ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 2/10/2010 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am neither in love nor hate with Ulta. I do like having so many beauty products in one place, and not just high-end ones. However, I agree with other posters that the stores often seem to be out of product. To me, Ulta is best if you need to restock a bunch of beauty products at one time and you can just go in there and get them all quickly without running through a whole Target (every Target near me has horribly stocked beauty sections that are always half empty), having some independent beauty-supply owner give you the hawk-eye the whole time like you're a shoplifter, or driving 30 minutes to Sephora (which are few & far between in my area) and dealing with mall parking.

Ulta is not touchy-feely, but that's fine with me since I don't like people talking to me when I shop. I have never had a problem with the discount coupons because I use them to stock up on drugstore-type products, not to buy expensive stuff.
In short, I'm glad they exist as one more option for getting product.

on 10/12/2009 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I live in Virginia and sometimes shop at the Fair Oaks Ulta. So so sad. The SA's don't know anything about any products or what the store carried. The line has always been slow... and you have to wait around for the SA to show up and check you out. The point systems is kinda silly. The only reason that I go there is for the L'oreal Profession shampoo's that they have. None of the salons in my area contain the specific shampoo and conditioner that I want. So... thats the only reason I go. I don't expect the women to talk to me.. and I once overheard a SA telling a young customer that sleeping in your mascara is actually good for you eyelashes....... wtf.
Point is, I don't go there unless I need my shampoo. And thats it.

on 7/18/2009 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I hate Ulta because of their SAs. The store concept is great. High End and Drug Store/Low End cosmetics and beauty products together. It's like my mu stash. They have good sales and their store brand is decent.

But it takes a lot to get me to go there. I'll make the trip to 3 stores & 6 counters because it's honestly less hassle.

I've gone to every Ulta in an hours drive (which is 14). At every single one, the SAs were rude. They act like it's a favor to you that they work there.

I've talked to store managers, district managers, regional managers & customer service reps. Every single one was rude.

They are very much a "Buyer Beware" store.

on 1/11/2009 8:11:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

There is an Ulta store right across the street from where I work, so I have shopped there on many occasions. I have never had a bad experience with a SA. For the most part, I have found them to be friendly and helpful (although, on occasion, I have witnessed a bit of "snobbiness"). Like many reviewers, I like that you can find both every day drug store items, as well as the higher-end items all in one store. I also like the large fragrance selection. I had to return an item once because I bought the wrong shade of primer (it was a higher end product) and I was not given any hassle (I did have my receipt). I did experience the slow computer problem one day when they could not accept credit cards..... but, I guess that can happen to any retailer. I have also ordered from Ulta on line, and have had no problems. When they are offering the "freebies", I found that you need to act quick, because they do tend to run out of the items quickly (especially around Christmas !!!). I also was fooled by the $5 off coupon when I tried to use it with a higher end brand- I failed to read the small print on the coupon. It did make me mad, because those are the items that you need the coupons for, but, after reading the review from the Ulta employee, I realize that it is not Ulta's fault (if what she says is true, the higher end brands refuse to give discounts on their product lines and require Ulta to sign a contract that they will not give discounts). I have not used the salon, as I have a favorite salon already, so I have no idea on the quality of service provided. Ulta does have some good deals at times, and overall, I really do like shopping there.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

We just got an Ulta in my area and I was sooo excited. When I walked in, it didn't disappoint. Yeah prices are sometimes higher but I can find anything I need which is convenient and I'd rather have convenience over price. Since it is brand new, the store is very modern and technologically advanced. I signed up for their card and unlike other MUAs it takes less than a second to scan it. I have a hard time finding a place with really good self-tanners but Ulta has it all and I go all the time. SAs have been super friendly and helpful, not "hawking".
EDIT: The more I go, the more I save. I was astounded when today I was rung up for about $30 less than I had thought I would AND received a bunch of free gifts! Definitely sign up for the card, use the coupons, and check for sales! This store is WONDERFUL!

There are two rather large yet distinct Ulta's in my area. One of them is in the 'posh' zip code and it literally has an ethereal feel to it when you walk inside. Ultra modern and clean. It is at this location where I found a fabulous eye cream. It's the Ulta Dark Circle cream. Reasonably priced and very moisturizing. I don't have a big problem with dark circles, however. The reason I purchased this product was because I was, and to some degree, am still having issues with restful sleep. My eyes were getting a dull and aged look fast. I really think this cream has stemmed the tide of premature aging. Ulta is great because it has everything under one roof. Sephora is nice but Ulta is truly for the everyday girl.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I didn't know how to rate price and packaging so they are rated as 3's.

I have never had a negative experience at Ulta. Like Sephora, every store is different in what lines they carry. I was disappointed to see that the one I am near now does not carry Milani, and Palladio - two very good inexpensive lines. However, they did carry Pop Beauty, and Boujois both of which the Sephora close to me stopped carrying!

The employees seem allright. I have never been treated poorly but I have never really been bothered while I shop either. That is good or bad depending on how much attention you require. I don't require much since I like to take my time, play and get lost in the beauty.

I have had to return a hairdryer before that I decided I just wanted a refund for. No hassle. I was given a full refund and wasn't given the evil eye.

The thing I love about Ulta is that over the years they have broadened their product lines. I remember when Ulta first came on and they had Elizabeth Arden and a handful of other unimpressive prestige cosmetics. Now, most locations carry Smashbox, Bare Escentuals, Urban Decay, Stila and Too Faced. I like shopping for my mass cosmetics and prestige in one store because I love makeup far too much to discriminate!

I am a member of Ulta Rewards and have used my benefits a few times and love the concept. I usually go when there is a coupon and make the most out of my discount.

On the downside I think they could be a little more discerning when they hire employees. I have been to Ultas before that have employees that truly look unfit to stock the mass cosmetics aisle on third shift at Kmart. Sorry if that is harsh!

All else equal, I would shop there again. I have never had a negative experience and I like that it is one stop beauty shopping. I don't like the website though and I hope they revamp it. Sephora runs circles around Ulta on that alone.

on 7/31/2008 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Normally, I wouldn't review a whole store but I've add such good experience with this place I'd like to give them a little credit. We have a Sephora and Ulta in Memphis and I prefer Ulta. Sephora is trendy and well stocked but often disorganized and messy. Plus most of the SAs do their makeup like Boy George. The Ulta is always very bright, clean, and well laid out. The SAs are friendly and helpful with out being pushy and are just lovely ladies in general. I like that Ulta has nice, more expensive lines, urban, glamorous lines, and afforable drug stores lines as well. They really have almost everthing thing beauty product wise I could ever want. I prefer their reward system to Sephora's. Just wanted to give a little love to a wonderful store!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This review is regarding the Ulta website. It's slow, error messages pop up every few seconds, and my 'shopping cart' kept changing (things were disppearing for no reason). I spent nearly two hours working on my order and finally got it as close to correct as possible...(still showing the wrong mascara color, oh well) I received two seperate emails confirming my order and letting me know my debit card transaction was processed. I was given a UPS tracking #. This happened in May. Still no package. Customer service (phone) is beyond rude and condescending. I was sent an email survey regarding my 'experience' w/ Ulta. CS informed me that those emails are only sent after a package is mailed, then tried to tell me my debit card must be no good. These b*tches will not refund my dc or send my order. I've been robbed.

on 2/25/2008 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I live in DC and there is no Ulta so I have to go out of town. DC is very small but the metro area relied on doing business with DC. There are 3 Ulta stores, out of DC, metro area. I have often been to one in Silver Spring, MD. The store is small compared to one in Rockville and Springfield.

I don't think SA are helpful, they usually don't know what they are doing and avoid questions. One is even rude when I asked about Elizabeth Arden MU. Selections are not much but considering limited stores in DC, I can still find most OPI l love. I signed up for coupons (and reward program) and I can use them for OPI and most items in the store. I also like Bellissima (Made in France) hair accessories and they're usually 25% off.

I don't like ulta.com because it is not user friendly. I even called to CS but she told me to contact my credit card companies. ( I use plural because I tried with 3 different credit cards for less than $15 purchase). Shipping fee is not cheap, base is $6.

In short, if I want some high ends products, I'd go to Macy's or Sephora and mid-low products, Ulta is a nice place to save $, especially with coupons as long as I don't ask questions to SA. Return policy is good too. I keep going there because it's closed to the mall, good food around. Otherwise, I don't bother.