Everyday Minerals Intensive Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.9

Not tested on animals

Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide

on 5/3/2009 3:17:00 AM

I really really wanted to like this product. I recently decided to switch over to MMU so after doing some research, I ordered from Everyday Minerals since their website was easy to navigate, and I thought the personal kits were very reasonably priced. I took the plunge and ordered a lot of products. For the base, I ordered the intensive formula because it seemed like it would give a coverage that was not matte but not shiny.

For the first few days, I really loved the foundation. The foundation went on very smooth and silky, and it looked very natural. Then, the troubles began. I started breaking out everywhere- on my cheeks, forehead, chin. I never break out on my cheeks or my forehead. Since EDM was the only thing I had changed in my skincare routine, I knew it was the culprit. I've come to the conclusion that my face must be sensitive to large quantities of mica (mica is listed first in EDM's ingredients list).

I stopped using EDM and switched over to Alima which still contains mica but is listed third in the ingredients list. As soon as I stopped using EDM, the breakouts went away. It's been two weeks since I've been using Alima, and my skin has returned to normal.

I know that a lot of people love EDM but if your skin is sensitive to mica, you might want to reconsider using EDM foundations.

I wanted to try out EDM (EverydayMinerals) fdt. So, I got the free sample kit. I ordered Olive- light olive, golden medium and Golden- winged butter (all base in intensive formula) and the intensive medium concealer to try out.
I tried out Golden Medium first b/c that's the color someone suggested for NC 30 but it was too dark. Minutes passed the color changed to a almost a orangey color. So, I know that wasn't the color. I moved on to Winged Butter. At first I thought it was too light but it's almost perfect for my skin tone when first applied. However, like the Golden Medium, it became darker(very yellow) after several min. The only one that didn't change too much color was the concealer but it was too pink for my skin tone. Now, it seems to me that all the powder intensifies in hue minutes after it is applied for me.

Here's an explanation about why the MMU intensifies in color (from MakeupTalk):

"Your foundation isn't oxidizing. the pigments used in mineral makeups are metal oxides....titanium dioxide, iron oxides and zinc oxide. These are already oxidized.

Everyones skin is acidic.....the pH of skin is between 4.2 and 5.6.....so this has nothing to do with why your foundation turns orange.

Mineral makeups usually contain no wetting agents (liquids like cyclomethicone, mineral oil, esters, triglycerides...or stuff like sorbitan sesquioleate). Becasue the pigments aren't "wet out" the sebum from your pores, your liquid primer....or even the oils in your moisturizer can intensify the color of the pigments....

Yellow iron oxide is the one that seems to be easier to wet out than the other pigments (this I know from making pigments grinds). So it seems to make sense that it would be the easiest for your sebum to wet out. Your skin doesn't need to be really oily for that to happen...

If you wash your face before you apply the makeup....you are stripping it of most of the sebum. So your face probably has less oil on it when you put your makeup on. Throughout the day your sebaceous glands are pumping out sebum....eventually enough will accumulate on your face and the pigments in your makeup will look more intense....."

continued >>

on 4/28/2009 4:32:00 PM

I liked the fact that this formula gave a dewy finish. The coverage is pretty good but it doesnt blend as well.

on 4/23/2009 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was really bad for me. The only good thing is that I only ordered the sample kit. The little jars are kind of cute but it was hard to take the sticker off the sifter holes for me and I didnt know were to put the powder to swirl it on my brush b/c the top and container are too small.

The foundation its self has potential to be great but there arent any colors for someone with my skin tone and I'm not even very dark. The colors I used Tan and Deep Tan were just wrong wrong wrong. I don't see where they are getting the undertones they are claiming theses colors are. The tan looked the best on my skin even though it was too light. I don't mind a foundation that is a little light b/c it will likely oxidize and this is too light to do that with. The deep tan is closer to my skin tone but it is gray and ashy. I am starting to think they don't think they make minerals for someone with my skin tone. I am a NC45/50 or Revlon Caramel. BM has too light and too dark for me with no in between. The closest match has been Revlon Colorstay Minerals in Deep which I use sometimes it goes on maybe a half a shade too light and settles into a great match but, its kinda oily.

I don't recommend this for deeper skin tones. The blush I got from them is really pretty though.

on 4/23/2009 4:30:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I contemplated between BM and EDM for a good month or so. I did a lot of research and comparison on both. I finally decided to give EDM a try for 3 reasons:

1) Although both had mixed reviews, there was more negative ones for BM from users who only tried it once to users who had used it for 5+ years.

2) EDM is a fraction of the cost of BM.

3) EDM offers free samples ( you only pay for shipping ) which shows that they are THAT confident in their products.

What I love about EDM's intensive formula is that it feels very light, yet it gives you the coverage that you need. It lasts throughout the day while making your skin look naturally healthy.

Even though I cannot personally compare EDM to BM, I don't think I'll ever be needing to. I don't see myself turning away from EDM as long as it's around. For those of you looking into mineral make-up, I highly recommend EDM!

on 4/21/2009 10:39:00 PM

Before I tried Everyday Minerals I had been using Bare Minerals for almost 3 years. I loved BM at first, but I felt like it was drying out my skin (which is already dry) and rubbing off half way through the day, so I decided to try EDM. After one day of wearing EDM I knew I wouldn't be using my BM anymore. The intensive formula provides more coverage than BM does and stays on your skin and does not rub off like BM. In BM my shade was Fair and in EDM my perfect shade is Cool-Fair. I use Buff-Ivory or Sunkissed Fair for my under eye concealer, these both make my eyes look super bright. Much better than Well-Rested from BM. The price is super cheap! For the price of 2 BM foundations I can get the 12 piece kit from EDM and get 12 full size items. The sifter jars have a slider on them so you can close off the holes if you want to! I just love this product, the only down side is that there is no spf....other than that it would be a 5 out of 5.

on 4/21/2009 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

WOW. This is a total winner. I love MMU, and loved Prescriptives All Skins but found that their foundation a little too pink for me. Cover FX MMU was good but slightly on the powdery side, and of course both of my favorites were very expensive. Then I discovered EDM! I love how they provide free samples, and after 2 kits found my shade: Buttered Tan with a slight sprinkle of Winged Butter. Perfection! I never tried the other formulations, but Intensive is amazing. Medium to full coverage, not chalky looking, doesn't break me out, and looks incredibly natural. It's SO easy to apply, and since its a powder it never looks streaky and it doesn't "melt" through the day! Love! Also, it's so reasonably priced. The price of one Cover FX or Prescriptives foundation is the price of 6 full-sized EDM products... can't get over this!

I must also rave about the jar, with its genius closeable sifter! I travel with my MMU, and its a powdery mess after one bus ride. This allows me to keep everything neat when I open the jar - no dusty surprise for me. Yay!

EDIT: Unfortunately, going to have to remove a lippie. I realized that in the light, it is REALLY easy to make it look cakey if you apply even the tiniest bit too much, and that in turn can make your face look quite dirty. I've moved back to Px All Skins mmu, but this still beats Px for coverage. I guess I'll be going back and forth between the two!

The intensive formula works great for people who need to cover up redness or acne scars. It might take a little more building with this foundation to cover scars, but it WILL cover them!
It gives an EXTREMELY natural look. No cakiness or anything like that, unlike liquid or cream foundations. Its also weightless! Great formula for those who need to cover up blemishes :)

on 4/12/2009 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got a free sample kit with 3 shade of foundation all in Intensive. I was quite disappointed with it tho. I thought it would cover up my acne scars but it didnt, it just made my face look abit chorky,and made the scars more noticable! After about a few hours it did look abit better, so i started applying it a few hours before going out. And i used it like that for about a month. Then suddenly......BANG!! I broke out! On my chin, both cheeks, forehead, the top of my nose and sides of my face, even on my neck!

Iv stoped using it and and my skin is clearing up! I was gonna try a diffirent formula to see if another one would work for my skin, but its not worth it IMO, and if Intensive wasnt covering, getting a lower coverage formula would be pointless. I sooo wanted to like it, but i dont... Im gonna try i another MMU company.

on 4/8/2009 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I so wanted to like this, especially after trying BE, Urban Decay, TBS, and Philosophy's MMU and not having luck with them. What I liked about EM was that it wasn't itchy like BE, it gave excellent yet natural-looking coverage, and was very affordable. What I didn't like was the overwhelming number of shades to choose from and that each time I tried it (and I tried all the formulas except original glo) I would break out in little irritation bumps all over my face. I wish this worked for me because it felt great on and looked so natural!