beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

I have mixed feelings about this sponge. I like using it damp to bounce foundation onto the skin. It does blend nicely and makeup looks airbrushed. In this way it lives up to the claims.

I wash it religiously. I have used beautyblender's own liquid cleanser and beautyblender's solid cleanser. I have followed recommendations on Makeup Alley's Makeup Board and tried Dr. Bronner's and Dawn. They all work pretty well to remove the makeup but none of them do it as easily or thoroughly as I would like. There are still flesh-colored makeup stains on the sponge. The pink dye is not colorfast, so it gradually comes off. It can come off on white towels.

No matter how much I wash it, I occasionally get little black dots on the surface. One reviewer I found on the internet said this was mold. Another reviewer said it was not mold and nothing to worry about. But I don't like the black dots. I know they are not supposed to be there, so when that happens I wash the sponge more and they do come off. But what are they and why do they occur? I am perplexed. I have tried another piece of advice which is to set the sponge on a windowsill in daylight to dry. I think that helps but it is another ritual I have to remember to do, and I am busy in the morning. This darn sponge is high-maintenance. My brushes are easier to use and clean and as long as I use brush cleaner, they stay in good shape with no mysterious weirdness to combat.

I think the beautyblender blends foundation well, but it is overpriced, and especially when it is so annoying to keep clean. Because I take care of it, following the instructions of the manufacturer and its many worshipers, it soaks up more of my time than water. I use this pink sponge once in awhile and I like it, but I prefer the Real Techniques foundation brush for the simplicity. My foundation looks just as good with the brush, and it's easier to keep clean. The beautyblender is good but I have to fiddle with it a lot. It is too expensive for what it does.

on 6/29/2016 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I just love beautyblenders... The make up looks more dewy which I love (if you don't - grab some extra powder) and prevents it from looking cakey. It's so universal - concealer, foundation, contouring. I'd recommend it to anyone!
PS. I've tried the red one and that one bled colour which I didn't like so I prefer the pink one.

on 6/28/2016 11:50:00 PM

It amazes me that many people do not know that you're supposed to wet the beauty blender then squeeze it out. I put a small amount of foundation on the back of my hand and pick up a bit on the sponge. Then starting at the middle of my face I sort of bounce the foundation on my face. Then I go back and add more foundation to spots that need moved coverage. I even use the beauty blender to blend my concealer. The beauty blender enables me to get a streak free finish and use less foundation. I find that my makeup look very natural and lasts longer.

on 6/20/2016 6:34:00 PM

Ok, so I have super mixed feelings about this little sponge. I feel like it did give my face a nice finish with bb cream, concealer and cream blush. However - my face felt dry after a few hours. Like, REALLY dry. I layer several products before makeup in the morning - antioxidant serum, moisturizer, physical sunscreen. It's summer now, but in the cold months, there would also be a layer of oil. But using the beauty blender, I felt like I was slowly but surely blotting off everything, and my face felt very "bare" afterwards - I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe that's the point, because I often read reviews where women mention that various products "feel heavy". I don't really notice that anything feels heavy on my skin, and I use lots of rich moisturizing products - in fact I actually like to feel my products on my skin - it feels like they're doing their job then. Does that make sense?? I have super dry but acne prone skin, and after many years of trial and error, I've discovered my skin does best when it has a well fortified barrier. My last cleanse of the night always, always starts with oil - I've found the type of oil isn't as important as removing EVERYTHING from my face, and I may or may not cleanse again, depending on how dry I feel and whether or not I'm currently loading up on antiagers like Retin a or tazorac. Anyway, my point is that applying makeup with the beauty blender made me feel as though I was blotting off the protective layer I always try to have on my face. I'm actually happy about it, as it isn't exactly cheap, and I spent at least 4-5 minutes washing it afterwards, so I feel like I tried it & I'm glad, but I don't see myself using it, except maybe very occasionally, so I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

It is verry good at blending but it broke so I wont buy again. the real techniques one is as good and more solid so... and for the price I got 4 RT ones so

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using this with my foundation exactly 2 months ago. Can't live without it now. Will repurchase although I have a BIG issue with it.
I've used it for only 7 weeks (once daily) and already there's mold on it. Before one says I've not managed it properly, let me say,
@I clean it after EVERY USE with the original BB soap
@I let is stand on its side, vertically, perched on top of its container in my airy vanity top, so it stores/dries properly - never inside a containers or enclosed where mold can grow.
Yet, small patches of mold appear, and only after less than 2 months of usage. I'm devastated as I really love using this for foundation. At a per use rate for less than 60 days, it is very very expensive.
Updated 19July2016:
I snipped off the tiny black specks on the sides of my BB with a pair of small scissors (the top and pointed ends are not affected/disfigured). I now put it in my bedroom (instead of my bathroom shelf) to dry. So, all's good. As I said, this is really a wonderful makeup tool despite all.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

A wonderful sponge to apply my liquid foundation perfectly ! The only con's is that you have to wash it after every application but the result is much more better than using a brush !

PROS -ideal for sensitive & dry skin or if you are on acne medication and flake a lot
- easy to wash & dry
-will last you forever if yodon't ke care of it
-it's a fast and gentle way of applying foundation
-can be used to apply & blend any product of liquid or cream consistency
- small

CONS- it absorbs a lot of product (as sponges do) so don't press too hard when applying or you will look like you have barely any product on (also depends on type of coverage you're using)

I have the Beauty Blender Pro (Black). It is my ride or die sponge. I have tried so many spoofs but they haven't stood up anywhere near the real thing. Since I bought mine in a bundle with Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation at Sephora it was 1/2 price. I refuse to live without one and I want to collect them all.

on 5/14/2016 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

I finally decided to give in to the hype and buy the Beauty Blender, out of sheer boredom more than anything. I've never had problems applying my foundation with brushes, but I wondered if this would be somehow better. It wasn't. After dampening the BB, I set about to using my normal foundation Estee Lauder Double Wear...and found that the sponge made it drop from full coverage to medium coverage. Now I understand that some people want a more natural look...but if that's the case, you should invest in a lighter coverage foundation! I was pissed off after using this on half my face--I wear EL because I WANT full coverage. So I ended up washing my face and redoing it with my regular Real Techniques brush. All in all, this product was not for me. Also, application took a lot longer with this than it did with a regular brush.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools