beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 5/15/2012 8:21:00 PM

I have to admit that I am a creature of habit. I am running out of the cleanser, so for a while, I have actually been contemplating purchasing more. But then I thought, why, do I even like the beautyblender? And I came to the shocking realization that I donít. Hereís why:
1.I donít like to have to wet them. You really have to do this at the bathroom sink to evenly distribute the water, and I donít do my makeup in the bathroom;
2.I find that they soak up too much product;
3.I find it disconcerting that after several years of use, washing every 2-3 days, the water still turns pink when I wash them. I also somehow tore one of them. Not sure how since I donít have long nails;
4.I find it obnoxious that the cleanser is the only thing that cleans them. And it doesnít even work that wellóyou have to find the spots of foundation on them and then blob the cleanser on the spot and rub it--- too time-consuming and the cleanser is expensive;
5.Most importantly, I donít like how my makeup looks when I use them. It looks too watered down and unpolished, almost like I didnít bother putting on my makeup. This happens regardless of whether I squeeze the water out really well.
So when my cleanser runs out, I will be retiring my beautyblender.

on 5/20/2012 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Seriously, I have combination, flaky, sensitive, dry, patchy, oily T-zone, old-acne scarred skin. Lovely, no? It's a HG product for me. I use it apply my foundation (of course), blush, bronzer, concealer AND powder. Seamless. Great coverage.

Works great for liquid, cream, gel foundations. However, in order not to waste it, apply it directly on your face then bounce around the BB.
I clean mine by soaking it in Cetaphil for a few minutes or baby shampoo if it needs deeper cleansing.

The great thing with the BB is, after you're done with your face, remember to get your eyelids, ears and jawline and neck.

Secret: Use a damp (almost dry) BB to apply your MSF Natural. It sets your makeup for hours. I live in Singapore and I have sweaty face and an oily T-Zone and my make up still holds up after hours of dancing.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I can see why some people are underwhelmed by this. It is expensive for a sponge. However, in my book it does do what it claims to do. I've found that it makes application of makeup easier, faster, and better looking with less work. I have used this sponge with a few different foundations and it gave great results with every one except NARS Sheer Matte (which is a junk foundation, no fault to the sponge.) I got a 2-pack with no cleanser for about $25 from Sephora, so I think I got a pretty good deal. If I had spent $20 on just one sponge I might be singing a different song, but overall I do like the product. I like that it makes layering products much easier, and faster. My only real problem is that I've almost thrown it away like five times. Otherwise, solid product if you use liquid or cream foundations and want to customize your coverage.

on 7/19/2012 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this little sponge, its really worth the hype. My foundation is perfectly blended and never streaky. I love how it grows when you wet it. Just remember its really delicate so never scrub it hard to wash it. I have found that its easier to clean when its slightly damp to dry, rather than when its wet. I like this far more than a brush.

Also, to people that are freaked out by pink dye: they make a white one with no dye at all called Beautyblender Pure (my personal favorite).

And to those who get bugged by the staining, they make a black one called Beautyblender Pro.

on 7/22/2012 10:37:00 AM

I purchased a 2-pack from Sephora, so that my friend and I could find out what the fuss was about. I have been very satisfied with my foundation routine, using various liquid foundations and applying it with a Real Techniques buffing brush (from the Core Collection). However, after hearing so much hype about the beautyblender, I decided to try it.

After reading some reviews here on MUA, I was worried about the sponge absorbing too much of my expensive foundation. I have a bottle of Revlon Colorstay that I got last year and no longer use, because it oxidizes on my skin. I decided to try using that, so I wouldn't waste my good makeup.

I dampened the beautyblender by squeezing it under cold running water. I squeezed out the excess and then dried it further in a towel. I placed two pumps of Colorstay on the back of my hand, tapped the big end of the sponge into it and started applying it to my skin in a rapid stippling motion. The foundation, which is slightly too dark for my skintone, disappeared, leaving my skin looking clean and even. I admit that I was very surprised by the effect.

I had planned on only testing it on my t-zone, where I have some redness, but I didn't want to stop using the sponge. I pumped out two more squirts of foundation and covered my whole face, using the smaller end under my eyes and next to my nose. To really get into the folds next to my nose, I had to push my nose to the side with my finger, which I don't have to do when I use a brush.

I was skeptical, I don't enjoy using sponges for applying cosmetics, but the effect was undeniable. The beautyblender had created an airbrushed effect on my face, effortlessly. It was even better than my beloved buffing brush, which I have described as "life-changing" in the past. So there you go, the hype is not unfounded, the beautyblender does what it says it does.

It is not perfect, though. Cleaning it proved a difficult task. I spent a long time and used several products to try and remove the foundation stains, to no avail. I don't particularly want to spend more time cleaning my tools than I spent using them, so I gave up and will just live with a stained sponge. I massage some baby shampoo into it, then rinse it until the water runs clear and that's enough for me. The pink dye did come out during washing, but I saw no trace of it on my face, so I am not concerned.

More points off for how expensive it is and for the plastic "pedestal" container, which I think can easily damage the sponge. I store mine loosely on top, so I don't have to push it through each time I remove it. I'm also worried about longevity, I inspected the sponge closely after washing it and I can see how little tears could start forming in the material. I know the company states that the sponge should last about 3 months, so I will see how accurate that is.

Although I think that the beautyblender gives a better finish than any other method I've used, it does use a bit more foundation than my brushes would. It also took me longer to apply a full face than usual, but that might be due to my inexperience with using a sponge.

I will not be using the beautyblender for all my foundation applications, simply to save product and extend the life of the sponge, but I will introduce it into my routine when I want the most flawless appearance. It somehow manages to apply a sheer, invisible layer of foundation that simultaneously provides ample coverage. It is very impressive and despite the price, I will repurchase this when mine becomes too tattered to use.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love this make up sponge. I've been using them for over a year and it's my go to tool for foundation and concealer around my eye area. I understand this doesn't work for some people and I understand why they have their complaints. But for me- a dedicated make up sponge user- it's a winner. The texture of this sponge is in fact different than the various generic make up sponges you can pick up at your pharmacy or Target etc. Yes, it does require a lot of upkeep in terms of washing it every time you use it and I guess I don't mind that because I've just become accustomed to doing so. Also- I've always hated using brushes for foundation application. No matter how expensive the brush, the style of shape and cut of the brush- I have always found buffing a brush or just *brushing* foundation to be uncomfortable feeling and I always had a hard time blending evenly. Basically, for me, using a brush was more work than using a sponge and these are the best sponges I've ever used and I buy them regularly. I love the cleaner for this but I think you need a LOT to clean them properly so I find myself using a mild facial cleanser when I run out to clean the sponges. Also I've found the best technique is to run warm water over the sponge before use and then yes wring it dry in a clean towel. It doesn't absorb a ton of product for me if i use it near dry/damp.
I'm purchasing a few newer kabuki style high end make up brushes to see if I can find a brush that will be comfortable for foundation application- and we'll see if I end up liking a brush over this sponge! But for now, this is my absolute go to applicator almost daily.

on 8/4/2012 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I'm a noob at make-up and this product really works wonders!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this as I had originally bought a 'dupe' for this and wasn't impressed (a Cosmopolitan version). But I was curious to see if this was any better and although this was 3 times the price of the 'dupe' it is sooooo much better! I find it better with thicker foundations as it sheers them out to give me the coverage I prefer. Thinner foundation tends to be too sheer, so I will stick to my brushes for that. But I am so impressed that this little pink egg shaped pillow can do such a sterling job! I dot foundation on my face, then use this dampened to bounce the foundation around. If you do a search on YouTube, there are some excellent tutorials on how to use this successfully. I find it uses less foundation than a brush giving me much better results. It is also better being cleaned with the cleanser which goes with it, as I tried to use baby shampoo and Mac brush cleanser but they didn't do any where near as good a job as the bb cleanser. Oh, and have not noticed pink dye coming out of mine :o)

Edit: 31st Dec 2013. I have just bought my second beautyblender after using my original one roughly every other day (or so) for around 14/16 months of use!!!! And once again, my new sponge still doesn't bleed colour when washing (not that I can see anyway). So, I think that although the price seems steep at first, when you find out how long they last, they really are worth the money after all!

Edit two: Once again, one year after buying my second beautyblender I need to repurchase.When I received my new one i was very disappointed. It seemed to less bouncy, less dense (more holey?) and to my dismay it split and piled on my first go. So I sent it back and got another one. Oh dear, the replacement sponge feels the same and although I didn't get splitting or piling on this one (but its still very new) it still doesn't feel the same as my first two. I hope this is a manufacturing blip otherwise this will be my last beautyblender. Shame :(

on 8/13/2012 8:22:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i bought this for $8 and i like it.
it blends my highlights and concealer perfectly :D

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the beautyblender! I purchased mine from makeup geek.com for $19 I believe. Before discovering it, I tried using my fingers to apply foundation and different types of foundation brushes. I don't like brushes, I think they use a ton of product and make my face look streaky afterwards (and yes I paid top dollar for the stupid MAC brushes and got a tutorial at the MAC counter so I do know what I'm doing-don't start with me). The beautyblender doesn't leave any streaks at all which is why I like it and it uses far less make up than brushes or my fingers.

Just a tip, go to make up geek and watch the tutorial on how to use this tool. It will work better if you use it properly. You are supposed to use it damp (not soaking wet, and not dry as a bone) and you aren't supposed to "apply" your make up with it. You dot your foundation around your face with your finger and then you use the blender to BLEND it. You don't put the make up on the blender, it's a sponge of course it is going to absorb make up if you try to use it to apply the make up. If you use it to blend it out it does an excellent job.

As far as it bleeding, I haven't experienced that when I washed it. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm wondering if they came from different lots in the manufacturer or something?? Not sure.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools