beautyblender the sponge

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Amazing product.
It just makes my foundation application so smooth, easy and airbrushed.
Sorry, brushes, but this is my new number one <3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Wow. Makeup noobs like me: this is perfection. My makeup blends perfectly with this little sponge. When I was on Accutane this was so so useful as you add water and make up blends seamlessly into skin. Even with less dry skin, perfect. The things that are annoying about this product are cleaning (I use the special cleaner, the whole process feels expensive) and I had to replace mine after about 6 months because it does wear out. It's also pretty pricey on the face of it but I think it's worth every penny!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This sponge applies makeup worse than a dampened wedge and the price is ridiculous. What a waste of $30 Canadian dollars.

on 5/7/2013 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this sponge so so so much.

Please trust me when I say the sonia kashuk and other generic brands with their knock off versions of this do not compare at all.

I use this with my foundation by wetting it, squeezing it and then squeezing it again with my towel so it is does not have a lot of water on it.

I noticed that when my sponge is more damp my concealer gets rubbed off when I try to blend it.

washing it is pretty easy too although some of the pink from the sponge comes off in the process thats not a big deal to me.

Overall I don't like that this is 20 bucks but I will forever be purchasing this miracle sponge.

on 5/14/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have the pure beauty blender and I love it. Although, I would not recommend this sponge since the dye bleeds and can cause acne. I will not purchase.

on 5/22/2013 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Oh my GOSH! Now I understand what the hype is all about over a sponge that costs USD $20.00. I was very hesitant to buy this, thinking a sponge would give me sheer application, as like all sponges I have used did. Let me tell you, it doesn't matter what kind of foundation I use, this BB makes my face looks so airbrushed and flawless. It makes your makeup apply like butter, blending everything out without harsh lines. It's even better for your skin because instead of RUBBING products in, your tapping it on the skin, causing less irritation. I am very acne prone and have lots of acne scar. This tool really helps my foundation glide on evenly and gives me full coverage. I love the pointed ends too, it really helps with blending under eye concealer and blending in general. Great great product. Worth the hype. For 20$ this has replaced all my foundation, concealer, and blending brushes. For people complaining it's not working, maybe because you aren't squeezing the excessive water enough. I am in love with this product. I love it so much and I will continue to use it.

on 5/29/2013 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I tried various other brands of sponges and they all did a decent job, so I gave into the hype and bought the 2 pack and I love it! I really do, and for the only simple reason that I have tried for years to find something that will set my under eye concealer from creasing with no luck until now. I apply my concealer and do not even have to set it with and powder and it will not crease. I like the finish it gives my foundation. I have a big problem with hyperpigmentation and ache scars and this helps to apply concealer and foundation flawlessly.

on 6/4/2013 10:15:00 AM

Best makeup purchase I have made in a long time! EVERY foundation I have tried this with, it has made it look more flawless and I've had to use less product. Plus it speeds up the time I have to take on foundation and concealer! Absolutely 100% worth the $25 that I spent on my two-pack. Only (very, very small and insignificant) problem I have found is that some foundations tend to stain the beauty blender (i.e. Revlon colorstay) but I can absolutely live with this!
One recommendation: I found that the best way to clean this is just with a regular face cleanser with a more liquid, soapy, gel-like consistency (not sure what this is called--not a cream or foam), something like the Cetaphil facial cleanser. I find that this type of cleanser gets the product out fast and doesn't get stuck in the sponge.
Everyone needs this in their makeup collection! Worth the hype!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The day I first used this sponge was the day I stopped using foundation brushes. Where has this thing been my whole life?! This sponge is like magic I tell you! It actually makes any foundation I use look better then it does with a brush. This actually presses the foundation into the skin, making your foundation look just like your skin...only better. I even notice my foundation sets faster and nicer when I use the beauty blender.

Foundations I have used and don't care for even look better when I use this!

The only downfall is the sponge was really hard to clean until I finally went out and bought the beauty blender cleanser (solid). If your going to invest in buying this sponge, I suggest getting the proper cleaner or else you will never get the sponge fully cleaned (and it will stain!)

on 6/9/2013 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Okay, I'm a believer. I'm ashamed of myself now, because this whole I've been blaming the foundation for looking bad. But it was the application tool I was using that was screwing me over. I avoided buying this for years because I just couldn't get myself to believe that a puny little sponge could make a difference. And the price tag couldn't justify it.

Well hold your horses, skeptics. This ain't no regular sponge, like the kinds you get in the 6-packs at Walmart. I've been using flat top brushes for all these years, but upon comparing these side to side, I see what the justified hype is all about regarding beautyblender. If you are not observant or don't care about every little anal detail and diffusion of your foundation like I do, this won't impress you. But if you are like me, and you have this sick obsession with your foundation looking near perfect, it's worth a shot with beauty blender. I didn't even realize how bad and uneven my foundation was going on until I used beautyblender. It blurs the pores better than any brush I've used, and is the closest thing to airbrush that you can get without an actual airbrush.

WHen you are selecting tools for foundation application, always think back to your kindergarten art classes and painting time. Or if you're a gangbanger who does graffiti, think about how paint goes on. Airbrush is obviously the most diffused. But between a sponge and a brush, the sponge gives more of the diffused, lightweight speckle effect and the brush "sinks" in (to pores and crevaces) and masks what it's on. Once you get into what types of sponges, the only way I can explain beautyblender's superiority is that I think it's woven more tightly or something. I suggest wetting this before use.

Cons: You don't get as much coverage with it upon first layer, and it takes longer to do your makeup. It's kinda awkward to maneuver. It's also unhygienic and hard to care for. It's delicate, so you must be careful not to tear it. But the end result is worth it.

Skeptics, this is one of those things you should just go ahead and order from Sephora. You can return if you don't like it, or put it up for swap on MUA. I'm sure lots of people will want to snag it from you.

EDIT: Lowered by one star because the maintenance of this is rather tedious. Cleaning it is a pain and it does stain no matter how much you try. I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I soak it in isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise, you have a sponge full of bacteria. Wish there was a better way.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools