ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 9/30/2010 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So I need to rant... I have been an devoted Ulta shopper for some time, as Sephora and MAC are 30 miles away. RecentlyI have returned a couple of products that didn't work out for me. The last one being a clinique product that I returned and hadn't opened. So with the receipt in hand I was going to exchange it for a benefit product, but the store didn't have it in stock. So the manager( yes the employees aren't even trusted to do a simple return! Geez) informed me because my ulta rewards points were in the negative, she could only give me store credit. I didn't want store credit...I wanted my money back to spend at MAC. So I mentioned to her if I had not had a rewards card to begin with there would be no record of any negative points. She agreed! Told me there was nothing she could do, and proceeded to ask me for my address on the cash voucher. You comin to my house...I asked! Why do they need my address? She said it's for our corporate office, but they don't use it! Freakin ridiculous!!! Everytime I go in Sephora they give me a samples and a bonus. Never has Ulta given me any kind of gift or reward. They are a joke and I hope they go bankrupt. I can get all the drugstore stuff for cheaper in target, and I will drive the 30 min to go to Sephora where they obviously appreciate my business! Good bye Ulta!

on 8/23/2010 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Woah, what's with the Ulta hate?

The only time I've had a problem with them was back during their rare sale where they let you use coupons on High End items also. I found it unfair that a select few shoppers were sent physical coupons to use in store and the rest had to buy online to get the discount. I was confused and asked one of the associates about it and I admit she did get kind of snotty, basically telling me only customers who spent alot of money there were deserving of said coupon. That miffed me for a bit but was the only bad time I've had.

Just this week, I headed to Ulta with a $3.50 off $10 coupon to buy some Physician's Formula mineral foundation, which is, in my opinion, pricey for drugstore. It's $13.99 at Ulta. But I lucked out and got the last one that still had a vendors coupon for $4 off. And they let me use both. So I got the foundation for about $6.50, which is awesome for Physician's Formula products.

I've also never had a problem returning/exchanging. I have super sensitive skin and alot of things react to me. They always take things back, with receipt of course. I haven't tried without; I keep my receipts knowing there's the possibility it won't work.

Oh, in the negative column - they keep products FAR to long. They've had the same items in clearance for over a year at mine. And not changed the price. Many look to have been opened and used. That's gross to me. I could maybe see someone paying a dollar or two for something they can tell had been opened but they seem to cut off the clearance around five bucks, which to me is to much to risk someone else's germs. Ew.

And I do have to agree with those saying STEER CLEAR OF THE "SALON". I got my eyebrows done there 1 time because it had been a while and they were having a sale. I think it was all salon services only $5 or something. So the setup was very professional for the brow station but the lady doing it got way to close for my taste and did a horrible job. One side was almost bare. Thankfully it was the side I wear my bangs pushed to. She was also far to rough and it was one of the few times my brows swelled and turned red post-wax. But she kindly asked if I wanted concealer put on the red parts. *eyeroll* AND! If I'd paid full price, it would have been $18. And she was there when they rang me up so I felt like I had to tip anyway. I gave a very small one though. It looked so bad.

I love Ulta. They are pretty new to my area. Maybe 2 years? I love that they sell HE as well as drugstore items. All of the associates I have ever dealt with have been kind and courteous. I've never had a problem with them following me around.

I also love how they always have coupons. They take those as well as manufacturer coupons combined. I usually end up saving a lot of money.

I only went to Ulta for NYX products. In the future I'll probably just order online from discounted websites. My over all experience with Ulta has been horrendous.

Lets begin by describing the associates: stuck up. If I don't dress up to the "nines", wave money or a designer purse in their face, or walk in and head to the high end side; I get ignored and treated like dirt. I tried going to the high end side to get a good concealer. The associated shoved one brand in my face and left. No asking if I wanted to try it on (I did) or the likes. Oh well. Ulta lost a $40+ sale that day. I did an experiment one day. I wore a knock off Guess purse, a nice dress, heels, and overly done make-up. When I entered the high end side the sales ladies wanted to help me instantly. One time I tried to do a return and was treated like a thief.

My last visit was the one I described about the concealer. I just don't get what the sales ladies at Ulta's issues are but I swear that store needs to retrain their associates in customer service because they are lacking it big time!

on 4/6/2010 1:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I like Ulta! They take vendor coupons AND their store coupons on sale items all in the same purchase and you end up saving a ton of money. They carry alot of brands and have testers for alot as well. The stores are clean and the salespeole at my Ulta are fairly friendly, meaning they don't bug me other than "welcome to Ulta" or "do you need any help" (once only). My only problem is not everything is priced and sometimes their sales aren't noticable because the signs are missing.

on 4/5/2010 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I can't figure out why people on MUA don't like Ulta! I LOVE Ulta! They have a great selection of high end cosmetics and tons of drugstore brands as well! They tend to have great deals (like buy one get one 1/2 off) and they have an excellent rewards program. They also have a great salon & brow bar. Call me crazy...

on 4/4/2010 8:04:00 PM

Let me start by saying that I do not like being watched. I am an Aspie(Google it), and it makes me very uncomfortable to be observed. It is one of my biggest pet peeves to be stared at, especially when I'm trying to shop. Lately they've gotten better about it, but employees at my local Ulta used to follow people around the store & watch their every move like they're common criminals or something. I don't shoplift, and I really didn't appreciate being treated like a thief when all I'm trying to do is test some fscking lip gloss. I understand all about loss prevention, but be DISCREET or else you'll just run off the honest customers too. Example- One time about 6 years ago, the manager followed me around the store, literally standing about 8 feet away from me the whole time, with her eyes peeled. I wanted to say, "Can I help you, fatass?" but I'm a polite person so I held my tongue & ignored her. As I was paying for my items, I actually heard her say to another SA, "Well I didn't see her take anything, but maybe we got her on camera". I've never been so insulted in my life. I didn't set foot in that store for about 2 years after that. I actually wrote a complaint to the head office & got a level 5 gift certificate out of it, and believe me it was sweet redeeming it to the very same stupid fat bitch who thought I was stealing. That experience has stuck with me ever since and has really colored my impression of the store. I've gotten into the habit of always having my hands in clear view everytime I go in there, lest I get stalked some more. Like I said, lately they've gotten better, I will admit. I guess they had enough angry customers file complaints about being treated like thieves, lol...

The product selection in okay- they don't carry Kat Von D or Jane, which sucks. They carry almost the same low-end brands that Wal-Mart does, only they charge more. They really don't have much that I can't find at elsewhere for about $1 less per item. For example- my Cover Girl powder is around $5 at WM, at Ulta it's $5.99. Half the stock is always sold out, and its almost a guarantee that they won't have the one color that *I* want in any given item. The testers are health hazards, and most of the products have been opened & tested.

As for the salon- it flat-out SUCKS. I have gotten better haircuts at Fantastic Sam's. Hell, I do a better job by myself with sewing scissors & a hand-mirror. The first haircut I got there was in 2004, and when I got home I noticed that one side was shorter than the other. I got it cut again about a month ago after the HerStyler debacle(don't get me started on that damn thing!)- and when I got home I noticed that one side was shorter than the other, AGAIN. *sigh* For 50 damn dollars you'd think you'd get your money's worth right? Not only did I have to fix it myself when I got home, the idiot stylist re-fried my ends. The only reason I cut it to begin with was because it was really damaged from bleaching & using a shitty flatiron, so it really pissed me off to have this moron ruin my hair all over again. I had her cut it off to about where the damage ended, and then she started 'texturizing it', which translated to hacking random chunks out of it which I just found bizarre & unnecessary. After half-assing the blowdrying part(it was still damp when she was done), the ditzy bitch started spraying all kinds of gunk in it, babbling on about how I should always use 'protectant!'. Once my hair was crispy & loaded down with 8 pounds of styling shit, she then proceeded to flatiron it WHILE IT WAS STILL WET. I heard my hair sizzling, and expressed my concern over her scorching my hair, and she reassured me that the 'protectant!'(which was basically hairspray) would prevent damage. By the time she had wreaked her havoc, my hair looked and felt like a tumbleweed, and sure enough- my ends were burnt all over again. Dumb bitch. And it was the salon MANAGER that did my hair so I didn't even have anyone to complain to! Never again. The salon at Ulta is an effing JOKE, at least the one in Norman, OK is. I will go get my hair done at Supercuts for $12 from now on. Ugh.

Bottom line, Ulta is the dollar store of makeup stores. Not the good dollar store either(which would be Dollar Tree), but Dollar General, where you can get the same stuff as anywhere else, but where they round the prices UP & everything ends up costing more. Sephora is about 30 miles away & Ulta is only 2 or 3, so I said that yes, I'll repurchase only because it's much closer than Sephora. But still, I only go there when I have a coupon or if they're having a huge sale, or if I need something that I absolutely cannot find anywhere else. Like the Essence brand, or certain nail polishes.

on 2/15/2010 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Wow I didn't know there was so much hate for Ulta!

I haven't had any bad experiences with the customer service. Sometimes they're not so cheery, but that's like any other store. As far as the makeup selection, I like that they have a combination of high end and drug store products so I can compare and decide what I want. They carry NYX (but very limited choices, not sure if NYX or Ulta is to blame). I've noticed in the past month or so that the supplies have been depleted, but I noticed the same for Walgreens and CVS so it could be the brands themselves and not the store.

As far as testers go, ya, they don't have them, but again, it's probably the brand and not the store. Have you ever seen a Revlon or L'oreal tester ANYWHERE? And have you NOT seen testers for UD or Cargo?

The only beef I have is the hair salon. It's overpriced. Highlights and and a trim should not cost $150.

As far as the return policy, I've never had a problem with it. I return what I want when I want used or unused. Once I lost the receipt and one of the ladies that worked there told me I can call corporate and have them Email the receipt to the store so I can return my stuff and I did.

Overall, my Ulta experiences have been great. Oh, and AWESOME sales!

on 2/15/2010 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There are no Ultas very close to my house, but there are 3 within about 30-40 minutes of where I live. Every time I have been in the area of one and stopped by, I've been consistently disappointed. Not only does their rewards program suck, which wouldn't bother me if it was a great store otherwise, but no matter which of the three I visit, they always seem to be out of anything that catches my eye. Also, a lot of their testers seem to be missing or broken. I wouldn't complain so much about this if I hadn't experienced this lovely bit of customer service after I needed to return a foundation that was the wrong color and ended up breaking me out: Me: Hi, I need to return this foundation. It's the wrong color and it ended up breaking me out. Salesperson: You know, we have testers for a reason. Me: Yes, but the tester for this particular shade of foundation was missing, so I guessed based on the two colors on either side of it, plus it broke me out. Her: Sigh. I need the receipt, plus your driver's license, and you need to fill out your name, address, phone number, etc etc in this book. You are also only allowed 3 returns per year, and yes WE DO TRACK THEM, so be sure you want something before you buy it next time. Me: ........

I filled out the information and got my money back, but I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal for trying an item and not liking it/it being the wrong shade/it breaking me out, especially when I have the receipt! That was my first and last purchase at an Ulta, and though I do occasionaly pop in to browse if I'm near one, but that experience has made me wary of ever buying anything there again, not to mention they're always out of everything anyway. I have a Sephora 5 minutes away from my house and will continue to shop there instead, since they appreciate my business and I don't have to make a special trip anyway.

I dunno why everyone has had such huge problems with Ulta. Ulta is my favorite store to buy beauty needs! I like that they don't clean out your wallet like Sephora does. Everyone else must have terrible SA's and luck because the Ultas I've been to have been wonderful and it is my absolute favorite place to go to shop for makeup and beauty supplies. I like that they carry lower end and higher end products so you can pick up a lot of your staples in one place. And the coupons are great. And the sales are amazing. So... there you have it. My thoughts on Ulta.