L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.6

Spicy! It's vanilla with an edge. In the beginning, Vanilia is greener than most vanillas, keeping it from becoming nauseatingly sweet. The greenness doesn't last, however, and then it's spiced-up vanilla milk. If L'Artisans lasted longer on me, I might be tempted to buy a full bottle. But I don't love it enough to just look at it on my dresser, because what would be the point of putting it on? It's gone within the hour.

This scent is addicting! I love the smell of natural vanilla, but most vanilla-based fragrances are foody and cakey and I don't like it.
Many of those are also clearly artificial. They smell like tha liquid vanilla flavour you put in cakes or they smell like candies.
Vanilia is different. At the beginning is almost fresh and green with a metallic edge, then smoky tonka bean and after 15-20 minutes all the vanilla power comes out strong and quite sweet, but always with a vegetal quality.
It becomes quite heavy, maybe not so pleasant in hot weather.
I'm wearing this scemt these days, because I have some vials and thinking about buying it for spring, even if it's more of a dark type of scent.
Not everyone appreciate it, some say it's overwhelming, others say that they barely smell it if they come close. It really depends on teh nose you have!
I can't stop smelling myself when I wear it, till I feel stoned and addicted! After that I feel a little overwhelmed, but in a good way.
I took off a lippie because, as for many L'Artesan, it has poor lasting power, especially for that price.
Edit: I'm a sucker! Vanilia is not perfect! It becomes too smoky and rubber after a while!

on 2/17/2006 7:22:00 PM

I love Vanilia! I'm not a big fan of vanilla fragrances (they often remind me of the vanilla essence we use to flavour cakes). This one is so different, it's a warm smoky-sweet vanilla. The balance is perfect, not too smoky, not too vanillic. I love this perfume because it's not obstrusive and can be worn all year long. The drawback is that it lasts only about 4 hours on me, then nothing...gone! But I will definitely repurchase another bottle when I'm done with mine, it's so worth it! love it.

For about 60-90 minutes, this is my HG vanilla scent. In the first hour or so it borders on being too sweet, but then a wonderful--but very subtle--warm, smoky floral vanilla emerges that I just adore. And then it's gone. Can't decide whether a full bottle is worth the investment for that hour of perfection.

on 1/19/2006 5:40:00 PM

Three words: Vanilla Carpet Freshener.

on 11/28/2005 10:20:00 PM

Hmm, I don't get a smokey scent from this, but it definitely is not a typical gourmand vanilla. It is a bit spicier... *sniffs wrist and thinks* You know, I started writing this review intending to give it 2 lippies, but I swear, it's really growing on me. I've had it on for several hours now, and I thought I didn't really care for it, but I didn't go to the sink to wash it off immediately, like I would normally do. I thought it had a hint of syrupy-almond sweetness to it, which I dislike... but now that it's barely noticeable on my skin, it's nice -- comforting, ever-so-slightly spicy, but creamy. Hmm. Well, I'll give this a slightly confused 3.5 lippies. Not bad, not bad. Good for a night out on the town, or a cozy night in with your SO.

This is in my hall of fame for fragrance. It's a warm, sexy, smoky vanilla that doesn't overwhelm people. There's almost a floral quality to it.

on 8/7/2005 5:51:00 PM

A pleasant smokey and dry vanilla that's not sweet. Floral and woody notes keep it from smelling like a cheap, cookie-like fragrance. Pretty, but I do prefer SMN's version of non-foody vanilla. Lasting power is extremely poor, so 1 lippie down.

on 2/23/2005 8:22:00 PM

I found this to be way to ambery and peppery for me, not worth the price IMO. My nose is still itchy after sampling this today.

OK, let me give you my history with vanilla. In high school, my best friend was a girl who worshipped Jim Morrison and was obsessed with babies (no lie). She practically bathed in The Body Shop's very SWEET Vanilla oil, and reeked so strongly of it that I had to fight nausea whenever I was around her. I would literally be holding back the bile and trying to keep my facial expression even as I tried to withstand her smell. We are no longer friends (not because of the vanilla, but because she aggressively tried to convert me to Islam...long story), but I still shudder when I think about suffering through that vanilla hell. I thus avoided vanilla fragrances for a long time, and had NO tolerance for sickly sweet vanilla scents. Serge Lutens' Un Bois Vanille was overpoweringly sweet, and returned me to nauseating Vanilla Hell. L'Artisan's version (sampled thanks to a generous swapper) has completely turned me around with regards to vanillas. It's slightly smokey, and definitely not so sweet that it provokes nausea. It's very pretty, comforting, warm, and soft. In fact, it's very similar to Monyette Paris (!) on my skin, perhaps because of the smokey quality of the bean, or perhaps incense. The only full L'Artisan bottle I own so far is Mure et Musc (although I have great admiration for many fragrances in the line), but I'd be willing to shell out for this one. It's the Vanilla of my dreams.

Popular Fragrances