Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup
Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder MakeupDouble Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup

3.7

Talc, Isostearyl Palmitate, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Methicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Boron Nitride, Methyl Methacrylate, Crosspolymer, Polypropylene, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green

So far one of the best pressed powders I've used. I use this over foundation to set it and give extra coverage, or alone when I just want enough coverage to hide redness and uneven skin tone without looking like I'm wearing a mask. It's very natural looking and stays put, which is important to me since I hate when I just lightly rub my face and a huge glob of makeup comes off. The only drawback is that it can make my face kind of oily after a while, so I have to blot. But a huge plus is that I can wear this overnight and not break out.

I actually purchased this product for the GWP, because I was already looking for a new foundation anyway. Oddly enough, I researched this site after I had made the purchase (and had to wait for two weeks before the free gift went into stores), which I usually don't do. I was worried at first because I read more seemingly negative reviews than positive, namely from several other oily gals like myself. Note that my skin does not start oily, in fact, after freshly washed and moisturized/makeup primed, it's actually nearly perfect, just a tad dry in the cheeks. My other worry was that the associate at the EL counter upgraded me to the 2nd lightest shade (normally I take the lightest shade in every foundation/powder because I'm so fair), because she said that this shade had more effect in covering rosy cheeks/acne marks/freckles/etc. I have naturally very rosy cheeks. Nearly everyone thinks I'm wearing blush when in truth, I only have one blush that I hardly ever wear. I chose to try this product dry instead of wet, just to test the coverage level at dry. I was amazed at how velvety smooth and easy this product went on. Most of the time, powder foundations go on me just far too powdery. I was also amazed at the coverage I got just from the dry sponge. I won't fib, I do go through quite a bit of powder foundation at a time because I do require a heavy coverage, but this product made me feel like I was using a little less. It only took about 10 uses of my other powder foundation (Lancome) to hit the bottom in the middle (that dreaded little spot), meaning I have used far too much in too little of time. Color me surprised, but I do believe in this product, moreso than others I guess. I won't say that it lasted longer than other products, because I did end up my oily self after a few hours, but like any other product, a mattifier sheet and a few pressed powder touch ups and I was fresh again. I don't feel that over the course of the day it settled into my creeper lines under my eyes like a lot of other products do. I did have to tweek my jawline and neck with a light bronzer because this shade (Linen) is just a touch too dark for me, but as soon as it gets to spring and I get more outdoor exposure, I'm sure it won't be an issue. I did notice longer lasting coverage with this shade versus the lightest one. I am going to save this foundation for days off only, because it's quite expensive for my budget, but I do really like it and will purchase again when I can.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is great for dry skin! I love how I can use it by itself or put it over my foundation. I think this is probably the only powder I like that didn't make me look dry or powdery.
It has good coverage concealing impurities well, and lasts long on my skin too.
I'm more of a creme or liquid foundation type person but this is perfect for dry skin!

on 1/12/2012 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I was running out of my previous foundation (ZA 2-way foundation) and wanted to switch to a better product so I asked my mum and she lent me a refill of this foundation in 37 Tawny. She absolutely raved about it so I gave it a shot. I think the colour tone matches me fantastically, and that's quite rare actually, so a plus point for that. It also goes on nicely with a sponge, no streaking, unevenness or anything like that. And it looked quite natural too. It did not however give full coverage; light to medium more like. It's probably buildable, but it looked like the sort of powder that cakes on if too much is used. I would have liked this as my go-to powder foundation, if not for it's 2 negative factors. Firstly, the oil-control this powder have is tres awful. Like really, really bad. I had to blot within 2 hours of wearing it. And that's twice as often as my old foundation. So that's like 6 - 8 times a day (which is a lot!). Then again - I do have oily skin and the weather here in Singapore is always hot & humid, but if I were to compare it to other foundations, this one ranks the lowest in oil-control. The other factor, is its' price. I think this foundation does work wonders for some people but not for me unfortunately. It's $56 in Singapore and that's not even including the case which probably costs another $20. The price really, really puts me off as I can get similiar results with other powder foundations for a much cheaper price. So no, I wouldn't repurchase as it's just way too expensive for me and the oil-control is sadly, crap.

on 1/3/2012 3:28:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I wear this 2 different ways. Normally I wear this over a tinted moisturizer (tarte smooth operator). I apply with a powder brush lightly to set and it's great, very natural looking. It has a semi matte finish, not dewy but not quite 100% matte either.
When I don't feel like wearing a ton of makeup apply this with a damp makeup sponge (lightly damp) by patting it into the skin with a light hand. It gives me quite a bit of coverage and when applied over a moisturizer it looks and feels very natural. It lasts all day when applied like this. My skin does not get overly oily (I have very oily skin). I do not break out from this.
My only issue is that any dry spots I have are more noticeable when I use this, but this is an issue for me with any powder product I use in dry areas. I hate the high price. Would repurchase.

on 11/2/2011 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this stuff. I have really oily skin and an uneven skintone and have yet to find my HG foundation.

PRO: Stayed on all day and night!
Color match was almost perfect which never happens
Evened my skin tone

CON: I would not consider this to be sheer like they say.
Looked cakey in areas and I applied lightly
Mask like

I have to say that I would not purchase this again. I am super bummed too because it matched my coloring which is hard for me to do and it also stayed put and kept me oil free, BUMMER! I just can't get over the mask look. I can't imagine what the regular doublewear must be like if this was the light version.

on 10/12/2011 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a wonderful powder. It provides a bit of coverage and goes on so smooth. I use this over a tinted moisturizer or on it's own. Either way, it lasts longer than most powders. With my oil slick face, I'm impressed.

I was so dissapointed in this. I love the DW liquid foundation but wanted something quick for the mornings when I am run off my feet so thought I'd give the DW powder foundation a try... I found at first it looked lovely, but then it didn't last at all, made my skin shiny, and broke me out. What a shame!

on 9/13/2011 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

so, I've had this foundation at least one year (with use on most days) so it sure does last. I have come to the conclusion that this foundation is great or bad, depending on what it is you want.

Over liquid foundation (I've used it with several different ones), it looks beautiful. Very matte, great coverage, wonderful when you first put it on. I put on my makeup at around 6.30am and it usually lasts till around 1pm, unless it is a particularly humid day or I am running around a lot. So not too long-lasting, which is my main issue. Ideally, I am after a foundation that will look good (or at least respectable, not blotchy and gross) till 4-5pm.

Secondly, this looks crap without liquid foundation first. It has barely any coverage, yet looks very obvious on your skin. Even on my oily skin, it is very dry.

I will keep looking for a longer-lasting powder.

I rated it a 4 because it is great for a short-term look, just not for what I'm after

This is my first makeup review! Ive chosen this product as my first review as it is amazing!! I love FULL coverage foundation, so this is great for me. I put a liquid foundation on firstly and then put this powder ontop! It works wonders and makes your skin look so smooth and covered. You can use this foundation on its own however- but i wouldnt recomended it as it could be very drying and very see through on its own!! Definitely recommened using a liquid foundation first and then with the sponge provided in this compact put lots of powder ontop of the liquid :)