beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 9/11/2008 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Just received mine in the mail recently. I think my foundation brushes are going into retirement. It is idiot proof (perfect for me). My concealer and foundation go on easily and flawlessly. The pointed end gets into every nook and cranny on my face effortlessly.

The only negative thing for me is the price, but I love it nevertheless :-)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I agree with PandaKoeken's review (below) 100% (well put, btw) and would add two comments on this product: 1. It's not the kind of sponge we're used to...not sure what it is, but it's better (more "cushy, dense...I dunno) and 2. It really bothers me that I can't get it clean. I've used everything but it remains stained. If anyone can hook me up with a solution to this please email me. TIA.
Overall, worth having, great for travel, if used as directed (moisten & bounce onto skin) it does indeed provide flawless application.

on 12/23/2008 11:52:00 AM

I am now on my 2nd BeautyBlender sponge and would not dream of putting on foundation without it. I've tried em all..."foundation brushes" , all types of sponges, fingers, etc ...nothing works as well as this little pink wonder.

I've read reviews complaining about the $20 price ( a good foundation brush will cost you $30 & up) just remember you get what you pay for in this world. And no it won't last forever, & neither did my last car. They do eventually become stained but they don't crumble; in fact I still have my original sponge I keep for emergencies & travel. If you have tried this sponge and don't like it, then you are not using it correctly, simple as that!

First: You must wet the sponge... it can't be use dry!!!

Second: You need to squeeze out most of water so that the sponge is damp....not dripping wet!!!!

Third: Put a small amount of foundation on the back of your hand and lightly dab the sponge into the foundation (using the large end for forehead, cheeks, small end for around nose & eyes) then apply the foundation using the pouncing motion described in the instructions and the Beautyblender website.

When used correctly, you can hide imperfections with a second light pouncing over those areas while leaving the rest of your face with the lighter coverage that gives a flawless no-makeup look. You end up with as close to an airbrushed look as possible without the airbrush.

As to care, if you wash this sponge after each use and set it out to dry throughly, it should last from 6-9 months. The only problem I've experienced was small dark areas that formed after serveral months of use. I soon realized I was not allowing it to dry out prior to storing it. So now I let it dry completely prior to putting it in a drawer/case. Oh, and don't be tempted to use bleach to get rid of dark spots, it will "melt" the sponge.

I have also read reviews complaining that this sponge waste makeup...Not True. In fact, brushes & fingers waste more foundation than this sponge. Just remember to use a light touch when dabbing the sponge into the foundation... don't slather it with foundation!

To sum it up....this is the best foundation applicator next to a professional airbrush setup, which by the way will cost you several hundred dollars...not $20!

on 1/17/2009 5:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I use this sponge exaclty as explained by DonnaL, and I am more than satisfied by results. Very good coverage, but also very natural looking skin. I own mac's 187 too, and I have used it for my liquid foundation before I got a beautyblender, which for me gives superior results.

on 2/18/2009 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

So far so good. I can't master putting on liquid foundations with the 187 (skunk) brush. I end up giving up and smearing it on by hand. With this, I get how to "stipple" and it comes out looking airbrushed. I end up using LESS foundation because of the water I've added to the blender - it dilutes my foundation but it looks just as good. To me, It's also different than using a wedge because of the shape and texture - a wedge doesn't have the tiny pointed tip (it has more of a doorstop shape) to get into those little crevices of your face. Makes putting on makeup easy and fast. Just wish it was more travel friendly!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Well I gave this a 5 because its a pretty good sponge, but it doesnt do anything out of the norm of a sponge, its really cool though cus when you wet it it gets super big compared to its original size, it applies studio fix powder pretty good too, even when damp.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this sponge! I was skeptical at first--and it is a little expensive for "just a sponge"--however after using this for a few weeks I know it's waaaay more than just a sponge. It doesn't compare at all to the usual sponges used to apply foundation. The key to getting the most out of beautyblender is not to rub--just kind of dab (it does all of the blending for you using this method, without wiping the foundation off). I have the mac 188 and just about every other foundation brush, but nothing really compares to this! I've used beautyblender with almost all of my liquid foundations and it performs equally well with each of them. If you prefer liquid foundation, this sponge is a must for you to try!! I'll definately be repurchasing.

on 3/15/2009 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is amazing! I bought the two set one (one for myself and another for a friend of mine) for $26.00 before shipping/handling. If you buy one on it's own, it's actually $20.00. First of all, it's not just a sponge so don't feel like for a piece of sponge, it's too expensive. It applies liquid foundation amazing. Better than just regular drugstore sponges and maybe even foundation brushes. Just get it a little moistened and I just take a bit of foundation on my hand, dab this sponge into it and apply it onto my face using pushing motions, not dragging motions. It looks so amazingly flawless, you can't see anything but smooth, even skin (depending on your liquid foundation :D). I also like to use this to blend in my concealer afterwards. It works good underneath the eye because the little tip at the end of this sponge can fit comfortable into small places. It's also non-latex and hypoallergenic so that's really good. I'm a pink girl so I love the colour as well. :P Anyways, I really impressed with this sponge, I will never go back to $3.00 packs of 12 sponges ever again.

on 3/22/2009 3:48:00 AM

this beautyblender is great!!! it works so well!! i totally don't use my brushes any more. the pink egg is soooo cute and sooo pink. although i never really used sponges in the past, this pink egg is very good and does apply an airbrushed look to your face in less than 3 mins!!!
i was using the mac 187 but this was so much quicker to use and looked so flawless.
one bad thing about the sponge is that it does use up a little more foundation than the 187 brush i still way prefer to use the beautyblender over a brush. it's actually a lot of fun too!! just bounce bounce and bounce and your foundation is done! you can also use the pointed end for concealer and to reach hard to reach places on your face. the rounder bottom is used for foundation as well as for blush. this is really the only thing you need in order to complete the perfect application everytime!!
although it is recommended that you change the beautyblender every 3-6 months, i personally think that you can use it for much much longer, if you use the cleanser to make sure it's clean after every use.
i will definitely re-purchase! i want to buy it in bulk!!!

on 4/3/2009 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was lucky enough to buy this at wholesale (half) cost. Probably the best makeup sponge I've used and I like it, but I like my 187 better.

Liquid foundation -- I definitely use more product when using the BB -- 2-3 full pumps vs. the 1-2 pumps with the 187.

Finish -- very nice -- a little fuller coverage than the 187. But most days I only want sheer-med coverage.

It's cool that I can just turn the sponge over to a clean side and use it to apply cream blush.

I haven't used the sponge with any powder products yet.

I've been using liquid castile soap to clean and it's fine. I'm sure that if you wear a heavy, long lasting foundation that you may need a stronger cleaning product.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools