Everyday Minerals Intensive Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

Everyday Minerals - Intensive Formula Medium Beige

Not tested on animals

Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this foundation! I like the "non-feel" feel of mineral make-up and I have way less breakouts, but some formulas like BE are too "glow-y" for me (since I have oily skin) and all the drugstore brands (Neutrogena, etc.) are too sheer, or it seems like I'm touching them up all the time. So I loved that you can customize the type of finish you want at EM! All of the colors can be a bit confusing - but the kits let you mix and match a few. Also, the intensive formula has great coverage, and seems to last WAY longer than your average mineral makeup, meaning I look as good in the evening as I did first thing in the morning. The matte finish might be better at absorbing oil, but the intensive seems to take less product for the look I want, and in combo with the finishing powder the oil control is great. The price is FANTASTIC! I usually buy all of my skincare stuff through a site called Nummafunds.com that let's you shop for a charity, or set up your own cause, and they have all of these websites - including skinstore.com (my FAVORITE skin care site). So I wrote an e-mail to Nummafunds asking if they can try to add EM as a website, they might have Sephora for those that like BE - but I really think that EM is a FAR superior product. I need to try it for a bit longer, but it may be my HG of foundations!
****UPDATE - I still like this product, but have recently switched back to the matte to help control oil. Both products are great!
****UPDATE - Now I've switched to the Neutrogena Pressed Mineral Powder which has MUCH better coverage than the Neutrogena loose minerals in that terrible brush packaging. EM started breaking me out - not sure why, which is too bad because I really liked it. That's the reason for the switch.

on 10/9/2007 9:16:00 AM

Finally, I found my HG foundation. After using BE for three years, I decided there must be a better MMU out there. Luckily, I came across MUA - awesome site - and decided to test out three highly rated brands.

First stop: Loreal which is cheap and easy to find. Pretty good coverage and without the shimmer I always hated from BE. Few selections for color, so I didn't get a perfect match. Slight itching especially when it got hot outside. 3 lippies

Second: Alima. Lots of colors although I got like 20 samples and didn't get it exactly right. Coverage wasn't as good as Loreal but I did like the finish - pores nearly vanished. Terribly itchy - immediately after application, throughout day and ridiculous in hot, humid weather. No good. 2.5 lippies

Third: EA. Eeeeek...5 lippies! This product is FABULOUS. Color matches beautifully and coverage couldn't be better on my post-breakout redness. It doesn't fall into the cracks of my flaky, over treated skin or my fine lines. And best part of all, no itching!! In fact, it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all. Hooray! I'm going straight to the site to buy a full size.

FYI - medium, oily, acne-prone, 35yo skin.

on 9/30/2007 4:58:00 PM

as a makeup junkie and freelance MAC artist, i've tried tons of foundations in multiple formulas from various companies, and when the mineral craze hit, that was no exception. i spent lots of money on Bare Escentuals, and although i didn't experience the Bismuth Oxychloride Itch, i was less than satisfied with the color selection. i tried several lesser-known, internet-only brands, and a couple from local health-food stores... i had actually found a favorite, but that company was bought by another company and restructured...as a result, the formula was changed and i had to begin my search anew.

somehow, i stumbled upon EM, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the product. not only are there no unwanted ingredients in the formula, the texture is fantastic. i like the look of powder mineral foundations, but i don't like them to feel too dry (like cornstarch). EM's formula manages to somehow be slightly creamy-feeling, and i love it. i'm pretty sure that Golden Fair is my best shade, but i have experimented with other shades and mixing shades. i'm always matched to NW20 in MAC, although i prefer to use NC15 or 20 (15 in formulas that oxidize darker) to counter the pink tones in my skin and brighten my face... in EM, i initially tried the Golden Fair, Fair (Cool), and Fair (Neutral). Golden won out because it really does conceal redness in my skin and provide the brightening effect i like. Fair Cool was a good match, but as with most pink-toned foundations on my skin, it looked too pinkish, resulting in a fake appearance. the next shade i am trying is Olive Fair, because even though i'm not Olive by any means, you never know...!

so, once i settled on Golden Fair, i tried the different formulas. as much as i love a glowy complexion, i'm very oily and therefore i have enough glow of my own! i did try the Original Glow formula, but it's just too much for me. The Semi-Matte is nice, but nothing spectacular on my skin. i adore the Intensive formula because it provides the most coverage, which i want (since i'm so fair, and acne-prone, i have uneven pigmentation in spots that takes forever to fade), but without feeling like i'm wearing any foundation (the beauty of mineral makeup). i recently tried the Matte formula, and it does seem to definitely keep the shine down throughout the day, but i prefer the more intense coverage of the Intensive formula. the Intensive Golden Fair is *slightly* darker than the Matte of the same shade, but only negligibly so. in fact, it may be an optical illusion due to more density in the Intensive formula. lately, i've been using equal portions of Intensive and Matte in Golden Fair, and that's providing just the right coverage with added oil control. of course, i always use a finishing powder (a 1:1:1 blend of Silk Dust, Balancing Dust, and Finishing Powder), but even before adding that, the Intensive foundation almost completely disguises my somewhat large pores and the pinkish-brown hyperpigmented spots.

i would love to see the option of a pump-brush applicator, rather than the sifter-jar container, because it isn't practical to carry when traveling ... for me, at least. i'm also not a fan of the new brown lids ... i like my cosmetics to look chic and i prefer containers be either black, white, silver, 100% clear, or some combination thereof (black lid on clear container, etc.). but that's a personal preference, and if i really want, i can always tranfer the product into other containers.

overall, i really like EM foundations, particularly the Intensive Formula.

on 9/24/2007 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

EDITED TO ADD
I switched to a Clinique Perfectly Real foundation and my forehead finally stopped breaking out. I took one lippie away.
ORIGINAL REVIEW
After much trial and error, I think I've found my hg foundation - or at least as close as I'll ever get to it. Light Neutral in the Buff category is a perfect match for my C3, slightly dry, sensitive skin. With the right moisturizer* I get a really great glowy finish with this product with really good coverage, too. Also, I always seem to have a problem with how foundations look under my eyes and again, with the right eye cream* and moisturizer, this looks great.
I haven't experienced any of the itching or irritation that some have mentioned. This feels really light on my skin. Liquid foundation feels very heavy compared to this.
Also, theres none of that weird shimmer that BE has.
The only CON so far is that this is a loose powder. It can be messy. However, I think EM is planning on making their foundations in pressed powder form! I'm looking forward to trying that.
*Right now I'm using Neutrogena Intensified Day Moisture and Burts Bees Radiance Eye Cream. Some moisturizers don't blend well with MMUs but these work very well. I just need a tiny bit of the Neutrogena product. Less is definitely more with it.

on 9/20/2007 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I can not recommend this foundation. It is too heavy and looks cakey. It settles into the pores and fine lines and makes me look like I am way older. I do not like this foundation or the company. Please avoid it, there are so many other companies that sell mineral foundation - this is not a good one to buy from! They have very bad customer service on top of bad products.

I'm hooked on EM foundations and this is my favourite formulation. It applies beautifully and doesn't disappear by mid afternoon and I don't get the dreaded shines from it.

It makes my skin look dewy without looking oily.

I like fairly sheer foundations so I only apply a small amount and gradually build up to the coverage that I like. On the rare occasions I've applied a heavier finish it has still looked great.

It evens out my skin tone and looks really natural.

UPDATE 2/21/2010--I love EDM es, blush, and pearl beige concealor. I have found the quality of the foundations to be more consistant lately-my GF still uses this. I am sorry to see they have done away with the free sample program and I think the website is a little kooky xanadu but overall this is a great value and definitely worth checking out. EDM prices are fair and make this worth working with.

I have sensitive, combo/oily skin with large pores and lots of redness and broken capillaries to cover. The customer service at Everyday Minerals is good and prices are fair. Unfortunately I did not find a good color match in any formula. Mostly everything was or turned orange on me. I have also noticed inconsistency in the product. I would pour powder into the cap and there might be a dark powder bubble (for lack of better description) burst. Apparently it didn't get mixed in well with the rest. Hopefully you see that before you put it on your face.

As for the Intensive Formula, it was just too much powder and settled in my pores and magnified them. I will say it has tremendous staying power and I had no problems with oil even in high humidity. This formula offers the most coverage but still did not really even out my skin.

And even though this did not break me out, it is not some miracle that soothed my skin in any way whatsoever. Finally, and I will shut up, this product is not portable. No where would I whip out my makeup bag and line up all the powders and expect to have a place to lay all the caps and brushes so I can touch up.

on 7/14/2007 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using my EM foundation sample for a week and I must say that I am very pleased with its performance. I'm kind of hard to please when it comes to foundation... everything I've ever used left my face feeling sticky. greasy, or stiff. EM foundation leaves my face feeling slightly powdery, but feels soft and comfortable all day. Never, ever does it feel caked or greasy.

Along those same picky lines, I've never found a color that matched my skin. Everything was either too yellow or too orange on me. EM's Fair (Neutral) was so amazingly close to my natural skin color that I actually did a little happy dance when I put it on for the first time! I was SO excited. :)

I was really, really skeptical about the coverage when I ordered the kit. I have some redness around the apples of my cheeks, and I was convinced that no powder foundation on Earth could cover it. WRONG! EM is truly buildable coverage, and rivals every liquid/creme I've ever tried. To add to that, since it's a powder, building coverage doesn't leave my face with streaky marks or uneven blotches.

I encourage everyone who reads this review to order the free sample kit from the EM website. The shipping is only $4 and they are a very generous size. If you hate it, at least you're only out $4, but I'm willing to bet you'll like it. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love love love this stuff! I've used a few other mineral foundations (BE, PF, Illuminiare, Alima) and I always return to EM. The intensive formula works the best for me: excellent coverage, minimizes pores and controls my ever-oily t-zone without drying the rest of my face, great shade selection and never breaks me out. Can't beat the prices and uber-fast shipping either. I'm NC15-20 in MAC and wear the Golden Fair and Neutral (warm) shades. (Their yellow Sunlight concealer is awesome for dark circles, but that's another review.) My skin looks better than ever and I may never go back to 'regular' foundations again!

on 5/17/2007 3:14:00 AM

Great product. Price wise you can't beat compared to other brands. I highly recommend.