beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 11/12/2011 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I came across this sponge here on makeupalley and found one on Ebay. Am I glad that I purchased this little gem! Like other reviewers, I was initially skeptical about an egg shaped sponge. I watched the video on proper use on the beautyblender website (www.beautyblender.net). But, after my first use, I was sold. I used a cream foundation to try this out (a very tricky to apply Siganture Club A 8 Butters Creamery Foundation and Concealer) and the application was flawless, seamless and best of all, quick. I found that I was able to quickly stipple both the concealer and the foundation. I even used the sponge to stipple on the Signature Club A Jet Tech Aloe Puffed Powder (a pressed powder) to set it all. The results were simply beautiful. I had not been able to successfully use this foundation to my liking (even though a stippling brush produced acceptable results - it took too long to apply evenly) and every other sponge that I tried was very difficult to maneuver, even using the sponges damp. But, with the beautyblender, the application was so much easier and my foundation did not looked caked on, dry or cracked. My pores disappeared, the look was clean, flawless yet polished. An airbrushed finish by the time I was done. I quickly tried this beautyblender sponge with other liquid foundations that I had lying around such as Ready To Wear Liquid Lift and another Ready to Wear cream foundation and the results were the same. Flawless, airbrushed, clean yet polished. If you're looking for a better foundation application, definitely give this sponge a look. If you've got foundations lying around that you don't use, resurrect them and try them with this sponge. You may just fall in love with those foundations again. Definitely will continue to use and repurchase if sponge wears out eventually.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Definetly worth the splurge and lives up to the hype! I am a big skeptic and always hold out on trying new things till its been out on the market for a while and has had plenty of reviews. I know there are a few alternatives like the Sonia kashuk (which I haven't tried) and the one by Ulta which was 5 bucks. I tried that first and it was a waste of my 5 dollars. It does not compare to the beauty blender at all! I love the way it blends my foundation with ease and it feels pleasant while I stipple/bounce it on my face. It can soak up a bit even when wet, but to avoid wasting it, I dot my foundation all over my face then blend it with the beautyblender. The price may be steep but spend the extra 6 bucks and get the double pack.

on 12/21/2011 10:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I really like the Beauty Blender so far, today is my second day using it and I must say it is way easier and much more flawless of an application. I will update if my thoughts change. I was not happy that the cleanser did not come with the double package so I believe I will have to purchase that, the sponge is stained already. Not a big deal but I would rather it be clean. Overall though I love it!

on 12/22/2011 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This little sponge changed my makeup life! I agree it's a little pricey but it's worth every penny. It makes my foundation application quick and produces the most natural beautiful finish. I know you will see people compare this to other imitations, it does not compare. I have the Sonia Kahuk and this s much better, it's softer and applies like a dream. I use it for revlon Colorstay or Makep Forever HD foundation. Buy this!

Update July 23, 2013: I went away from this sponge and I don't know why, its awesome!

on 1/8/2012 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, I was very excited to try this out. I wanted it for so long because i love wedges to apply makeup but I hate the fact that they have edges. So, I bought 2 of these. When I applied my makeup, it was fast and the wetness made my face look glowly. Awesome. However, I found that by the end of the day my skin looks worse then it did that morning, like irritated red spots. And I hadn't changed anything in my routine, except for adding this sponge. I noticed this happen on the days I used this. I believe the culprit lies on the pink dye on the BB. Everytime I wet it, the water runs pink. I really don't like the fact that pink stuff is getting on my face, and as a person with sensitive skin it obviously is becoming a problem. Loved the application but will not buy again. Back to cosmetic wedges.

This sponge is by far the best sponge I've ever tried and nothing really compares to this. It's softer than other sponges (Sonia Kashuk and Basically U Super Blender Sponge from Ulta) and applies/blends foundation better. They try to imitate the shape but they can't duplicate the results. My only complaints are it stains even after washing it thoroughly (I used the Beauty Blender cleanser, baby shampoo, castille soap and it still stained!) and that it's pretty expensive.. I think I read somewhere that they only recommend using it for 3 months.. But at this price, I'll use it for as long as I could!

on 1/12/2012 2:16:00 PM

As a long time fan of anything about cosmetics,I can easily say that this is one of the biggest sales gimmick I have ever seen.Especially after it came out ,it was on everywhere.I didin't pay much attention first but then some of my fav beauty blogs mentioned it,so I went and paid and got a little pink sponge for a funny(in a tragic way) price.
First of all,I am a light application loving girl.I am pale so I have to be careful with my blushes and stuff.As for the foundation,I love sheer and natural coverage.So here are my thoughts about BB coming:
1)The amount of foundation you have to use with BB is just ridiculous.I use brushes to apply foundation,not fingers.I like sheer and buildable products so spending so much of a product is not a problem for me.But this is extreme.An example : if you need 1-2 pump for fingers,2-3 for any brush,I need min. 4 pumps for the BB.and I dont even layer/build my foundation for more coverage.Buying a new high end foundation when I need one is not a problem for me but the fact that it will be lasting for not more than 2 months maximum is not amusing me.

2)the effect: I don't understand this.It is not creating a magical look or something.it just gives you the effect that any right brush-foundation duo and some avarage blending technique can give.it also lowers down the covering ability.My fav brushes for foundation is mac 187 and 130.I love the new Shiseido brush as well.Hakuhodo,a brand I am new to,seems to have perfect foundation tools .I got G5552 and it is perfection.So what does this sponge has? nothing unique.Besides eating your foundation up and requiring longer time for application.

3)cleaning: painful.I have to use a cleansing oil to take off the foundation totally.I clean my brushes with mac's make up cleanser after each application and shampoo about once a week.even washing a brush takes less time.and with BB you have to do it everyday.It is not sweet,really.if you are concerned a lot about the bacteria and breakouts(i dont experience any),you will not enjoy the cleaning process.

4)price: ok this is the real deal breaker.BB is made of suede.it sounds fancy.like "look,it is not a cheap sponge material,you see?" But the truth is a suede sponge is what you use for your shoes.and they don't/can't cost 20 bucks.But an unstoppabable hype creates the illusion of a 20 dollar sponge is actually worth it.With the price of 2 BBs,you can go and buy a brush that you can use till the end of your life,not only from Mac,but from many other or even better brush producers.

I will stop here.it is only the cons here.One pro is that it actually works good with cream/liquid blushes/highlighters.So I sometimes use it.But buy it again? definetly not worth it.I already have two and this is not something I will go and buy again unless I win the lottery or someting.

on 1/13/2012 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

So I finally gave in to the hype and bought the 2 pack since I figured if I do like it, its cheaper in the long run. Its a great tool for high coverage/long wearing foundations. If you wear a lighter foundation I dont think you need this sponge, I've tried it with both maybelline superstay and fit me foundations. It worked really great with the superstay! Great coverage and did not look cakey at all. When I tried it with the fit me I felt that it soaked up a lot more of the product and gave similar results as a good foundation brush (like the sigmax brushes). So overall if you use heavier foundations I think the beautyblender is the way to go =) Oh fyi, its super annoying that such an expensive sponge bleeds pink dye! Hopefully the new beautyblender pure (white) will come in a 2 pack soon.

on 1/13/2012 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Best sponge EVER. I never liked applying liquid foundation with a brush, I don't know if I was doing it the wrong way or not but it always came out looking 'mask-like' so I've always used sponges to apply foundation... When I found this and used for the first time I was ECSTATIC! Makes my foundation blend so well and sets a great base for the rest of my makeup. And I love that you can dampen the sponge first it makes such a difference....Totally worth the price in my opinion.

on 1/20/2012 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is an expensive product but well worth it IMO. I have the two pack which is much more economical. My makeup looks flawless when I use my BB to apply. I just put a little foundtaion on the back of my hand, soak it up with the dampened BB and stipple on my face. Its quite quick and easy. I wash mine after every use but it is still stained a bit, which I honestly don't mind.

I have tried the Sonia Kashuk and Ulta knock-offs of this and I can tell a huge difference. They do not compare to the BB.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools