it's a "wet" formulation that is a dark "very black" color. For me, this formula and brush were problematic...I have nothing BUT clumps when I use it, and I will throw it away as soon as I'm done with this review. Once on, seems like there are no major problems with irritation...

on 9/5/2007 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a good mascara if you like more of a natural look. I don't like my lashes looking natural, i like them thick and volumous. I don't wear a lot of makeup so a thickening and voluming mascara is a must. This is a decent mascara. However, i only had this mascara for a month, and it smells really weird. When i first bought it smelt weird, but i didn't think much of it. I don't think i can use it anymore because of the smell. It's sickening. At the end of the day, my eyes start to feel dry and irritated. It's not too easy to wash off with soap either A HUGE plus is that they don't test on animals and has some natural/conditioning ingredients which is very good. The price is decent too. but i won't repurchase.

on 10/3/2006 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I'm sorry to burst the bubble of good reviews for this product, but it's just not that impressive IMHO. Bottom line, it does thicken the lashes but doesn't fan them out. This mascara basically clumps lashes together. I like a mascara that seperates and provide definition/thickness. This just doesn't make the cut. I got this as a freebie just as the other reviewers below. Thank goodness it was free because if I had paid for it I would have to return it. The SA at TBS bragged on and on about this mascara being so great and said that it was the "best ever". Obviously she's never tried Cover Girl's Lash Exact because IMO that's the "best ever" mascara and to this date I have not found a mascara to top it (drugstore or department store brand). Again, it's an OK mascara, but nothing to yell from rooftops about.

on 12/20/2012 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim. My beloved Max Factor False Lash Effect is on its last legs and I cannot get that brand where I currently live. I wasn't expecting great things but this is a really good mascara. It does what it says on the tin. Tons of volume, very black, but make your lashes stand out. Can look naturalish, but you can build it up for nightime. Only 2 problems: this takes longer to dry than other mascaras. Second of all, it clumps a tiny bit. Not the best mascara, but definitely not the worst. Worth a try.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got this free in a magazine, but I'll happily pay to get it again when I run out. It's not clumpy or over the top at all, so it's great to wear during the day. Even though it's called super volume it's actually not as effective as some other mascaras so if I'm going out at night I wouldn't wear this.

It's not waterproof, so it's easy to get off at the end of the day, but it stays on well when you want it to and doesn't run very much at all, which is always good in a mascara.

on 5/18/2010 9:38:00 PM

i actually got this as a freebie because my friend bought me a lifttle gift set.I really like this mascara, it really does make my short asian lashes look fuller and longer. Satying power is good. brush is really nifty! Im thinking of purchasing this as im not really happy with my rimmel mascara.