beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I was using a MAC 188 brush to apply my foundation, but not anymore! The beautyblender is the best thing I have bought so far. It makes my foundation look so smooth and flawless. Luckily, my local Pure Beauty sold this so I didn't have to order it online. It retails for $19.95. Right now, I'm using this to apply Dior Forever foundation and I truly look like I have nothing on. Just my skin, but better. I'm so amazed. I know it doesn't look like anything special but it's a remarkable product and I can honestly say, I can't go back to brushes just as long as this sponge exists. Love it!

on 3/8/2008 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is definitely a good investment for those who prefer to use sponges over brushes. The material it's made out of is very different from regular disposable sponges--- it has a velvety feel that reminds me a little bit of memory foam. It fits nicely in my hand and when wet, it feels very light. It leaves me with a nice finished look, almost airbrushed.

How I use it - I wet the sponge and squeeze it til it's damp, then I give it a few sprays of MAC fix+. I put foundation on the back of my hand, dip my beauty blender into the foundation and use the stippling "bouncing" method against my skin. I set it with loose powder. Sometimes I apply my foundation with my MAC 190 first, then finish by buffing my damp, Fix+ sprayed beautyblender afterwards. Either way, I love the way I look afterwards.

I have yet to try it dry.

I am extremely pleased with this sponge! It's very easy to use, soft and gives that flawless no-makeup look when applying foundation. I tried it with tinted moisturizer (Stila TM & Clinique TM), liquid foundation (Estee Lauder DoubleWear Light & Clarins Truly Matte Foundation), and powder foundation (Diorskin Forever Compact Foundation SPF 25), and all three looked great and flawless. I'm very pleased. I still have to try it with cream as well as powder blush. I haven't tried it with concealer yet, cause it seems too big for the eye area...but I'm definitely curious to try. Plus, it's quite easy to clean with their cleanser. Highly recommanded.
EDIT: I've reduced my use of it because it's a hassle to wash it every single time, after every single application, especially if I'm on the move. I've found an equivalent and that's MAC 187 and MAC 188 brushes (they're fantastic by the way). But, otherwise, it's still an excellent sponge and I definitly use it when I'm going for a really natural seemless look.

on 4/27/2008 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I finally gave in and decided to buy this sponge. The verdict : The best I have ever used.

It really works and does everything it claims to - foundation is easy to apply, blends in very well and hardly any of the product soaks into the sponge itself. I found myself only using half the amount I normally would if I had used a makeup foundation brush or another sponge brand.

If you follow the instructions and care for it, it'll last you a long time. I bought the kit which gave me 2 sponges and the cleanser for $40.00 USD - an expensive,luxury but wort it :0)

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i got two eggs shipped for $25 at dermadoctor, so to me, it's not outrageously expensive. yes, more expensive than a drugstore sponge, but it really does feel different. i probably wouldn't pay $20/each though. it is a cute, nifty lil sponge that really works. it is durable (if you take care of it and keep it away from the cat) and really saves me a lot of time. sometimes, i wet the sponge, depending on the type of foundation used. it also works well dry. you do have to play w/ it a lil to find the right application technique that works for your skin. i haven't applied foundation w/ a brush ever since i got this. oh, and i'm doing fine w/o the sponge cleanser. my makeup still comes off and the sponges still look new and hot pink.

on 5/17/2008 9:24:00 PM

I *love* this product. Let me start off by saying that I own a MAC 190 & 187, I also own the Sephora professional brand foundation brush, stippling brush, & kabuki brush--NOTHING makes my foundation look as great as the beautyblender. I have also tried other sponges, it's just not the same. Of course, I use this damp & I use a liquid foundation, I find that the foundation goes right into my skin & there is absolutely no streakiness, blotchiness, nada. It looks natural, covers every imperfection perfectly, & it leaves me looking dewy/glowy (I'm guessing because the sponge is damp?). I was a little skeptical because it's a SPONGE for 20 bucks but after reading the reviews I went out & bought the twin pack at Ricky's for 27.99. Not a bad deal at all. The only thing I can say is that it is a fragile little egg, one of them ripped on me when I was cleaning it so I'm thankful that I bought the twin pack... even though it's a little damaged, though, it still works like a charm. Won't buy the cleanser though, I find that regular brush cleanser or Dawn dish soap works just fine. Will repurchase as needed.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I hesitated about buying this because of the price. But after reading the reviews on this site I HAD TO HAVE IT. This little pink egg is really hard to find in this area (Washington, DC). I had to stop using brushes because the hairs were so irritated to my sensitive skin, and so I had been using ds sponges, Laura Mercier and Sonya Kayshuk sponges. Nothing comes close to comparing to this sponge. The stippling technique is so easy that a caveman could do it (LOL); it's just easy to catch on. And the finish is great, really a great classy almost-airbrushes look. I use it for mineral foundation, mineral blush, mineral cover cream, and to put a base color of eye makeup on. Heck I feel like a pro now!

on 5/30/2008 9:18:00 PM

I really wanted to like this and hoped I would change my mind about it. That's why I've waited 5 months to write a review. It does a very good job of applying a light, seamless layer of foundation, but the inconvenience of the sponge outweighs its good points, IMO.

First, my bathroom is tiny and has very poor lighting, so I do my m/u at a lighted mirror in my bedroom where there is no sink. The need to rinse the sponge before and after using it is just too impractical for me. I know that most people don't have this situation, but it's something to consider before buying.

Another problem is that the blender must be cleaned thoroughly after each use. I'm always in a hurry when I do my m/u in the morning and I think washing the blender takes longer than actually using it to apply my foundation.

For the price, I expect something more user friendly. I take out the Beauty Blender only for special occasions and probably will not repurchase when mine wears out.

on 7/16/2008 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i like this product. but i do think that it is a little overpriced and doesn't do anything particularly special. but i would probably buy it again because it's cute and pink!

on 9/5/2008 8:12:00 PM

It's just a sponge, but it works wonders. My foundation has never blended so seamlessly with my face. I only realized after one application that all the foundation brushes I used were inferior. I wish there was a case provided for travel, but this is my HG for home foundation application. I've found that Purpose cleansing gel works well to clean the sponge. However, I still have stains from my cream foundation that I use on it. I watched the introductory video and made sure I allowed the sponge to soak in some water and squeeze it out before I dab a small amount of foundation and bounced beautyblender over my face. I use a much smaller amount of foundation now. I will continue to repurchase.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools