beautyblender the sponge

4.3

on 11/18/2014 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I don't use brushes. I've used cheapie disposable sponges in the past for cream/liquid products and have been satisfied. Mostly I just use my fingers to apply what I wear now, which are TMs or sheer liquid foundations.
Few weeks back I bought the Target brand blending sponge for 5 bucks. It's latex, very smooth, dense and stiff. Not super absorbent and doesn't swell up much or hold much water. I find that it applies my TM MUCH BETTER than fingers. Coverage is much smoother, more even, more natural-looking and not too sheer for my needs. I took my magnifying mirror outside and compared fingers to sponge, and sponge won hands down. I do find that I use a bit more product than when applying with fingers. THIS ONLY PROVES TO ME THAT I LIKE SPONGES BETTER THAN FINGERS.

When I tried the BeautyBlender, I was surprised that it was much softer, dryer, more absorbent and much less dense than the Target sponge. It's not latex, so maybe that's the difference. In any event, I found I used a lot more product than with fingers or the Target sponge. Not good when my TM is 27 bucks an ounce. I don't like the shape of it, the Target sponge works better on nose, jawline, anywhere that has curvatures. Application was easy and looked good, but certainly no better than the Target sponge. THIS JUST PROVES TO ME THAT I LIKE THE RESULTS FROM THE CHEAP LATEX SPONGE MUCH BETTER.
Thankfully my friend is a super product junkie with a big budget; she's always handing me down things, and this BB sponge was one of them. I wouldn't pay for it and am glad I didn't. Side note: she's kind of an expert and used the BB a couple times and didn't care for it at all.

In the end, non disposable sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria. I won't repurchase either of them. What I will do is revisit disposable cosmetic sponges, as the one thing that became clear to me in all of this is that I prefer sponges to fingers.

on 12/8/2014 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

To be honest, I'm not loving this for foundation at all. My big thing with foundation is getting a natural, skin-like finish. My skin at the moment is really dry (it gets combo in the summer though), and I have mild acne and fine lines but no textural issues otherwise, nor am I someone who looks for full coverage. I just feel like it's much harder to control the amount/sheerness of your foundation with a sponge, and it always ends up giving me cake-face :( I'm not sure I like this better than fingers, let alone a quality brush. Granted, a good brush is a lot more expensive than this, but it'll last you for years.

On the other hand, I really like it for concealer! I guess it's because I like to tap on concealer (rather than blending it in, like foundation) and this is perfect for that. I'll probably buy the mini ones next, since they seem perfect for concealer.

Judging by how well this works with my concealers, and not foundations, I think the beauty blender is best suited for thicker, creamier formulations rather than the very liquidy, siliconey foundations I like. It's a good product overall (and definitely better than cheaper sponges) so I'll give it a 4, it's just not suited to most of *my* purposes.

on 12/11/2014 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I used to use a stippling brush to apply my MUFE HD foundation but since getting this have become a convert.

It gives me a really nice airbrush finish and application time is very quick! A definite bonus for a non-morning person like me who gets ready til the last minute before running out to catch the bus!

i use the pointy end to apply undereye concealer (tarte creaseless concealer) and am very pleased so far. A little goes a long way if you're looking for that everyday, natural yet flawless look.

I think part of the reason this works well for me is that my products are on the thicker side. I can see it wasting a lot of product if it's very watery. I must admit I was worried it would absorb most of my foundation but I use almost the same amount (probably slightly more) with the beautyblender. I also love how you can build it up in layers, giving you more coverage without cakiness.

I have the white version and when I wash it with my face wash it looks almost like new again. It's pretty durable so far, and so so soft that it doesn't bother sensitive areas like the under eye (I've had this problem with other, harder sponges).

Overall I really like this and will likely buy it again, but only if I don't find a good dupe because it is definitely overpriced.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

While I'm not aware of there being any differences between the various colors offered, this review is for the pink beautyblender.

I was incredibly skeptical of a $20 sponge and wasted my time and money with some cheaper options before biting the bullet. However, since purchasing (about a year and a half ago) I have definitely fallen in love and have even gone so far as to gift others beautyblenders as well.

To use, I completely wet my beautyblender at which point it expands in size, then I squeeze out excess water. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I'll then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze out more excess water but most of the time I skip that step and haven't seen any reduction in performance. I then dab liquid foundation directly onto my face using my fingers, following up with the beautyblender to stipple it over my face.

A foundation that may look pretty decent with a skinlike finish when applied with fingers is transformed to a slightly dewier, but still believable finish. This method also applies my foundation more evenly, and doesn't leave streak marks as a brush does (which I find absorbs more of the product too).

I also occasionally use a beautyblender to apply concealer for more even coverage and to help prevent cakeiness. Sometimes if I'm wearing powder foundation which I prefer using brushes for, I'l dampen a beautyblender and gently pat my face with it to absorb excess powder for a more natural finish as well.

The beautyblender is a sponge material and can be sensitive to sharp objects so I have nicked it with my nail before and it has a tiny hole in that spot. However, the hole hasn't grown noticeably larger even with washing either before/after each use so I imagine this will last me a while. After about a year of using it about 3x a week the only difference is that the pink dye has faded so instead of the hot pink it was originally it's a slightly dulled bubblegum pink however this hasn't affected the performance. As a side note, I love using olive oil bar soap (I use Kiss My Face but Dr. Bronner's is a really popular brand) to clean mine and it gets out all the stains.

Contrasted with the dupes I tried (a generic 4-pack off Amazon, and then a slightly more expensive $10 sponge) I find the beautyblender expands much more, is softer, and absorbs less liquid product making it a more economical option in the long run. If you're using it with powder foundation to go lightly over when you're done applying with a brush, I think the dupes would perform just as well.

Overall, the beautyblender suits my needs since the finish of products matters a lot to me and I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase in the future. However, for anyone who is happy with how their foundation looks already, I don't think this would be necessary.

on 1/17/2015 4:30:00 AM

I just love this sponge! I always get compliments on my make up looking air brushed. I have had expensive make up brushes but still felt my foundation just wasn't 100% I would much rather buy the beauty blender over a brush any day. Is simple to use and the results are fab! I can't say enough good things about it! I always buy on Amazon it is cheaper for the same product!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

it took me forever to take the plunge and buy this little sucker. Almost $30 CAD on a sponge was baffling to me... But I am so happy I bought it!! I like to use this on the days I don't want as much makeup on my face because it blends and shears out heavier foundations beautifully.

But what I REALLY love using this for is to blend out undereye concealer. I'm either using maybelline dark circle eraser (fav drug store concealer), or my MAC pro longwear concealer (in NC20) - both very thick, opaque concealers, but it just blends and buffs out the concealer so nicely.

guys, this sponge the bomb dot com. take the plunge and get it.

on 3/24/2015 8:05:00 PM

I will repurchase this, the beauty blender really makes foundation and primer look amazing. I use it damp and I need only a very small amount of foundation and it blends so nicely with this.

on 3/30/2015 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

it's alright... i used this for a few months and i got so tired of going from my bedroom to the bathroom to wet it that i just gave up and went back to my UD optical blurring brush. i was always confused about how wet was too wet and how dry was too dry, since there were literally no answers about that on the internet. plus it seemed to suck up more and more of my foundation every time i'd use it after i'd give it its weekly clean with the blendercleanser! it blends things out very well but it's just a hassle, honestly.

Pricey but worth it. I used to use the Real Techniques buffing brush and before that a paddle foundation brush and honestly I'll never go back to anything else!

on 6/3/2015 3:34:00 PM

I don't see why everyone loves this, I prefer my brushes to this, I only use this sponge for my concealer and I don't think it's worth spending 20 on a sponge to blend your concealer. Very disappointed

Popular Misc Beauty Tools