beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by skin type : Normal
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

on 2/15/2010 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I got this sponge as a present for X-mas & I had just started using it the other day, which yes I know is crazy but I didn't know how to use it but if I would have just opened it up I would have seen the directions right in there...duh!! Lol!! But anyways, I've only used it about 3x & I really like it, after reading the directions & watching a couple videos on youtube its so simple & very multipurpose! You can use it with foundation, liquid or powder, concealer, cream blush, or just about anything!! The pointy end let's you use it in hard to reach areas & the wider end is for larger spaces. I got the one sponge with the clean which, is great also & clean up is so much quicker than cleaning regular mu brushes, I actually don't mind cleaning the sponge after every use unlike washing mu brushes where u have to pull out the shampoo & everything then let dry over night or so. Yeah, the sponge has to sit there & dry too but it seems so much faster & easier! Prior to me using this sponge I had bought the MAC 190 brush & tried that for almost a week & didn't like it at all so I just returned it & feel much more comfortable using this or my 187 brush. Yes, this sponge is a bit expensive but I recommend you getting one, it is worth it! Even though I didn't buy this one, I am gonna get another, once this one gets old because its so good!!

on 5/28/2010 2:03:00 PM

I'd wanted this product for about 6 months and finally broke down and bought it after my Sonia Kashuk sponge was a flop. I love this thing! It applies my liquid foundation and concealer beautifully and is pretty easy to clean with baby shampoo. I have noticed quite a bit of hot pink dye going down the drain when I wash it, but I assume that will go away after a few more washes. This is definitely worth the money and I will repurchase once my two wear out.

on 11/15/2010 11:54:00 AM

When I first seen this on Sephora.com, I thought it was a gimmick product, then I thought they want how much for a sponge ? I researched it, & decided to try it. I am glad I did. I can really notice a difference after using it. My skin looks smooth, & I think I actually use less foundation. Which in the long run, makes up for the cost of the blender. The shape is really nice for blending in the corner of the eyes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I can't express my love for this product enough. It IS way over priced (after all it's only a sponge) and I wish I knew how to make my own sponge but since I can't I will continue to buy it because there is no knock off that can do the job like this...definitely one of my favs.

on 1/25/2011 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Wow wow wow i love this pink sponge :) Stumbled upon this product accidently on youtube and started reading reviews here and decided to give this a try..i am no makeup expert mind you..but even i am amazed by the results. I used this with the MAC Studio Sculpt foundation and it applied like a dream, no streaks, makeup does'nt look caked on. Before this sponge i used to use ELF Studio Blush brush or my fingers..i felt it would not cover enough but after using this sponge i realise what i've been missing. Overall a biggggg YAY from me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I don't know how helpful this review will be, as I've just received this from a swap and have only had it for a few days.

I've used it twice so far. The first time I ever soaked it in water, some of the pink dye came out. It wasn't a lot, but it did tint the small cup of water I had. It didn't affect how the product worked for me.

I love this sponge. It's very flexible and although tiny, it does expand to 2x its original size. The flexibility of this sponge helps blend my MakeUp Forever HD foundation with ease, especially since that particular foundation is meant for photoshoots and can feel heavy. And because the sponge is damp when I use it, I save a lot of product and it never feels cakey, almost like there's nothing there to begin with. I still get the same coverage I use with a brush, too, which is perfect.

I had a sample of the beautyBlender Cleanser to clean it with. I don't know if it was just me or if I didn't clean it the right way, but the cleanser didn't work for me. Instead, I used Cetaphil face wash since it has no scent or anything, and it's safe for sensitive skin. I didn't need a lot, but it cleaned my sponge instantly.

I am in love, and it is definitely a new staple for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the best product for putting on foundation. The shape, the feel, and the texture of this sponge are perfect!

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I'm definitely digging it!

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want 100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

Popular Misc Beauty Tools