beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 9/5/2007 10:01:00 AM

If you hate applying foundation with a sponge, as I did, and gave up on using foundation brushes, as I did, wait til you get your hands on the beautyblender! I realize that sounds crazy, but it is true! I was able to obtain one of these little pink egg-shaped sponges from a generous MUAer in a swap. At first, I was skeptical. I have never been successful at applying foundation with a sponge, no matter what shape they were, and I've tried all the shapes I could find out there. And the smell of latex sponges makes me sick, so that made the selection of sponges to try even more limited. I read the instructions my swapper included, and then I tried the sponge with my LaMer foundation. It was nothing short of amazing to see how fast and evenly I was able to get a perfect application! I pumped out a little onto the back of my hand, then dabbed the rounded end of the sponge into the foundation and used the stippling technique, just dotting the sponge onto my face. It took less than a minute and I was finished! I tried the sponge with a heavier foundation next, that is the Dior Forever. Again I was amazed. Out in broad daylight with a magnifying mirror, I could find no flaws in the way this sponge applied the foundation. No skipped areas, no open pores, no accumulation in lines and wrinkles. Maybe it could be the foundations themselves, but IMO this is the most effective and fool-proof way of applying a liquid foundation. I did not even dampen the sponge. I've wasted lots of money on foundation brushes that streak and skip and are messy to deal with and result in ugly, visible, uneven application. I will never use a brush again. I'll buy and re-buy and stockpile and hoard and stash these little beautyblenders!

on 10/18/2007 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

General description of me: I am NC15, with auburn hair, brown eyes, and freckles. I am a bit gullible, and am easily suckered in by anything in the beauty world that is new, exclusive, and often, expensive. I like shiny things, and like a chicken, I can't resist them. This isn't shiny, but it was expensive, so naturally, I wanted it. Of course, I couldn't find it on a swap list, so I forked over the $$
Description of product: It arrived in a sealed, clear plastic container, like a pink egg from another world, sent here in it's own little time capsule. My little pink egg had some rough traveling. Its package cruelly dug into it, making two odd dents. I found this disturbing and was concerned for the welfare of my expensive pink egg. I decided to take out the little packet of cleanser included with it to give the egg a bath and hope it would be reborn egg shaped instead of squished. After a bath and drying time overnight, the egg was reborn into its original unblemished state, and I was finally able to try it out. I don't like delayed gratification, but the pink egg was worth it. Despite feeling like something of a sucker for paying that much for what is basically a makeup sponge, I quickly got over it and put the little pink egg to work for its money's worth.
Effects of this product: I first used it only for blending foundation. It works quite well for this purpose, better than a typical sponge, and doesn't seem to erase what I have just spent time applying. It just gives it a soft focus. For me, the real test of it came when I found I was suddenly reaching for it all the time for e/s blending. It just seemed to make it look like I had been to a professional makeup artist for application, and I am actually a bit of a makeup klutz in terms of application. I think the first step is to admit you have a problem......
so back to the review. I continue to rely on my little pink friend nearly continuously. I blend with it every day. I eventually tossed it's distant cousins, the round drug store imitators. And I have a secret....... my little pink sponge won't be lonely long. I've ordered it a twin sister.
continued >>

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I must agree with everyone else here. You need this! I have never been a big fan of sponges, but this one works well, the shape is versatile and the material is superb. I bought two.

WARNING: If you have a cat, store this away safely when not in use. It is a very attractive cat toy!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with this product!!! I've used regular sponges, fingers, and at least half a dozen foundation brushes. This gives the PERFECT finish and is ten times easier and faster than any other method of application. It can give even the sheerest foundations coverage. They also hold up a very long time. I had my first for about 6 months in great shape before i lost it! I'll never be without this product again!!

on 11/29/2007 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using the beautyblender sponge every day for a couple of weeks now, and thus far, I've decided that it works best with denser, heavily pigmented foundations like Kevyn Aucoin's SSE. I've used it with various foundations. VL Liquid Canvas Dew, GA LSF, Shiseido The Makeup Cream, LM Silk Creme, and others I'm blanking on at the moment. IMHO, it works best (dampened like the instructions suggest) with KA SSE and not as wonderfully with some of the less dense ones. I think with other lighter, liquid foundations, it absorbs more product than I'd like. I'm glad I got it because it helps the KA SSE go on beautifully. I tried the KA SSE without the beautyblender a couple of times and couldn't get the same natural-looking results. I think it would work well to blend concealer, too, but I haven't tried that yet. I've never had any luck at all with makeup sponges (I use brushes or fingers), but the beautyblender has made a difference with my applicaiton of KA's SSE. If you use denser, cream foundations, I'd highly suggest getting it. If you only use lighter, liquid foundations, I don't think (at this point in my experimentation) it would be worth it.

on 12/11/2007 6:42:00 AM

i love the beautyblender! i use laura mercier tinted moisturizer, and sometimes shiseido cream foundation and both apply flawlessly with the beautyblender. when i first purchased it i tested it out on my skin with too-dark foundation just to see its coverage and it worked like a charm. no streaks or lines. i also use the beautyblender to apply blush/bronzer after my foundation and it works like a charm. concealer as well. what a winning product!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I was using a MAC 188 brush to apply my foundation, but not anymore! The beautyblender is the best thing I have bought so far. It makes my foundation look so smooth and flawless. Luckily, my local Pure Beauty sold this so I didn't have to order it online. It retails for $19.95. Right now, I'm using this to apply Dior Forever foundation and I truly look like I have nothing on. Just my skin, but better. I'm so amazed. I know it doesn't look like anything special but it's a remarkable product and I can honestly say, I can't go back to brushes just as long as this sponge exists. Love it!

on 1/26/2008 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for beauty gadgets, always looking for that new product that will be the HG. So to treat myself, I bought the two pack together with the cleanser.

I like the beautyblender but I think I'm less impressed with it because I was already really good at applying foundation with my fingers. That said, this has provided the best coverage that I have ever gotten from a tool, hands down. Foundation brushes are terrible and latex sponges don't do much better. So it's either this or my fingers. The benefit to this is that it may be faster and less messy than using my hands. I'm still working on the technique - it's not difficult but the more you play with it, the better you become at achieving "special effects". I have yet to master the "stipple and swirl" to cover up those pesky blemishes.

Over all a good product. I can see where it would become a consistent part of someone's kit and can certainly help those people who've not had "professional" make-up application down to an art (the symptom of all beauty junkies!) - it makes foundation a no brainer.

EDIT: I have found that, when washing the blender, it works better to get it soapy before getting it wet. I wash it with the blender cleanser. I wait until it's "dry" (natural state) and then put cleanser all over the spots where there is makeup. I then work it in and after get the blender wet - it seems to work better as nearly all the makeup is washed out, what usually isn't the case if i wash it in a dampened state.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I agree with PandaKoeken's review (below) 100% (well put, btw) and would add two comments on this product: 1. It's not the kind of sponge we're used to...not sure what it is, but it's better (more "cushy, dense...I dunno) and 2. It really bothers me that I can't get it clean. I've used everything but it remains stained. If anyone can hook me up with a solution to this please email me. TIA.
Overall, worth having, great for travel, if used as directed (moisten & bounce onto skin) it does indeed provide flawless application.

on 4/27/2009 11:22:00 AM

I have tried both the beautyblender AND the SK Blue Peep and this is my comparison of both.

Due to MUA hype, I hopped on the bandwagon and purchased this sponge. I purchased it ONLY after I tested the dupe of the beautyblender, which is dubbed the Sonia Kaschuk "Blue Peep".

Here are my thoughts on the Blue Peep.

PROS-
It's cheaper then the beautyblender.
It's the same size WHEN DRY as the beautyblender.
The sponge is very durable.

CONS-
It smells like..rubber (I've washed it 10 times so far, still rubber smell).
It doesn't expand when wet like the beautyblender, so smaller surface area, takes longer to blend with it.
It doesn't blend evenly.

I liked the Blue Peep, but I wanted to see if the more expensive one worked any better. At first I was a bit apprehensive. $25 for a sponge? Really?? But then I saw that you can actually buy 2 for $30 so that works out to $15 a sponge. Only $5 more then the Blue Peep.

IMO the beautyblender is worth the money. Here is why....

PROS-
Expands to twice its size when wet and covers more area.
Is much softer then the SK Blue peep.
Blends beautifully! My foundation looks air brushed and so even.
No smell.

CONS-
It's more expensive.
The sponge is fragile!! I made the mistake of rubbing the narrow end of it a little too hard to get makeup out and it started to rip, hence the subtracted lippie. Be careful with your beautyblender!!

I use my SK peep for everyday makeup. For special occasions, I use my beautyblender. The beautyblender is suppose to last 3 months with daily use. If you limit it to special occasions, you can get much more time out of it. I hope this review helps someone!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools