ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.0

This is an overall okay store. There are drugstore brands and some higher-end brands. The good thing about this store is the large variety of products they carry, and it is a good store for people who do not care for higher end brands. I have to complain about the prices though. The products they sell at Bed Bath and Beyond and CVS are significantly cheaper! Sometimes I feel like Ulta is ripping me off, but I just buy the products here because it's convenient. The rewards system is good, they give you points for things you buy and you can use your points for rewards. The customer service is pretty awful. The employees have no idea about makeup. Whenever I ask them to recommend a product or shade, they look at me like I'm crazy and go "I don't know...uh...try this". So yes, there are good points and bad points.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I thought I was the only one who didn't care for Ulta! After much fanfare they opened a store in my area, and what a disappointment! The product selection is good for hair and nails, but the customer service is so bad! I can't believe how badly I am treated when I go there. In addition to being ignored, there is always a salesperson following me around (ignoring me) checking to see if I'm about to steal something. I find this really, really offensive, especially because it is so obvious. Perhaps she could offer to assist me instead? Also, I went there once for a bang trim and to have my eyebrows waxed. Never again. My bangs ended up an inch long, and my eyebrows looked like caterpillars. I'd rather be ignored at CVS or Wal-Mart because they don't pretend to be an upscale store and they have the decency to watch me via in-store camera.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Well, I put yes to "buy this product again" because I do find myself still shopping at Ulta (because it is easier to get to than a Sephora since it is in a shopping center as opposed to a mall), but I agree, their customer service needs to be improved a lot. In my area, the salespeople are mostly teenage girls with snobby attitudes. I remember this one experience I had. I was shocked when this happened. I asked two salesgirls at the counter if they carried a product that would transform my eyeshadow into a liner. I was thinking of the Too Faced Liquif-Eye and couldn't remember the name, but the girls looked at me blankly and did not remotely understand what I was talking about. Very unhelpful too. The store carried that product so they should at least know about it. Anyway, I went to the Too Faced section and picked up a box of the Liquif-Eye. I took it to the counter and told the girls that this is the product that I was referring to earlier. One of the girls picks up the box, opens it, and takes the product out of the box. Then, she opens the product and APPLIES IT TO HER HAND. The one I had taken to the counter to buy!!! And she opened it and put it on her dirty hand. Ugh.

on 7/15/2007 12:18:00 AM

The only reason I go to Ulta is when I don't feel like paying shipping, because, the Ulta near me, (10 miles away in Rancho Mirage), always looks like a hurricane hit it. About 6 months ago I was asked to sign up for the "card". I did, I know what rewards cards are, Hallmark, Sallys, etc. The next time I went to the same store as I was checking out, I asked the SA "do you need to see this", she shrugged and said no. Well, I thought maybe the card was just to get my address for mailers. Then I get a letter in the mail last month telling me that I had no purchases on my card and therefore did not qualify for any rewards. No purchases....try more than a hundred dollars. Bad, bad Ulta, you need to train your employees. They will probably clean up their act now that a MAC store opened in the same shopping center.

on 7/14/2007 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ulta is okay... but as far as make-up shopping goes, I prefer Sephora or Nordstroms.
Ulta has a better selection for high-end hair supplies (Matrix, Sebastian, Paul Mitchell, Redken, etc.) and nail products (OPI, Orly, China Glaze, Essie, etc.) which the previously mentioned stores really don't have. As for Ulta's drugstore make-up section, I rarely shop it and am unimpressed. Harmon Drugs and Walmart are MUCH cheaper for the drugstore brand cosmetics, and you can save anywhere from .50 to $3.00 on the same purchase from Harmon or Walmart (WITHOUT A COUPON), then if you buy the same item at Ulta. Who wants to get ripped off on Revlon, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Rimmel, Cover Girl, etc.? I know I don't!
I noticed Ulta sells the OPI brand nail polishes for $2.00 more than
Harmon sells them for, too. The only difference is... Ulta has a bigger selection.
As for their occasional coupons... I got a little miffed when I picked out a few BE products, and the cashier told me I couldn't use the coupon for them. Had to read the fine print: "Not applicable on Prestige brand cosmetics." I thought it meant "Prestige" the brand... because there IS a brand of make-up or a make-up line called "Prestige," isn't there? {DUH} I didn't know it meant "Prestige" referred to all the good stuff! Hell, the "good stuff" is the reason I walk in there! Booo.... Ulta!
And, as for their Ulta Club program- to which I belong for a few years now- that took a nose dive into the Crap Department, too. Back when I first joined, I remember getting GREAT gifts with just a few points earned! I actually got a FREE, small bottle of Chanel No. 5, all for having about 3 points at the time! I was so shocked, I kept looking at my receipt in disbelief that I walked out of there with a free bottle of expensive perfume! WOW! I mean... where else can you get such a phenomenal deal???
Over the past 2 years, I've noticed the reward program sheet has been revised and significantly cheapened. So much so, that I don't even bother to pick out one of those cheap, crummy rewards anymore! I don't need a free, small package of crappy Swisspers that fall apart as soon as I wipe my face with them, or an Ulta brand lipliner or nail polish! Sorry, Ulta, you're dealing with a professional-cosmetic-junkie, here! I want OPI, Chanel, Biolage, Bare Escentuals, and the other high-end brand "prizes" when I earn a reward! I don't want Cutex nail polish remover, no-brand cotton swabs, or some other drugstore crap for spending $300 (or more) in your store.
And to all who may think I sound greedy- or unappreciative (ie. afterall, Sephora doesn't give me anything "free" after spending $300 easily in their store)- that Ulta is giving me a gift... well, I'd say you were missing the point. Ulta's prices are NOT discounted... so there is no great benefit to me choosing to shop there as opposed to Walmart, Harmon, Nordstroms, Macys, Sephora, etc. If Ulta wants me to be a loyal customer and keep choosing to buy my beauty products there instead of those other places, then they NEED to keep their reward program enticing. Otherwise, I will take my money over to the department stores like Macys, Nordstroms, etc., because some of their cosmetic counters also give free gifts with a purchase; and I'm not referring to gifts of cotton swabs or nail polish remover, either. ;oP continued >>

on 7/14/2007 10:38:00 PM

i've had MANY bad customer service experiences at Ulta. all with different SA's, which says a lot.

once during a holiday season. i walked into an Ulta, there was a LOOOoong line of customers waiting to pay, i was walking past the cash wrap, noticed a cashier choppin' it up with some dude, while an older lady politely reminded her that there are many customers waiting in-line. the cashier, seemed annoyed that she was interupted and told the lady to get back in line and just wait, with major ATTITUDE!!!

i barely ever get service when i want it, and when i do, it's bad service. i'm pretty easy going so none of this really bothers me. but come on...no matter how badly the employee's are being treated. they don't have to take it out on the customers.

many stores treat their employees as potential thieves. it's goes along with working retail. and if the employees are so afraid of losing their job, shouldn't they be doing a better job at helping customers? i go out of my way to shop there for the sake of loving MU and shopping. i can deal with bad CS bc i'm sure i know more than any SA on any given day at any given ulta. i will continue to shop there (on occasion) but i would be nice to see a change in customer satisfaction as well as employee satifaction.

on 6/18/2007 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I used to think of Ulta as my emergency backup crack den, but actually, I go there much more than I go to Sephora, which used to be my #1 crack den. I don't feel as guilty when I splurge at Ulta, because I always get a good deal with my coupon plus the sales, and of course all the drugstore stuff they carry alongside the high-end lines. I never had any problems with their customer service or policies. I will add that the Ulta that opened in my neck of the woods was not nearly as big as I expected; back in the late 90's I recalled reading about the Ulta in Las Vegas carrying 50,000 products or something outrageous like that. Not so out here in So. Cal. Oh well, it's still awesome.

on 6/18/2007 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I have a love hate relationship with ulta. While its a great store that carries the regular and deparment store name brands, offers coupons, and the greatest rewards program (I got a bottle of perfume for having 6 points). I couldnt agree more that its a great store. I do have to tell you the truth behind ulta. After 4 years of my observation I'm going to have to tell you this: They treat their employee like total total crap. I dont want to support a company that doesnt value their employees. My bestfriend used to work there, and she was depressed majority of the time, because that company is not flexible at all. The managers are always getting the run around on their crucitating systems, coupons always have fine print, they dont take anything back without a receipt and customers are angry, a real retail hell hole behind the scene. An employee is constantly walking on eye shells. During the meetings they are told that most theft is done by employees so they carry a clear bag aka all employees are theives, and if an employee wants to get a salon service, they can get bumped from their appt time because they are employees, and if they come on their off day to shop, they are search before they leave ulta. After working for 4 years, my friend got 14cent raise. The average payroll for a cashier is $8.00 and the average cost of a manager is $10-12 with alot of responsibility without the compensation. The head manager gets $30000. I understand its really normal to get that amount in mid size retail company, bottom line is they dont treat their employees right with constant reminder that they could be fired for anything pity. The employee turnover rate is very high. Overall, its a nifty store that carries variety of things, and a great place to go to during christmas time or wedding season, their Ulta brand makeup is high quality, and point rewards systems is worth checking out but be sure that if you get bad customer service, or low morale, employees are product of their environment, they are really shitty pity and rude beyond believe, thats because its just the way they get treated by management. EDIT: BAD BAD BAD store to shop, Ulta has gotten worse since I wrote my last review, the associates are offensive, and rude, and do not help, and I bet they are still treated badly; Its bet its still like slave work for $8/hr. I went there recently, and the manager was at the cash register and I swear she was DRUNK, literally wasted, when she was talking to her employees. Yikes!

on 5/14/2007 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think of Ulta as being the distant cousin of Sephora. They have a good mix of brands (low-end to high-end) and my local store has recently revamped, which makes for a better shopping atmosphere. I also love the sales they run, as well as the rewards you get for purchasing there. However, they just don't have all the lines I like to shop from, which means I still have to make the pilgrimage to Sephora several times a year. Oh well--I'm still happy to have Ulta nearby!

on 5/14/2007 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I didn't know of Ulta until MUA, and was so happy to discover there was one in my neighborhood! I think of it as a lower-end version of Sephora, although they do carry many mid to high end brands (Smashbox, BE, OPI, Essie, UD) and often have great BOGOF deals on drugstore items. It seems like there's always a $ or % off coupon floating around each week too, so you always save a little too :)

Popular Other Products