beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 9/2/2014 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What can I say... this little beauty sponge lives up to all the hype. Doesn't waste as much product, easy to use, and blends like a dream. Don't buy the dupes, guys. Just go for the real thing. You won't be disappointed.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Originally, I didn't want to buy into the hype and pay $26 for a sponge for my foundation. Despite watching several YouTube videos where I saw the girls using them, I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a sponge shaped like an egg.

I went through several of the beauty blender knockoffs and thought they did perfectly fine and settled for that. However, one day, my friend told me about her experience with the beautyblender and how much she liked them so I decided that I would give it a try also so that I could compare the $5 sponge to the one that was 5 times its price.

I purchased the beauty blender and the first time I used it, I thought it was okay. I thought it absorbed a lot of foundation and felt like I was using slightly more than I had with the other sponges and other brushes I had as well. However I just assumed it was a new sponge so I didn't really think too much or poorly of it.

The more and more I use it, the more I see why people like it but at the same time, I find that it continues to absorb more foundation than I'd like. I also feel that it stains very easily and the stains arent easy to get out, even with the cleanser that is recommended. The first time I washed it, the water ran bright pink.

Bottom line is, I like it, but I dont love it. If I lost it, I'd probably buy it again but only if it were on sale or in a package deal. I think its convenient to have and makes blending foundation in the morning easier especially when I'm running low on time.

on 12/2/2014 8:52:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this sponge for about a month now and I have to say that I love it.

This sponge applies my makeup better than the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge. Although I still love that sponge, and I will buy it when I cannot afford the BeautyBlender's $20 price tag, the BeautyBlender just applies my makeup more even.

This sponge is less dense and more "bouncy" than the Real Techniques sponge. I also found that it takes less time to blend in my foundation with the BeautyBlender than the Real Techniques sponge, and the sponge soaks up less foundation. It is also easier to clean it. What I also found peculiar is that this sponge dries faster than the Real Techniques sponge. By the end of the day, my BeautyBlender sponge is back to its original size, while the Real Techniques sponge took about 2-3 days to fully dry out to its original size.

This sponge has also outlived my other Real Techniques sponges. Usually about two weeks in, my Real Techniques sponge has rips and holes all of the place due to my long nails. But the BeautyBlender has stayed perfect, even though I clean it more aggressively.

The $20 price tag is cheap, but it is worth it. It has already outlived my Real Techniques sponge and blends my makeup better. I can see this lasting me a long time. I will replace this eventually as sponges, even when cleaned regularly, can get a little nasty. But considering how much easier this one cleans and lasts, I don't see myself replacing it as often as with the Real Techniques sponge.

on 1/19/2015 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I held off a long time before buying because $20 for a sponge??!! But I concede it does do a really good job HOWEVER, in the end my foundation looks exactly the same when I use my Shiseido foundation brush - and I will never have to replace that. It doesapply my concealer much better than my fingers or my brush though. What I don't like about this is that loads, and I mean loads, of pink dye comes off when it is washed. Clearly this stuff is coming off on my skin too. So I won't repurchase unless one is available without colour.

on 1/27/2015 9:25:00 AM

The best thing to ever happen to me. I have dry/sensitive skin with dry flaky patches. Every single foundation brush I used just irritated my skin, make the flakes even worse, and it ends up being patchy and cakey. I like sheer/glowy/natural finish and this does the job perfectly.

I have tried other dupes but they do not even come close to this. It's expensive for a sponge but its well worth it for me.

My only con is it leaks a lot of pink dye. I don't really want that near my skin and after a few washes the sponge also looks quite old/beat up.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'll start this with a disclaimer that I have 2 BB's and both I got free in Birchbox and Glossybox. So I dont have the same negative feelings about price. I might feel differently if I had bought with my hard earned cash as they are pricey
I LOVE my BB - it beats any brush hands down for natural application. I use one for foundation and the other for cream blush and it blends them seemlessly. It also gives a v fresh glow
This wont apply to all but I often do my 60 yr old mums make up - I find foundation sits in her lines and looks cakey which is even more aging BUT with the BB this makes a massive diff as it covers any uneven colour but doesnt cake.

Cons
- price
- your foundation doesnt stay on as well IMO as it would with brush or hands

on 2/24/2015 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have tried so many different blending sponges because I didn't want to take the plunge and spend $20 on a sponge. I found a lot of good, but not great knockoffs. After listing after this product for so long I finally decided to suck it up and buy it. I must say I am very happy with my decision. This is the best blending sponge there is. Trust me I've tried a lot. Wish I bought this one first instead of spending money on knockoffs. This gives a nice even finish and is the perfect shape.

I just got this, but so far I love it!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh my... How have I done my makeup so long without this?
I never really thought about what this sponge could do - because clearly, it's a sponge.
But it applies my makeup flawless. The foundation looks so natural and it really smoothes out pores and imperfections. Its great to use for concealer too because it blends it all so well.
Today I also tried it with powder - it left my skin so flawless. I really can get enough of this product and I need to get a backup! :-)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

EDITED 8/07/2016: I've changed my mind about BB! Upgraded from 3 stars to 5. Review below is outdated and needs to be rewritten when I get around to it. Long story short, I think my first BB was missing the instructions and I used it dry and didn't know I was supposed to apply via tapping/stippling (?). I got another one, followed instructions, and now love :).

"Oh! I get it now!" Yup yup. :D

======

I've tried both the BeautyBlender and a couple of cheaper dupes. They all performed about the same for me. Not horrible by any means (they do work!), but they're a PITA to keep clean. The outcome never justified the extra hassle, especially since my fingers get the job done just as well or better.

On a certain level, I admire the ingenuity of the BB but my fingers are always conveniently attached to my body and are much easier to clean, IMO. I also feel like they're less wasteful of product.

I've tried the BB with a variety of foundations and never once felt like it achieved anything I couldn't do with my fingers. When I buy a new foundation that doesn't quite work, I sometimes experiment with different modes of application (fingers, brush, BB) to see if they change the outcome.

There has only been one instance where the mode of application resulted in a substantial improvement, but that was from using a buffing brush with the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation (BTW, I quite liked it, but ended up returning it because it was a bit too heavy for my needs).

Maybe my makeup routine is just too simple for me to appreciate the BB. I don't do any contouring or anything superfancy, and while I dabbled in highlighting for awhile with the Hourglass ambient lighting palette, that's more of a brush thing (I do use brushes for anything powder-based).

Anyway, meh about this. Probably won't buy another, although time and again, I'm occasionally tempted to give it another go as it seems to work so well for other people. Do I recommend it? Not for me personally, but based on the number of positive reviews, it definitely works for a lot of people!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools