beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 7/14/2007 12:29:00 AM

After several years on makeupalley, I think I've become rather cynical about products. If one doesn't strike me as incredible, there is no way I'm going to give it a second shot. When I saw this on amazon.com, offered through bebeautiful.com, I read the reviews and then waited. For a month. I just didn't want to buy another item I wouldn't use. I finally caved when, even using my MAC 187, my foundation looked ridiculous.

From the first use, this makeup applicator made my makeup application look professional. I use it to "stipple" my face, as I have excessive redness in my t-zone. It's rounded edges mean that there is no foundation that will collect in the applicator or my skin. I gently stipple about 5 small dots of foundation into my skin and then wipe it under my eyes for a flawless look.

If you get one of these, I highly recommend the 2 sponge and 1 bottle of cleaner set. It's price efficient and the cleanser cleans the sponge quickly and with minimal effort.

I highly recommend this for anyone that has felt dissatisfied with makeup application or who has just about given up on their foundation. Give it one more try with this beautyblender! It can make the difference between a blah face and a flawless face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sponges have never been able to give me the coverage or the texture I desire. This little pink egg is a gem. After I apply primer I mist my face with aloe vera juice or Skindinaviaís makeup saving moisture spray. Then I dampen the blender with Aloe vera juice (available at your health food store) and dip in my foundation. Next, I use the stippling action to apply my foundation. The round part of the blender is great for your cheeks and jaw, while the pointy part is great for around eyes and nose. I get a really nice application by doing this, but I find I still like to use my fingers on my nose. Itís very easy to build up extra coverage in areas while still keeping a natural look. Also, itís great for blending the line between your jaw and neck without an obvious foundation

on 10/18/2007 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

General description of me: I am NC15, with auburn hair, brown eyes, and freckles. I am a bit gullible, and am easily suckered in by anything in the beauty world that is new, exclusive, and often, expensive. I like shiny things, and like a chicken, I can't resist them. This isn't shiny, but it was expensive, so naturally, I wanted it. Of course, I couldn't find it on a swap list, so I forked over the $$
Description of product: It arrived in a sealed, clear plastic container, like a pink egg from another world, sent here in it's own little time capsule. My little pink egg had some rough traveling. Its package cruelly dug into it, making two odd dents. I found this disturbing and was concerned for the welfare of my expensive pink egg. I decided to take out the little packet of cleanser included with it to give the egg a bath and hope it would be reborn egg shaped instead of squished. After a bath and drying time overnight, the egg was reborn into its original unblemished state, and I was finally able to try it out. I don't like delayed gratification, but the pink egg was worth it. Despite feeling like something of a sucker for paying that much for what is basically a makeup sponge, I quickly got over it and put the little pink egg to work for its money's worth.
Effects of this product: I first used it only for blending foundation. It works quite well for this purpose, better than a typical sponge, and doesn't seem to erase what I have just spent time applying. It just gives it a soft focus. For me, the real test of it came when I found I was suddenly reaching for it all the time for e/s blending. It just seemed to make it look like I had been to a professional makeup artist for application, and I am actually a bit of a makeup klutz in terms of application. I think the first step is to admit you have a problem......
so back to the review. I continue to rely on my little pink friend nearly continuously. I blend with it every day. I eventually tossed it's distant cousins, the round drug store imitators. And I have a secret....... my little pink sponge won't be lonely long. I've ordered it a twin sister.
continued >>

on 1/26/2008 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for beauty gadgets, always looking for that new product that will be the HG. So to treat myself, I bought the two pack together with the cleanser.

I like the beautyblender but I think I'm less impressed with it because I was already really good at applying foundation with my fingers. That said, this has provided the best coverage that I have ever gotten from a tool, hands down. Foundation brushes are terrible and latex sponges don't do much better. So it's either this or my fingers. The benefit to this is that it may be faster and less messy than using my hands. I'm still working on the technique - it's not difficult but the more you play with it, the better you become at achieving "special effects". I have yet to master the "stipple and swirl" to cover up those pesky blemishes.

Over all a good product. I can see where it would become a consistent part of someone's kit and can certainly help those people who've not had "professional" make-up application down to an art (the symptom of all beauty junkies!) - it makes foundation a no brainer.

EDIT: I have found that, when washing the blender, it works better to get it soapy before getting it wet. I wash it with the blender cleanser. I wait until it's "dry" (natural state) and then put cleanser all over the spots where there is makeup. I then work it in and after get the blender wet - it seems to work better as nearly all the makeup is washed out, what usually isn't the case if i wash it in a dampened state.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Well I've used this magical sponge for a week and I'm sold. They feel great in my hand(very testicular IYKWIM) and smoothes my foundation like No Other sponge or applicator I've ever tried. I am taking off a lipstick because they are ungodly expensive, hard to find and left some pink debris on my face a couple of times. But they clean up great, are wonderful dry or wet, and the shape cannot be beat for hard to reach areas. I found mine on drugstore.com after driving all over EBFE so if you live in a "small" big city like me, save yourself the hassle and just order from there.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I agree with PandaKoeken's review (below) 100% (well put, btw) and would add two comments on this product: 1. It's not the kind of sponge we're used to...not sure what it is, but it's better (more "cushy, dense...I dunno) and 2. It really bothers me that I can't get it clean. I've used everything but it remains stained. If anyone can hook me up with a solution to this please email me. TIA.
Overall, worth having, great for travel, if used as directed (moisten & bounce onto skin) it does indeed provide flawless application.

on 4/3/2009 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was lucky enough to buy this at wholesale (half) cost. Probably the best makeup sponge I've used and I like it, but I like my 187 better.

Liquid foundation -- I definitely use more product when using the BB -- 2-3 full pumps vs. the 1-2 pumps with the 187.

Finish -- very nice -- a little fuller coverage than the 187. But most days I only want sheer-med coverage.

It's cool that I can just turn the sponge over to a clean side and use it to apply cream blush.

I haven't used the sponge with any powder products yet.

I've been using liquid castile soap to clean and it's fine. I'm sure that if you wear a heavy, long lasting foundation that you may need a stronger cleaning product.

on 5/30/2009 4:09:00 PM

I heard about this product through a makeup artisits web-stie. I NEVER used sponges. I hated the smell, and the way I never got coverage with them. I always applied my foundation with my hands. I heard the warmth breaks down your foundation and makes it skin like. Even with my hands and warming rountine, my foundation always looked caked and uneven. I NEVER thought I would get that makeup artisit foundation look, EVER!!! Until this product. I bought it on sephora.com. The price is very high but believe me its worth the price!!! It beat all of my expectations. I used it for the first time and knew I just had to write a review. I use it as directed. I wet the spong, squeeze out on a towel. Then I put my foundation on my hand (key - the warming effect), then apply. Let me tell you my face looks AMAZING. Fully blended, flawless, but yet natural. Im a beauty addict and love this...try it, you will NOT be disappointed! ;-)

on 7/8/2009 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love my Beautyblender! I always used ordinary makeup sponges to apply my foundation but the Beautyblender makes applying easy, streak-free and creates a beautiful natural finish. I dampen my BB with some LRP Thermal Water and tap and blend. I also use it to apply cream blushes; previously I hated cream blushes because I never could make them look natural but this little pink eggie does the job very well!
To clean I use the BB Cleanser which is the best cleanser for sponges IMO; it removes any stains quickly and thoroughly.
I bought the kit with two sponges and the cleanser for 35 Euro. Quite expensive but worth it! Highly recommended! Update: while I still think this is a great sponge I found my regular makeup sponges to do the job as well and they're much cheaper. So I won't repurchase but it's still worth trying!

on 7/11/2009 12:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I thought this would be a really gimmicky product and was reluctant to buy it. Before purchasing this sponge, I either used my fingers or my Prescriptives foundation brush to apply makeup. I gave in and ordered the BB hoping for a tool that would give me even, light coverage and it really does deliver. I've had mine for a couple of months now and while the pink dye that comes off on my towels during the first washings is annoying, I'm still very pleased. I used the sample of the cleanser that came with the sponge, and honestly can't tell a difference between using that and anti-bacterial hand soap. I wash mine before and after each use and it has not started to disintegrate or anything. Since it is expensive, I will repurchase this only if I get at least a full year of use out of it (I deducted one lippie because of the price). If not, I'll try harder to find the Sonia Kashuk version when my BB needs replacing. Overall, does a really good job of blending my Revlon CS foundation so I recommend giving this product a try.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools