beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 6/9/2013 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Okay, I'm a believer. I'm ashamed of myself now, because this whole I've been blaming the foundation for looking bad. But it was the application tool I was using that was screwing me over. I avoided buying this for years because I just couldn't get myself to believe that a puny little sponge could make a difference. And the price tag couldn't justify it.

Well hold your horses, skeptics. This ain't no regular sponge, like the kinds you get in the 6-packs at Walmart. I've been using flat top brushes for all these years, but upon comparing these side to side, I see what the justified hype is all about regarding beautyblender. If you are not observant or don't care about every little anal detail and diffusion of your foundation like I do, this won't impress you. But if you are like me, and you have this sick obsession with your foundation looking near perfect, it's worth a shot with beauty blender. I didn't even realize how bad and uneven my foundation was going on until I used beautyblender. It blurs the pores better than any brush I've used, and is the closest thing to airbrush that you can get without an actual airbrush.

WHen you are selecting tools for foundation application, always think back to your kindergarten art classes and painting time. Or if you're a gangbanger who does graffiti, think about how paint goes on. Airbrush is obviously the most diffused. But between a sponge and a brush, the sponge gives more of the diffused, lightweight speckle effect and the brush "sinks" in (to pores and crevaces) and masks what it's on. Once you get into what types of sponges, the only way I can explain beautyblender's superiority is that I think it's woven more tightly or something. I suggest wetting this before use.

Cons: You don't get as much coverage with it upon first layer, and it takes longer to do your makeup. It's kinda awkward to maneuver. It's also unhygienic and hard to care for. It's delicate, so you must be careful not to tear it. But the end result is worth it.

Skeptics, this is one of those things you should just go ahead and order from Sephora. You can return if you don't like it, or put it up for swap on MUA. I'm sure lots of people will want to snag it from you.

EDIT: Lowered by one star because the maintenance of this is rather tedious. Cleaning it is a pain and it does stain no matter how much you try. I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I soak it in isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise, you have a sponge full of bacteria. Wish there was a better way.

on 8/26/2013 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've heard so many people talking about the beautyblender sponges and how much they love them so I wanted to make sure I tried one to see if I liked it better than my egg shaped Laura Mercier foundation sponges that I love so much.
Well, I got myself one and have given it many tries, and I don't feel like the application is as smooth as I wanted it to be, and I notice that it absorbs way more product than my other sponges. However, the friends and other people I have heard saying they love the beautyblender have much better skin than I do. They don't have oily skin and don't have any blemishes or spots they want to cover up. I purchase a buildable med/full coverage foundation and I usually want full, smooth coverage. So maybe this style of sponge is just better for people who are going for a lighter application of their foundation. I wouldn't repurchase, I will stick with my egg shaped flat LM sponges!

on 10/2/2013 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I had those cheap BBs but boy-oh-boy this one is the King of BBs! The big, damp sponge makes the foundation look seamless and the skin baby soft. I have never been so satisfied with a buffing brush as I am with the BB.
The huge downside is that the sponge is EXPENSIVE! I hope I'll manage with one for a year, because it's not a good investment: if you replace it 2 a year, you end up spending more than for a HQ brush.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I had the BB for about 6 months now and I love it. I need full coverage face because of tons of blackheads on my face. I use Revlon Colorstay (2 quarter size dots) over my face and the BB blends it out perfectly. Only problem I do have with it is that I have medium size nails and now there are nail tears on it. But it still works just the same. But I tried the so called "dupes" and they are not to compare.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

If I could give this thing 10 lippies, I would! Ok, so I had been reading about this "miracle sponge" thing for awhile and I get pretty skeptical about products I read about on blogger websites for the fact so many of them receive their products for free or even paid in return for good reviews. But after buying pretty much every kind of foundation brush on the market and not having my ideal end result, I finally broke down and decided to splurge on this to see what the hype was all about. I was able to get 2 Beauty Blenders for $25 on the makeupgeek website, which I figured was a pretty good deal. I watched a few YouTube videos on application to make sure I used it correctly (I'm a bit clueless when it comes to reading directions, thanks Mom!). Needless to say, THEY WERE RIGHT! Why oh why did I wait so long to purchase this wonderful pink miracle?! I now have at least $100 worth of foundation brushes I will most likely never use again thanks to this product. If you use it slightly damp and press in your foundation (don't swipe, it makes it look weird) I promise you it will look like you're not even wearing foundation yet your face will look flawless! I can finally start using drug store makeup again and get the same results just from using this!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Like most people I was skeptical of the beauty blender. I figured brushes would be the best, but I was so wrong. I took the plunge and bought a Beauty Blender and it literally changed my life. My makeup looks absolutely beautiful and flawless when I apply my foundation and concealer with the BB. You will not regret it! Go and get it! It's amazing.

on 3/21/2014 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Never touched a foundation brush after purchasing this amazing sponge. I find that when using foundation brushes, lines of the brush are still visible and you can just tell that a brush was used to apply your foundation. Using a beauty blender not only gets rid of this, it blends extremely easily, is moist (you wet it before application), and it gives a completely natural finish.
This sponge is definitely worth the hype and I don't think I will ever buy a foundation brush again. The original beauty blender all the way!

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Fabulous!! Makeup looks brilliant :)

on 3/17/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE THIS SOOO MUCH!! I wish i purchase this waaay sooner. I used to think this was really overpriced and I don't need special sponge to apply my makeup anyway, until i bit the bullet and bought this. I used cheapo blending sponge before, i find myself dislike using sponge because of its finish and application, i prefer using brush.. So I was afraid i would hate myself for splurging $20 for a sponge i probably didn't like.
But nah, i'm in love. So freaking soft, cheap blending sponge can't compare. What i love the most is it makes my foundation / bb cream applied sooo smooth, flawless.. It takes away the cakey-ness and streaky-ness and powdery feeling like when i use brush or finger. I've been longing this finish for ever, it just feels like my skin!! I love makeup, but I hate the powdery feeling, the 'you-are-obviously-wearing-makeup!!!' looks because i'm into natural makeup.
Compared to the cheapo one, cheapo one leaves sticky feeling and makes the coverage sheerer but still manage to crack my foundation. With beauty blender i still can build the coverage without make it cakey. I was scared it will absorb a lot of foundation, turns out it absorbs WAY LESS than what i anticipated. I'm scared for nothing LOL. I use same amount of foundation like when i'm using brush.
I'm glad BB works for me. It's worth every penny.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Finally bought one and am not blown away.
It is ok but not amazing.
I have tried it with at least 5 foundations to see how well this really works and to me, it was just eh, whatever.
I really wish I had not spent my money on this because now that I am done trying it out I NEVER use it. I prefer my flat top brush or fingers over this.
I also did not notice that I used any less foundation than normal.
Actually, to me, I felt like I used slightly more.
The only thing I liked was the slightly cooling of the beauty blender due to the fact that it was wet. Other than that I do not care for this at all.
I did give this to my sister and she loved it!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools