beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

SO CUTE, I love the hot pink color and little egg-like shape. It makes my concealer and/or liquid foundation look GREATTTT. My fingers and/or brushes cannot do my face justice in comparison.

However, it shrinks...but it does expand once in water. It just shrinks and also leaks pink dye after the first few uses.

Packaging: VERY CUTE. It's reusable and convenient. It also doubles as its "drying stool" and you can store it in the package again and again.

Get it when Sephora has a coupon or something, as it is pricey. I splurged, but still got it 15 percent off! :D

GET THIS. seriously.

on 5/6/2010 1:09:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used this with Revlon Colorstay. Without the sponge, the application looked dry and lifeless. Using the sponge damp, my foundation looked dewy and much more even on my face.

However, I wouldn't buy this again because it's expensive AND I get similar results by dampening a better quality wedge sponge (like SDM's Quo brand). I run it under the tap, squeeze out as much water as I can, then apply foundation by stippling it on. Works amazingly! Though it doesn't have Blender's egg shape, the wedge works fine.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Hello my beauties, and fellow makeup lovers! :-)
I actually read reviews on this for the longest time, and had many mixed feelings about spending this much on a little sponge. After YEARS of trying dozens of brands and never being able to quite find foundation that matched me well, didn't oxidize too badly, didn't turn me into an oil slick, AND felt lightweight on my combo/oily skin, I finally found what I was looking for in the wonderful world of MUFE HD foundation and supermatte setting powder. BUT, even after finding the perfect foundation/powder combo, I STILL couldn't get the *application* I was looking for - something sheer and beautiful that looked like my own skin, but flawless and airbrushed. I tried EVERYTHING - applying makeup with my fingers, makeup brushes, wedge sponges, etc. It was like I could tell that one day I would really fall in even deeper love with my foundation IF I could find something decent to apply it with. Enter BB sponge. I ordered the set of 2 sponges earlier this year, & without looking at any real directions (LMAO), I used it dry to blend in my foundation. Ehh - I still wasn't moved, and didn't use the sponge again for a few months. One day this week, I finally realized that I needed to take the time to look at videos of OTHER ppl using the sponge to see if maybe there was some trick to it other than what I thought there was. Ahhhh, stippling IS easier when you use the sponge slightly damp. All of a sudden, it clicked. I used the sponge just as I had seen on other makeup gurus' blogs, and was sooo excited. It goes without saying that this sponge probably should be banned from anyone EVER trying to use it dry. You will NOT get the same glorious effect & may even give up on it on the spot like I almost did. Once it's wet, it will expand, and once you ring all the excess water out, it leaves the perfect oval-bottomed surface to blend your foundation until it's dreamy. Maybe it's the kid in me, but my guilty pleasure was bouncing the sponge along my face like a ball. It was soo soft, and I was having so much fun with it, I almost couldn't stop myself from blending! LoL My foundation didn't look overdone. It was light, airy, just right. PLUS the fact that the sponge was slightly damp, almost seemed to have an unexpectedly added bonus - the moisture from the damp sponge seemed to make the foundation LAST LONGER, because it hydrated my skin, thus, perhaps limiting the need for my skin to produce EXCESS oils. Isn't that something? The only downside to this would be the price - and just maybe the potential for each sponge to have a limited shelf life in your makeup bag. there's only so many times anyone can keep this from tearing considering you have to wet it and ring it (for best results) to use it, wet it and ring it repeatedly to clean it - both of which you would have to do daily if you use it that often. So, these are wayyyy too expensive to have to be replaced as often as you probably will need to. But as far as product performance, it really does do what it is supposed to. It can, and WILL transfer anyone into a living doll! That is, once you figure out what to do with it. ;-)

on 5/13/2010 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I can't live without these! Nothing applies foundation better than these pink bouncy cuties. They are very long lasting as well (might sound gross but I have been using the same one for about a year)- don't ridicule me, I wash it really well with anti bacterial soap and have never broken out. If anything it isn't as vibrant as it was when I first bought it, but it still does it's job. It's easy to get under the eyes, around the nose brows and hairline with this sponge. Flawless natural finish every time. It helps your makeup look like perfect skin. Will always repurchase (I already bought backups for travel).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

The miracle egg! Omg how i love this sponge. This tiny pink egg delivers amazing results with foundation, cream blush, highlighters, u name it. Applys better than any brush ive tryed. Makes foundation look airbrushed, soft and perfect. Cant live without my pink egg! Love it!

on 6/20/2010 3:35:00 PM

I was very skeptical about this little pink sponge. I taught it was just a sponge! In my opinion It has exceeded my expectations. I have always applied my liquid foundation with my fingers, I don't really care for brushes. The beauty blender gives me the best finish for my liquid foundation. I use the sponge damp, I think it gives a more natural flawless finish. I use it with MUFE mat velvet plus. It looks as if I am not wearing foundation. It washes well. I am really pleased with the pink sponge. I will repurchase again. On days when I don't use it I can really tell the difference.

on 9/14/2010 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: Feb 2011 Right after I wrote this review, I began using the sponge more on its side, using more of the pointy end, rather than at the very bottom fat part. I like it even better this way. I still don't find using the very top point all that useful though. It seems like if I need to touch up something that tiny, then a small brush works best. I'm still very much in love with this tool. It makes applying flawless foundation so quick!

I still find it most useful for use with liquid foundation. That being said; I do own Boots #7 mousse foundation, (which is awesome) and the BB makes a nice application, but it does not fit down into the jar opening, and probably picks up (wastes) more than dipping in a fd brush or using fingers. It also does not speed up the application process of mousse. However, the finished look is great, and probably helps guard about having a too heavy appearance, which can happen pretty easily with the mousse.

Bottom line, for speed, ease of application, and finished results, it, for me, is still most useful for liquid foundation., I did not think it useful at all for stick foundation (shiseido) and do not own any cream fd to try it with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Love this! It makes applying liquid foundation so quick! Its virtually foolproof so long as the sponge is damp for use. My makeup looks seamless with so little effort. Plus, it makes the product go a lot further than a brush or even fingers. I've become smitten with Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau, and one depression of the pump onto the back of my hand does my entire face with this sponge. I start out by putting concealer under my eyes (Cle de Peau), then dip the larger end of the sponge in the little puddle of foundation which I've squirted on the back of my other hand., and just bounce it everywhere quickly. Under my eyes I do go over the concealer with the sponge, but don't concentrate on the area. I rarely use the pointed end of the egg

I've tried rubbing the pointed end onto the concealer stick, and applying it to my under eye area, but that does not seem to give any better results than just patting the concealer on with my finger first.

I did use this a couple of times with Shiseido's stick foundation, and it can be done, but it takes a lot longer. Maybe I was not doing it right, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of stick foundation.

I have not tried the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge, mainly due to reading several reviews saying how much extra product the sponge absorbs. It did not seem to be a cost savings to me to buy a less expensive sponge, if it was going to make me go through my foundation faster.

As others have said, the cleanser is ridiculously expensive. and the sponge needs to be clean or it doesn't work correctly. I like the way the cleanser smells, and the convenience of the dispenser bottle, but, when this bottle runs out, I plan to try Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser (as per another poster's suggestion) or some sort of more reasonably priced product to wash it with.

on 9/23/2010 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Believe the hype! I wish I had bought the 2-set, as it is way more price effective. The plastic packaging is kind of flimsy and potentially damaging to the brush. Mine did not come with the dvd, but oh well.

It really does not waste product. I use my fingers to apply the product and deposit it on the general area I want it to be on my face, and start stippling (bouncing) and blending--I try to get the most out of my products, so believe me when I say this. I was hesistant to buy this not just because of the price, but because I was afraid it would waste product. I can't emphasize enough how great the finish is.

It blends my undereye concealer, cream blush, and tinted moisturizer really well--who needs expensive airbrush makeup when you've got this? SO much better than a foundation brush.

I just got mine, I hope it lasts for at least a few months. Will update accordingly.

After using this for almost a week, I like it even more! I get a really nice airbrushed look with this. I like using this much better than my foundation/concealer/blush brushes for my liquid-y makeup. Obviously for my powder makeup, I like brushes.

For those concerned about the time it takes to wash it, it really doesn't take that long (trust me, I'm lazy!).

on 10/4/2010 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I purchased this item at IMATS LA 2010 in Pasadena. One vendor was selling them for $10 each. Why I didn't purchase a gazillion of them I'll never know.
I have purchased the SK version at Target at least three times. I was always disappointed with the product. It would begin to break apart after two or three washings and would crumble on my face. The BeautyBlender feels softer and more pliable in my hand. I have vigorously washed this sponge a minimum of 10 times and there is absolutely no crumbling or breaking apart.
I use creme foundation (Cinema Secrets is the foundation of the moment). I use a foundation brush to apply the product to my face, spritz the BeautyBlender with my glycerin and rosewater solution and stipple/blend the creme foundation out. I get such flawless coverage that I have been asked if I airbrush my foundation. It does that well.
You don't have to use so much product to achieve the look you are going for.
I definitely recommend the purchase of the BeautyBlender. When I attend IMATS LA 2011, I will definitely stock up.

on 10/4/2010 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Ugh this is so expensive for a sponge! ...but so worth it. Love the pinkness and the expanding when wet, but seriously hate the price.

Pros: Pink, Gives the most gorgeous, airbrushed yet skin-like finish I've ever seen
Cons: Expensive

I've also tried Sonia Kashuk's and hers is a bit denser, which I like. IDK, I like both and can't choose. But I'll definitely be buying this again....if only for the cute pink eggness of it.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools