The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara

The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara
Super Volume Mascara

3.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/24/2013 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My lashes are actually pretty long, so I was content with purchasing this mascara and knowing that it'd be strictly for volume. However, after trying this out, I must say that I don't think it will find its way into my makeup bag again.

Firstly, the formula is terribly wet. Not that I'd like a dry formula (you can hear those scraping against your eyelashes when applying), but I'd also not like to have to wait 9 minutes after applying 2 coats. This depends on your preference as a person, but I didn't enjoy the extra drying time.

Second, the formula's also quite smudgy. It seemed to be prone to sticking everywhere over the eyelid and under-eye area, and it took 3-4 Q-Tips to remove all of the jet-black streaks. I can't imagine using this mascara in the case of a more formal occasion (where eyeshadow, liner and mascara might be used- I use liner and mascara only for everyday), as applying this after shadow and liner would ruin all of your previous work.

Third, I disliked the brush shape immensely. I've never seen anything quite like it, but it allowed for uneven and clumpy application that left me looking like I'd dipped my made-up face in water. The brush itself has a pattern of long bristles and short bristles, which was very inconvenient for my lashes.

Did the formula do what it said? Somewhat. My lashes DID have some volume, but the clumpiness, streakiness, brush shape and drying time made for an unhappy woman with mediocre lashes and $15 less in her pocket.

on 10/18/2012 7:53:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I was disappointing in this mascara. It takes forever to dry, and too much product comes out on the brush. I actually have to wipe it off on a paper towel before I use it to get decent results. Also, I didn't see very much volume added to my eyelashes. I will not buy this again, however, I will attempt to use up the rest of the tube.

My friend gave this to me went she got it free with a magazine-its roughly half the price of the mascaras I usually buy- and for that price its not a too bad product. The brush is unusually thin and long for a volumizing mascara but its nice and moist to apply-with only the slightest bit of smudging-and is easy to layer. However, I don't feel this product lives-up to the 'super volume mascara' (words that always excite me) name and is in fact much more of a low key daytime mascara. Also, this mascara lacks the glam factor. I still much prefer my favourite GA 'Eyes to Kill Excess' mascara both in the packaging and the results of the product. Love The Body Shop, but not this mascara.

on 5/4/2010 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

My mama purchased this for me. She has a huge fetish for The Body Shop items and I really like this brand, too. I don't really like this mascara, though. It smudged within the first hour, started to irritate my eyes a little but (but not as much as the waterproof mascara). One thing I'd like to point out about this mascara is the packaging. It's AMAZING. The cap actually makes a clicking noise once you close it to let you know that your tube is fully closed. It's very reassuring and keeps the mascara lasting longer.

on 3/20/2010 10:44:00 PM

I normally would never consider buying this product without reading the reviews, however I asked the SA for her opinion on a good mascara they had. She suggested this one or the divide and multiply, and I chose this in black. She assured me if I did not like it that I could def. return it, but I don't think I will be doing that. However, I don't think I would repurchase this. I have been using Lash Blast for about 2 years straight and love the look it gives me, but hate the feeling of fake, hard lashes. This, is soft, and much more natural looking and feeling, however it is sort of sticky, takes a long time to dry after just one coat, and it does not hold a curl that well. The pro is that my eyelashes are not hard and dry and it doest not flake. It can clump easily so you have to be careful to apply it carefully. I feel like this might be comparable to full n soft from the drugstore. Not a bad product at all, but doesnt offer everything I need from a mascara.

on 11/30/2009 11:53:00 AM

I tried this on in the store in Cobalt and loved it. It looked like a true royal blue. Within an hour though it's just an unnoticeable navy color that made my lashes stiff. I don't wear eyelash primer and don't really want to have to, so decided this was a no-go. I returned it, and would not recommend it.

Was excited when I first got this product, but when I wore it, I noticed it didn't give me 'super volume' nor did it lengthen very well. It also tends to smude towards the end of the day. The formula is not very good, and I would not recommend buying it at all. It was a huge dissapointment.

on 3/4/2009 12:23:00 AM

I got a freebie from my cousin last Christmas. I was surprised cause I'm not usually into TBS cosmetics. This one is pretty good. No smudging, easy to remove, no clumping, looks natural. It doesn't cause any stiff lashes. It looks good even when I'm lazy to curl my lashes. It isn't a mascara for dramatic lashes. But it's a good staple for my everyday use.

**UPDATE: I didn't know how bad this was until my friend saw me wearing this mascara and asked what happened to my lashes. I used to wear better mascaras that accentuate my lashes. She said I was better off not wearing this mascara cause it didn't do a thing and cause my lashes to droop instead. So I've stopped and switched back to my Japanese mascaras. Changed my review from a 4 to 2.

on 2/22/2009 11:57:00 AM

I got a free trial size of this mascara in black. It does give quite a lot of volume but I find it very clumpy. Too much product comes out on the wand and it's difficult to control, even though I always comb through the eyelashes after applciation.

on 12/31/2008 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Smudges like crazy on my oily lids. Doesn't hold curl nor length very well even after I've crimped my lashes. Very disappointing product, even more so sinceTBS products are pretty pricey from where I'm from.