beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is the best sponge I have ever used. I bought it online at $17 for two over here in Australia. Which us awesome because they're normally $20 for just one! I love how it expands when wet and it feels soo nice and soft. Make up goes on like a dream. I definitely won't be wasting my money on buying more regular sponges or foundation brushes when this fabulous little pink sponge does a much better job for a range of makeup products! I will definitely be repurchasing once both of them have worn out.

on 1/13/2012 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

So I finally gave in to the hype and bought the 2 pack since I figured if I do like it, its cheaper in the long run. Its a great tool for high coverage/long wearing foundations. If you wear a lighter foundation I dont think you need this sponge, I've tried it with both maybelline superstay and fit me foundations. It worked really great with the superstay! Great coverage and did not look cakey at all. When I tried it with the fit me I felt that it soaked up a lot more of the product and gave similar results as a good foundation brush (like the sigmax brushes). So overall if you use heavier foundations I think the beautyblender is the way to go =) Oh fyi, its super annoying that such an expensive sponge bleeds pink dye! Hopefully the new beautyblender pure (white) will come in a 2 pack soon.

on 2/26/2012 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Total piece of crap. Got rid of it after a few days of use. And I actually read the instructions and watched youtube videos of people applying foundation with the BB before trying myself. Pink dye made me break out first day of use, and I hadn't changed anything else in my foundation routine. As soon as I stopped using the BB, breakout cleared up! Foundation looks amazing right after applying with the BB, but at the end of the day, OH MY GOD. I was so embarrassed---most of my foundation was just gone and was blotchy, like I'm too cheap to own a proper foundation brush. Horrible product and way too expensive for something that needs to be replaced over and over again. And people with sensitive skin, please proceed with caution. Returned back to Sephora and purchased a Sephora #56 Airbrush for $34.

on 3/12/2012 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

well, i will start out by saying that yes, this is a very nice sponge and it really does give a super lovely application and finish. there's a white undyed version too if you have sensitive skin. BUT i have major gripes.

first of all, in my experience, it doesn't use less product than other sponges. i use about 1.5 to 2 pumps to do my whole face with brushes. with this sponge it is like... 4 to 5. currently, i'm using pretty expensive foundation and i really don't like the idea of replacing them in double time. even though i don't wear it every day, it's still annoying.

second is cleaning. i feel like i can never get this clean. not just that the foundation stains it, but that i can SEE foundation in the sponge and i just cannot get it out. i always clean with cold water and baby shampoo, and i will soak things for a couple hours if they are really stubbornly caked (looking at you, kabuki brush..) however, i let this soak for a FULL NIGHT which has never NOT worked before. even the most grease paint, lacquered up brush usually at least gives way to the soak. this didn't seem to do much to the sponge.. maybe cos it's a sponge, i don't know.

anyways i will surely use mine occasionally for cream blushes, highlighters, and maybe foundation occasionally.. but i wouldn't recommend this to a friend. maybe having the blendercleanser makes a difference, but i heard it shouldn't. i don't really care to buy it and see. i would also recommend just getting a nice brush or two and learning to use them. i don't pay more than 30 dollars for my brushes and with careful selection, they all work pretty well, so i don't really like the idea of someone shelling out almost the same price for a replaceable sponge.

on 3/19/2012 12:11:00 PM

I recently ordered this. I ordered the pack of 2 sponges & the cleanser & have used it for the past 3 days. I noticed since I started using it I haven't wanted to reach for a brush to apply my foundation. I like the way it applies.It's really bouncy & you can really build the coverage lovely. It covers all my acne scarring better than when I apply with a brush. There are some things I don't like about it though. I don't like that I have to clean it after each use(I clean my brushes every 2to3 sometimes even 4 uses). It takes A LOT of the cleanser to fully clean the makeup off the sponge & the cleanser is kind of pricey. It's my first sponge so I'm not sure if its really worth the money. One sponge is $20 which is why I bought the pack of 2 because it came with cleanser, I thought that was a better deal. I plan on trying cheaper sponges & updating this review because $20 is pricey for a sponge.

on 3/19/2012 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is NOT for the actual "Beauty Blender" but rather the exact replica (but in a different colour) sold at London Drugs (in Canada). That sponge is sold for about $6.00 and obviously the beauty blender is far more expensive. In Canadian Sephora's the Beauty Blender is not sold, so one has to order online. Anyways I wear liquid foundation and have tried the following ways to apply my foundation: fingers, damp sponge, dry sponge, flat foundation brush, curved foundation brush, and lastly a stippling brush. My favourite by far is Mac's stippling brush, but my second would be this sponge. But will I buy it again? Probably not, here are the reasons why.
It is a sponge, no matter what you clean it with, how you clean, or how long you clean it before, it will not be bacteria free. The very first time that I tried to clean it, the residue from my foundation would not come out, and obviously it looked discolored. If you're re-using a sponge, and getting blemishes this is probably the reason why. I don't know what cleaner comes with it, but it has to be pretty strong for people not be breaking out, right? Another thing, some of the cleaners that brushes/sponges come with are very, very harsh on the skin...just a note that people should be aware off...that's why I wash my brushes with Cetaphil and Tea Tree Oil.
The only point that this sponge would have over any brush is the design of it, and because of that it is very easy to get into crevices of the face, like by the eyes, beside the nose, on the nose...stippling on the nose is a bit odd haha!

Also like with other sponges if you dampen this, it would work much better. I have seen people use this different ways...like going back and forth with it and rolling it on each side, or dabbing it onto the skin. The latter would pose more of a risk of wasting too much foundation.

So I feel that if these came in packs, and were cheap enough like regular cosmetic sponges, I might give them another try, but until then I am going to stick with my stippling brush. Also if you have redness and blemishes to cover up, a dabbing motion rather than a downward motion would work the best. That's why these sponges and the stippling brush work so well for people who have acne. If you want to try this, and live in Canada, go to London Drugs and pick up the sponge before making the splurge on the real deal..the brand is called "London Look" I believe, and I found it where they keep the nail grooming tools. The reason I am giving it a 3 is that it is a fabulous tool to apply liquid make-up, but not sustainable for many people (myself included).

on 8/15/2012 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this sponge! It makes foundation, concealer and setting powder application easy without caking. Its pricey though for a sponge. I have tried other dupes but nothing compares to this. Easier to clean than my makeup brushes because it doesn't absorb so much product and I use Baby shampoo to clean it. I will be buying this over and over again.

on 10/29/2012 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i finally caved in and bought this. i really wasnt happy about the price, but id heard a lot of good things about this and figured i'd treat myself for my birthday. goodle turned up bbautyshop.com (NA) selling these at 16.49 (+ about $4 for shipping) for a pack of 2. heres the link:

i'd never ordered from them before, but had no problems. shipping was decently quick, and everything arrived just as i expected.

ok, so i normally use just my fingers to apply my foundation over top of ss and primer. with the beautyblender i dot some foundation around my cheek, and then use the dampened sponge to bounce it all around that cheek. and i gotta say i'm impressed! the sponge makes blending out foundation super easy and quick. the BEST part though, is this: apparently when i was using just my fingers to apply foundation if there was any un-evenness in my skin-- acne, indented scars, etc-- the foundation would get swiped off of the high points and left in the deeper parts. so what i ended up with was too much foundation applied, and none of it even covered any pimples i happened to have, so then i had to dab concealer on those parts. and i thought i was doing everything right but just couldnt understand why my skin didnt look as perfect as it shodul after the MU. THIS made the difference! instead of just swishing the pigment from the foundation around on my face, the beautyblender evenly dabbed it all around. so i ended up with a much lighter coverage of foundation all over my face, but all the raised points/acne was covered! after a bit of concealer (i'm loving KASSE!) my skin truly does look perfect! i couldnt be happier! to apply concealer i use my fingertip to dab a TINY bit on the area i want concealed, and then use the pointy end of the BB to gently blend it out. the end result looks more like skin than when i apply my foundation just with fingertips.

all said and done, i dont regret purchasing the BB. its still a shame they're so expensive, but i'm hoping they'll last me quite a long time to make up for it. when they eventually get worn out, i MIGHT re-purchase, if i can find them on sale. if i cant, i'm likely going to try out some of the knock-offs :)

on 11/6/2012 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the best foundation applicator I've ever used. You cannot compare brushes or other sponges to this. The shape is amazing, it bounces the foundation on your skin so nicely, and it has no edges so no streaks. Absolutely love it. HG product for sure!
It is expensive, which sucks, but it is totally worth it. I didn't buy the cleaner for it, I use unscented baby shampoo to clean all my brushes. But, MAKE SURE you CLEAN it frequently, especially if you have acne!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the people who report being disappointed with the beauty blender. I had been wanting to try it for a long time, but avoided it because of the price. I finally (regretably) went for it thanks to a pushy sales girl and am pretty unimpressed.

I got the Beauty Blender pure and have been washing it after each use with Dr. Bronners soaps, but it is impossible to get completely clean. I also feel that using the Beauty Blender is a huge waste of water. You are supposed to soak it and squeeze out water before applying foundation and then it requires several "sponge-fulls" to clean it (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have had it for less than 2 weeks and only used it sporadically, but it is already starting to fray. I have not been particualrly aggressive with it. I don't understand how everyone can claim these things are easy to clean and last several months. I take care of my things, but this one already looks like it could be replaced.

I will say that with the beauty blender I can apply foundation much more quickly than with a brush. So, if you don't immediately wash it it could be a time saver. (Although, it's probably not faster than using your hands). I like the idea of the shape of the blender, but for me the pointed top part is still a little too large to be able to reach the smaller areas of my face easily. I will say I got a compliment on my make up the very first time I used it (but I'm never really sure getting a compliment on your foundation IS a compliment because wouldn't the best compliment just be being told you look great rather than your make up looking great but I digress...).

I do feel like doing the put foundation on the back of your hand and dab method wastes foundation. A lot of the foundation ends up getting soaked into the sponge.

All in all, I guess I'm glad I tried it since I would always wonder but for $20 it is absolutely not worth it. In all honesty, I wish I could return it.

Summary List:

Pros
-Can apply foundation quickly
-The rounded shape makes blending easy and the pointed shape may be easier to use for other people
-Does provide even coverage

Cons
-Price
-Wasteful (of water, of foundation, of plastic, of time, of money...)
-Difficult to clean
-Starting to fray after 2 weeks

Popular Misc Beauty Tools