Adult Acnomel tinted cream

No Image

3.3

Active Ingredients:Resorcinol 2%; Sulfur 8%. Inactive Ingredients:Alcohol 15% (W/W), Bentonite, Carbopol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Octoxynol-9, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Water

Adult Acnomel probably has the funniest name in skin care but I can't complain. It is a sulfur based excellent spot treatment that I highly recommend. When my face is super irritated, I like to use a mild cleanser and put adult acnomel on at nighttime.

Definitely a big fan of this product.

I really wanted to like this product, as my Oxy Maximum Strength Benzoyl Peroxide cream has stopped working on my skin. I was excited to try a new product, and had high hopes for it. I spread this all over my problem areas (which is pretty much my entire forehead and the sides of my cheeks, I have little tiny PESKY bumps all over that are not zits and they don't pop). I washed it off of my face this morning before heading off to work, and the tinted color of this product left a patch of brown discoloration on the areas where I had applied it. So not only did it leave my face with weird brown patches, it did NOTHING for my little "non-acne" bumps. I put a BB Cream on my face, and the patches that this product gave me now looked as though I didn't rub in my makeup all the way. I am very disappointed in this product and I will never use a "tinted" acne treatment on my face ever again.

on 10/18/2012 8:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I got this last winter because my mom used it when she was younger and said it worked wonders. I used it a little, but honestly I didn't have much acne at the time, and I always forgot to put it on. I eventually just stuffed it into a drawer and forgot about it. I'm really into organic healthy beauty products, so I've experiemented with oil cleansing and a myriad of other things. Something that I was doing made my skin go crazy and I broke out worse than I had ever done before. I stopped oil cleansing, which helped a little. Then I stopped using BareMinerals. I got a bar of glycerin teatree oil soap to wash my face with, and my acne started getting a little better. It was still worse than it had ever been. A week ago my mom mentioned the acnomel and said I should use it. I halfheartedly got it out and started applying it once or twice during the day, and also at night before bed. All I can say is wow; it dried up my acne within a few days. My skin was a little dry and flaky, but moisturizing my face regularly got rid of the dryness. I was not expecting results like this it, but I know from experience that one product that works wonders on one person might be a terrible product for another. You'll only know if it's right for your skin if you try it:).

PROS: works really well on my skin, dries up acne within a few days, gets rid of redness, it's tinted and can be worn under make up if so desired.

CONS: smells like sulphur, a little drying on the skin.

on 8/9/2012 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using this product for almost two years on my face and it has been my saving grace. All through my teen years I suffered from acne on my face and tried everything from prescription pills to over the counter products. A while back my mum found this product on the shelf in Wal-Mart for just $4.00 CAD so she decided to give it a try. I can honestly say that this product will take away my average pimple over night. It successfully reduces swelling and redness, and I am very pleased with it. The only downside to this product is it absolutely reeks of sulfur, the smell is terrible. I've gotten used to it, but it is definitely noticeable to other people. For this reason, I only use the product at night and then make sure I cover up what's left of the smell in the morning. The packaging really isn't the greatest, if you leave the tube sitting out for a minute or two without the lid on a bunch of the product will seep out. Also, make sure the cap is on TIGHT!! I had an experience where the cap wasn't on tight enough and it leaked all into my over night bag at a friends house, talk about embarrassing (plus it got all over everything that was in the bag and it smelled so bad!!) Other than the smell and lousy tube, I would say this product is a cheap must-have for people that suffer with acne and would recommend it to anyone!

I read all the reviews and was hoping for great results. I've used it on and off over the last 9 months, and EACH time I use it, it chemically burns my skin even when I use tiny amounts of it - the area of skin where the product was applied becomes raised the next day and rough in texture and significant peeling of the skin occurs over the course of almost a week until I am back to having my normal smooth skin again. Covering it up with foundation only makes it look worse as the skin is very rough and raw. I have NEVER had this happen with any acne treatment product, and I've used so many - benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, Differin, Acanya, clindamycin phosphate, clindaymycin gel, all in various combinations - so the fact that Acnomel just on its own caused chemical burns on my skin is particularly horrifying. I don't have particularly sensitive skin when it comes to applying acne treatment products - my skin tolerates high levels of active ingredients very well.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product definitely shrinks and reduces redness of acne and acne marks, on both my face and body acne. I don't find it to be too drying either, as long as I don't strip my face with strong face wash before applying. My main hesitation, sadly, is the smell. I only use it at night, but the smell seeps into my blankets and clothes, and even after washing them, I swear the smell lingers!

on 11/4/2010 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

I will buy this again because it works. Very drying on it's own so I spot treat over my moisturizer and I swear it works better this way. Whenever I feel a bump brewing and Acnomel to the rescue. Sulfur works for my skin and i had my tube for over a year. The tint is too obvious and orangey, no way I'm wearing this during the day. The smell, the texture, the tint are all negatives for me. Doesn't blend or spread easily but just a dab overnight flattens a cyst like nothing else. This is strong stuff and more effective than bp. Do not use on unaffected skin because it will make you red and flaky the next morning.

on 10/11/2010 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have hormonal acne and I get 1-2 acne nodules each month. If left alone, they never come to a head, linger for another 2-3 months and leave red marks. This sulphur-based spot treatment works very well at flattening these zits out completely in just a few days.
Other spot treatments like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide do nothing (I do use salicylic acid as an all-over treatment for redness). Do try a sulphur product if SA and BP don't work for you, because this might.
The cream does smell mildly like sulphur (rotten eggs). It does not bother me as it sits on my face but because of this, I only apply when I'm at home. I wouldn't apply makeup over it either, as the product tends to rub off and ball up unless you apply a very thin layer and wait for it to absorb.

on 6/3/2010 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is for the UN-tinted (white) version of Adult Acnomel cream. This cream is actually more of a paste. It can be "gritty", leave a white cast on your skin, and form pills if you apply too much. I bought this for about $5 CDN at Wal-mart. Very good packaging quality - foil tube, kind of like artist's paint. I've never tried to wear makeup on top because it leaves a dry layer that prevents makeup from adhering. It does smell like sulfur so I think most would only wear this at night. I've tried both spot treatment and applying an even layer everywhere (thick and thin layers). I've tried both once- and twice-a-day applications. This is more mild than benzyl peroxide and does not cause redness or irritation. Does this prevent acne? maybe. Does this treat formed acne? maybe. I guess what I'm trying to say is: this is not a miracle product. Maybe it helps a little, but the results weren't drastic so it's hard to say whether this improved my skin. My skin is still breaking out. My acne still takes several days to heal. Sometimes I reach for this. Sometimes I reach for benzyl peroxide. Still searching for that miracle cream.

on 1/23/2010 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I had a similar experience as others have mentioned--I regularly use other sulfur-based skincare and never have a reaction. Acnomel gave me large, itchy, dry patches, almost like hives--anywhere I applied it. The first time I didn't realize it was the Acnomel, I thought it was in conjunction with another product I had used. I tested it once on a blemish on my chest to "test" it and had no reaction. So when I used it to spot treat the second time and got the same big, swollen cystic acne (4 spots this time, great!) and the itchy welts I know this is the culprit. Perhaps I have a reaction to the other active ingredient. It seems to be a case by case basis, so I highly recommend a single patch test on your face to see if you get a negative reaction or if it works for you.