ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.0

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Today, after my last ever trip to Ulta, I filled out their online survey where I said I would not recommend their store to anyone, so the purpose of this review is to fulfill that promise. I recommend you don't go to Ulta. I don't have anything new to say about Ulta, I suppose. They do have a wide selection of products, but I don't quite understand why everything is so overpriced. Unless I need something obscure, I generally won't go there, as I can find the same products at other stores for less money. My biggest gripe with this store has to do with customer service. It's ranged from average to the worst customer service I've ever had. I've sometimes felt hurt and offended by the responses from employees in this store if I ask for products that they don't know about (which apparently means they're awful products) or for whatever reason don't approve of. I don't even want to go into specifics because it's just too annoying to think about.

on 7/18/2009 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I hate Ulta because of their SAs. The store concept is great. High End and Drug Store/Low End cosmetics and beauty products together. It's like my mu stash. They have good sales and their store brand is decent.

But it takes a lot to get me to go there. I'll make the trip to 3 stores & 6 counters because it's honestly less hassle.

I've gone to every Ulta in an hours drive (which is 14). At every single one, the SAs were rude. They act like it's a favor to you that they work there.

I've talked to store managers, district managers, regional managers & customer service reps. Every single one was rude.

They are very much a "Buyer Beware" store.

on 2/18/2009 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this store!
Their price is reasonable, and SAs are friendly, also.
I visits 2 locations near my house weekly.
BTW, when you go to Ulta, you should check the clearance section.
The cosmetics are nasty, but sometimes they have good sale on Nail polishes. (I got Essie, ChG, Creative between @ $0.99-$ 2.99

on 2/11/2009 3:40:00 PM

I just got home from the MAC counter, Sephora and Ulta. I find Ulta to be the most frustrating store I ever shop in, or spend my money. I have never once been greeted, or even spoken to, or made eye contact with the staff unless I make them help me. The employees at my store (Lexington KY) are the snobbiest, better than everyone else group of people I ever encountered.
I like the fact that Ulta has drugstore products (I like NYX) and hair products along with the cosmetics and fragrances. I only shop there because of the coupons and the fact that they are the only local store that carries NYX. I normally wear a mix of MAC, Makeup for ever and Smashbox, but I like some NYX products. I wish they would accept coupons towards fragrances, but I undersand why they do not.

My biggest frustration is that when you finally find someone willing to help you they have no idea about the products. MAC was out of prep +prime lash so I thought I would grab a substitute while at Ulta. After searching over and over I gave up and finally got a sale associate to make eye contact, and I asked her if she knew off hand any brand that they carried had eyelash primer. She rolled her eyes at me like it was the stupidest question anyone has ever asked her, and pointed to the smashbox collection. They were out of their primer so I finally found Ulta professional primer. I would have liked to ask her a couple quesitons about the Ulta Proffesinal brand but no luck she disappeared as quickly as she appeared.
Ulta the store may be okay, but I cannot get over the rudeness enough to shop their regularly.

on 1/27/2009 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Beware of Ulta!!!

I had the absolute worst customer service experience ever at the Ulta store in Rockville MD. I had purchased a package of Parissa waxing strips. When I returned home the box was empty and the wax strips missing. No big deal I thought...I'll just go back to Ulta, explain the situation and hopefully exchange them.
It didn't quite work that way. Rachel the GM, basically called me a liar and somehow expected me to prove that the box was empty when I got them home. 'Well what do you want me to do?' she said. 'I can't allow you to return them as you have nothing to return.' When I complained, she told me that if I didn't like their store policy I could shop somewhere else. When I called Ulta corporate office they basically hung up the phone on me and were also incredibly rude. I spend thousand of dollars on cosmetics every year and my only comfort is that none of those dollars will be spent at Ulta. I really can't believe that Ulta will be in business much longer with the way they treat their customers. I guess I got spoiled by Sephora, Spalook, etc.

on 1/11/2009 8:11:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

There is an Ulta store right across the street from where I work, so I have shopped there on many occasions. I have never had a bad experience with a SA. For the most part, I have found them to be friendly and helpful (although, on occasion, I have witnessed a bit of "snobbiness"). Like many reviewers, I like that you can find both every day drug store items, as well as the higher-end items all in one store. I also like the large fragrance selection. I had to return an item once because I bought the wrong shade of primer (it was a higher end product) and I was not given any hassle (I did have my receipt). I did experience the slow computer problem one day when they could not accept credit cards..... but, I guess that can happen to any retailer. I have also ordered from Ulta on line, and have had no problems. When they are offering the "freebies", I found that you need to act quick, because they do tend to run out of the items quickly (especially around Christmas !!!). I also was fooled by the $5 off coupon when I tried to use it with a higher end brand- I failed to read the small print on the coupon. It did make me mad, because those are the items that you need the coupons for, but, after reading the review from the Ulta employee, I realize that it is not Ulta's fault (if what she says is true, the higher end brands refuse to give discounts on their product lines and require Ulta to sign a contract that they will not give discounts). I have not used the salon, as I have a favorite salon already, so I have no idea on the quality of service provided. Ulta does have some good deals at times, and overall, I really do like shopping there.

on 12/27/2008 3:34:00 PM

I love this store. SAs are very friendly. Lots of coupons and sales. I like the fact that they have mix of h/e and d/s products.I just wish they had more stores and more hight end products.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

We just got an Ulta in my area and I was sooo excited. When I walked in, it didn't disappoint. Yeah prices are sometimes higher but I can find anything I need which is convenient and I'd rather have convenience over price. Since it is brand new, the store is very modern and technologically advanced. I signed up for their card and unlike other MUAs it takes less than a second to scan it. I have a hard time finding a place with really good self-tanners but Ulta has it all and I go all the time. SAs have been super friendly and helpful, not "hawking".
EDIT: The more I go, the more I save. I was astounded when today I was rung up for about $30 less than I had thought I would AND received a bunch of free gifts! Definitely sign up for the card, use the coupons, and check for sales! This store is WONDERFUL!

on 12/6/2008 12:04:00 AM

I love Ulta for their versitility and cupons. Associates normally are very nice. I know that their shrinking rating is high so I suggest they hire a security person and put security tags on the products like Macy's does. Overall it's the best one-stop-for-beauty place for me.

on 12/2/2008 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

CSIfangirl said in your comment that the store knew how much they lost in an hour.

having previously worked in retail w/o security system and ancient computers............just curious, HOW can you possibly know a certain amount '$1200' without actually doing a whole store inventory?

or did your management team told you that to keep the SAs as hawkers on the innocent customers?

personally i LOVE shopping at 3 different Ulta in Florida. I've used their salon service and LOVE it, i already have a future appt for a haircut.

as for the rest of the store, I love it. The SAs have always been helpful and greeted us when we enter. Some occasion they do hawk the customers which is annoying and if they do, I tend to just spend less then I originally intended, ask that they put something back when I'm checking out so they'd be busy and not stalk other customer, and this one time, one well-dressed lady loudly complained and left all her pricy items (some prestige and CHI stuff), her catalog at the counter and stalked out. Idk if she came back or they contacted her to apologize (member info w/ ad?). But they did stop hawking everyone after she left lol.

another reviewer said that the SAs had to do this bc there was no security....umm...there's camera everywhere and that bell thingie at the door, what else are you referring to?

Popular Other Products