beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

on 11/8/2010 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was soooo excited to purchase this beautyblender. I found that it was extremely useless. I honestly did nothing. I had better ease apply my liquid foundation with my fingers!! I am very saddened with this product. Wanted to love it, but fell short... by a long run.

on 1/7/2011 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I.Love.This. I like this better than a foundation brush and slightly better than stippling brush. My foundation blends so well with this sponge whereas if i use a brush I may have streaks and sometimes when i stipple with a brush I feel like my make up is heavy and I'm using lots of product. However with this sponge I can hardly feel my make up on yet I get a pretty medium to heavy coverage. I use this with my colorstay foundation which i liked but when i used it with my beautyblender i loved my colorstay even more! I think that wetting the sponge helped me used less product and gave me the light feeling on my skin. I've already bought my 2nd one that comes with the cleanser (i had a sample of the cleanser with the first sponge and it was the only thing that could remove all foundation stains off the sponge)

Down side is it is very expensive and even more expensive because I had to pay for shipping!

on 1/13/2011 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this little pink sponge. I use it for foundation, blush, and powder. I haven't noticed the problem that other people mentioned with it soaking up too much product. What I do notice is that my skin looks incredibly natural.

Currently I'm using it with Philosophy's Superbeautiful liquid foundation, Everyday Minerals blush, and Everyday Minerals sunlight powder. The coverage I get is sheer (although I'm guessing that's from the foundation, I'm probably going to try something with more coverage soon), natural looking coverage with no cakey or powdery look. The blush I think is almost the most impressive though. It applies very smooth and evenly giving that "glowing" look.

Needless to say I'm impressed and no longer feel guilty about spending nearly $20 on a sponge. No more application brushes for me!

on 2/21/2011 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I've had this sponge for about 2 months now, and while I don't use it everyday, I absolutely love it and think it's worth every penny. Depending on how I feel, I'll switch up my foundations. This sponge works best for the Revlon Colorstay foundation and the TheBalm creme foundation. I love the way I can stipple (bounce) the foundation on and build up the coverage.The finish is pretty close to flawless. You can definately sheer out the foundation for lighter coverage with this sponge. I personally like medium to full coverage and I can totally achieve that with this sponge. I do love my Sigma flat top synthetic kabuki brush and I use it, but when I wash it and while I wait for it to dry then I use this as my back up.

on 4/20/2011 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This little, simple, pink sponge is awesome. I was skeptical about buying this thinking "It's a sponge with a point." and I dont think I need to even discuss the price. But with reading all the great reviews I decided to give it a go. I ordered it on Sephora & just got it yesterday afternoon. Lately, my face has been blotchy and have been breaking out (I think its due to a new face cleanser I've been using) and no matter how hard I tried to correct the blotchy-ness, I just could not achieve an even skin tone. And ladies ( & gents), you know as well as I do no matter how awesome your eye makeup is, it doesnt matter if the face is looking ugh. Today I tried the BB and....I'm amazed. This dinky thing made my face look totally even, without using alot of product! Amazed. I dont have to layer on a mass amout of foundation and concealer on my icky areas anymore. It also cut the amount of time I spend correcting my skin. Just stiple the sponge a few more times on those areas and wah-lah. This isnt a miracle product, but it's awesome and definately worth trying. I'd buy it all over again in a heart beat.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just wanted to give a heads up to people who live in Canada. At my local London Drugs I found a near perfect dupe of the beauty blender. I was amazed. It is part of the "london look" line and in the aisle with all the brushes. It only cost me 9.99 and literally works and looks like the beauty blender. Waaaay better than the sonia one from target. I am going to go back and get more. I have intense fears of things disappearing from stores once I find something I love! LOL

on 6/26/2011 6:41:00 PM

I have oily skin and acne marks and therefore need a heavier application of my foundation. I have a Quo (Shopper's Drugmart brand) that is great quality but I always felt like the blending wasn't quite enough - I ended up sort of scrubbing the product into my pores, ruining my brush as it's flat and not meant to be used that way. Enter BeautyBlender. I tried copies as the Canadian Sephora didn't have it but nothing was the same. The blender has an added sponginess and porosity. By quickly dabbing, my concealer and foundation blend flawlessly. I would recommend buying the accompanying cleanser. I tried using my MAC brush cleanser but the gel consistency of this one makes it easier to squeeze and massage the makeup out. Granted it will discolour no matter what you use but it doesn't affect its efficacy.

I was expecting to like this a lot, but find I get better results with a flat top brush, and the same amount of coverage. The sponge absorbs a lot of product and I really have to smush it into the areas around my nose to get it to cover, and when I do that, it messes up the areas that are already done. It's also hard to control where you are applying the foundation, so I wind up with a little bit of it around my hairline, which is just icky. I also have a hard time getting it clean and am disturbed by how much pink color comes out of it no matter how many times I've washed it. It seems to emphasize any bad texture of my skin, and my foundation "cracks" more throughout the day when I use this. Plus, they are SUPER expensive. It is a lot of fun to bounce it around your face and I like the way it expands under water, but it's not worth it with the poor results I get. The only people who might really like this IMO are people who just can't get the hang of using a brush to get better results, or for people who don't mind the high cost of the sponge and the cost of wasted product that gets absorbed into it.

on 7/28/2011 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love! I no longer use any brush on my face (except for a powder brush to set my makeup in the end and eyeshadow brushes). This is all I need. it leaves my face look flawless! My ONLY complaint would be that it tends to waste alot of my Palladio foundation. Luckily, my foundation isn't expensive :p but other than that, I would definitely repurchase. What I like to do is swirl my sponge into my foundation and then spray It with my MAC fix + for a SUPER flawless look :)

on 8/24/2011 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using my Beautyblender for 7 or 8 months, during which time I've gone back and forth on how well I like it. But I've settled down to liking it very much, despite the ridiculous price.

I have very oily, acne-prone skin that is very uneven in color and texture. Consequently, foundation has always been important to me, and I usually prefer medium to heavy coverage. With the Beautyblender, I can apply enough foundation to even up my skin tone and cover most red spots while at the same time looking almost like I'm not wearing makeup. The coverage it provides manages to be both opaque and airy. I've never achieved anything like it before, even with other sponges such as the very dense wedges.

I'm currently using foundation that comes in a tube. I squeeze a light amount over the palm of my hand, spreading it out thinly. Then I wet the BB, squeeze out the excess water, and sort of roll it around in the foundation. Not all around; maybe 1/3 of the way. Then I roll it around on my face. If I want a bit more coverage, I dab the BB on my face. Unlike some other reviewers, I have never had a problem using the tip underneath my eyes. It works very well.

WASHING. This is a problem. The BB will pick up some color from your makeup, and bleed pink dye. There's nothing you can do about that. But I've discovered the best way of cleaning it: put some oil-free eye makeup remover (the cheap ones work as well as the pricey ones) on both sides of a cotton ball and press it against the stained areas of the BB. You can squeeze the sponge to extract as much makeup as you can. When you've picked up as much as you can with both sides of the ball, put some cleanser that is good at removing makeup (I love Clean & Clear's Makeup Dissolving Cleanser, but it's been discontinued) on the BB, run some water over it, and squeeze. Make sure to get all the cleanser out and let it air dry, which it will do pretty quickly. You must do this after EACH use, or the makeup will build up on the sponge and it will eventually become unusable.

I've given this product a 4-lippie rating because, while it works amazingly well, the price is ridiculous. I bought the 2-pack in an attempt to save money, but the sponge has held up so well that I don't know when, if ever, I'll get to use the other one.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools