beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 4/25/2014 2:09:00 PM

my daughter picked this up for my birthday and this is the best thing for blending my cream blush. it looks natural and lasts all day

on 5/7/2014 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

So, having dry skin, the only application technique I was ever really able to get away with was my fingers. Brushes are just awful in my opinion, and way way too heavy coverage, and I'd never tried just the cheap sponges because...well that's what I had fingers for. I've never been a big foundation person ANYWAYS, I find it makes my skin look awful (and I've tried everything from drugstore to high end, including primers, mixing with moisturizer, I do moisturize and exfoliate, it just never looked good, and if it did, it lasted maybe an hour), but I like it, because it *can* look more natural than concealer, and lets the skin breathe more. So I figured with this, I could finally wear foundation without caking, flaking, or melting off my face.
Nope, nope, nope. I don't know why I expected this to work, but it just doesn't. I followed several tutorials to the tee, and it still looked like wet, patchy makeup. Which then looked dry and patchy in about 15 minutes. Concealer before foundation? Oh, lets just completely take off all the concealer you just put on. Foundation before concealer? Let's do the same! And yes, I waited for the layers to dry and I tried it a million different ways, and bottom line, is it's just a sponge. Yes it's feels nice, it's pretty, but is it worth 20-30$? Hell no!
I found out just a couple of days ago that I can use it dry for my concealer (I gave up foundation again), and it looks a smidge better than when I use my fingers, but again, not worth the money. I could probably have the same effect with a cheap bag of makeup sponges, and at least that way I can throw them out every couple of uses so I don't have a cesspool of bacteria being bounced on my face. Good thing I didn't fall for the cleanser too.
Last thing, it soaked up a crrrraaazzzyyyyy amount of my foundation. I usually need 1 full pump of liquid foundation to ENTIRELY cover my face...that's even with some left over. This? This took 5 pumps! What the heck is that about! So not only did I waste money on a 25$ sponge, I wasted huge amounts of product, some of which is really expensive.
I will keep it and use dry for my concealer, but I will most certainly not repurchase. Am I the only one who is bitter about being duped into buying a product way over marketed and over priced? I hope not, cause I feel pretty darn stupid.

on 5/27/2014 2:31:00 PM

I like it, but I'm not in love with it. In fact, my favorite use for it is to apply powder. When the sponge is very lightly damp (as it should be to use), I press it against my powder and bounce it on my t zone. It sets makeup without giving off a powdery finish - just a nice, natural, matte.

Otherwise, I do occasionally use it for a liquid foundation, but I don't think it works that much better on my skin than a brush does, and it does soak up more of my foundation. It is better at covering red areas in one go, and not leaving streaks, but if you're moderately decent with a brush, streaks aren't an issue anyway.

I've been using it for a couple months, and because of the price, I doubt I will repurchase immediately. I got this one in Januarys Glossybox subscription, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to repurchase at this point.

on 5/30/2014 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

soooooo amazing product! since i've a dry skin its hard for me to look not 'cakey' but thank god this one make the foundation/concealer blends well to my face..flawless!

x

on 7/10/2014 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Based on the hype, I caved in and bought this (and who can resist the pink color?). Overall, it's a fine sponge and does the job nicely. But, it's nothing specatular. I mean, it's just a sponge!

on 8/2/2014 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Yes, yes, yes all the way! Not much else to say really! The hype is justified, absolutely flawless finish. So happy I purchased this. Buy it!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've had this sponge for about a year and I've used it many different ways in order to be able to write a comprehensive review on the product. I always begin with a clean sponge that has been soaked in clean water and wrung out but still damp. If I put liquid foundation on my hand and use the large end of the sponge to pick up product to apply to my face, it wastes foundation. It is also hard to clean all the excess foundation the sponge has soaked up. The best way to use the sponge for foundation application is to spread or dot the foundation around the face, then use the sponge to blend. I prefer using the larger side first, then I use the smaller end to blend around my nose, eyes, etc. Let the bounciness of the sponge help blend the foundation for you--don't rub too much with the sponge. The dampness of the sponge leaves your skin with a dewy finish. Another way I like to use this blender is to apply my liquid or cream foundation with my fingers, then use the damp sponge in a dotting motion to set it, leaving it with a dewy, fresh look. After use, I let the sponge dry until I get ready to use it the next time, then I wash it. The best cleanser for the sponge is liquid hand soap or diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse again as this baby sucks up a lot of soap.

on 8/30/2014 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: OK, I bought the super duper tiny green ones because they were adorable, but I haven't found them terribly useful just yet. I pretty much only use them for the undereye and for blending a browbone highlight in but it's really nothing that Big Pink can't do. They're fun, though, can't argue with that - just not the time-savers that the big one is. If I find an innovative new use for them you guys will be the first to know...

Ah, the beautyblender. It's become one of those things I can't live without, but it definitely has some issues I wish they'd fix.

First of all, a confession: I almost never use this wet, and when I do, I just spritz it with rosewater. I don't run it under the tap and let it puff up like you're supposed to. I find that a)I am lazy and this takes less time, and b)the sponge soaks up more product this way, giving me nice sheer coverage instead of full-on makeup, and c)I can use it to blend out powder products when it's dry without risk of color changes or cakiness. I'll spritz it to build up my liquid foundation, blend my concealer, and remove product if I've overpowdered.

This leads in to my number-one gripe about the beautyblender: it is such a pain in the ass to clean! I've tried the two soaps by the same company but I've found that the two things that work best for me are Dr. Bronner's soap and MAC Cleanse Off Oil. When you use the sponge dry, however, it stains really really badly and always looks a little dingy. The time I save putting on my makeup in the morning is used to clean and re-clean the sponge when I get home. If you've got any tips, PM me and I'll be eternally grateful.

My second gripe: The dye. Thinking about buying the "pure" version but I'm worried that it would look even more horribly dingy than the pink one. I bought the black "pro" ones but found that, while they didn't bleed, they also had a different texture that I didn't like as much. No matter how much you wash it or what you wash it with, this sponge will always, always bleed pink dye. I've had my original for a long time now -- probably time to chunk it, honestly -- and it's been washed thousands of times with every soap under the sun, and it still bleeds dye when I use Dr. Bronner's. I even soaked it in vinegar on a whim to remedy the dye problem since that's what you do with bleeding brushes (note: this was gross, don't do it. It didn't hurt the sponge but I think it made it angry). I think that, after I've stopped using this one on my face and right before I throw it out, I'm going to experiment with some Borax to see if that'll remedy my sponge problems, haha.

So I'm going to keep buying them because I love how easy and sheer they make foundation application, but I'm also going to keep complaining about them and their ridiculous pricetag until they either fix the staining/bleeding issues or I find a comparable dupe. ;) Plus, it's adorable and soft and I just can't stay mad at something that lets me sleep a couple extra minutes in the morning.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh beautyblender, where have you been all my life? When you found me, I applied foundation inexpertly with either my fingertips or a cosmetic sponge wedge. I looked like some crazy lady who put on her makeup in the dark.... my foundation was uneven and streaky. The car vanity mirror was both my worst enemy and my best friend. Sitting at a red light, I was embarrassed by the sloppy way I wore foundation, yet grateful to have the chance to correct it before heading to work. Now my skin is so even and glow-y! MUAers: this little tool is expensive, but absolutely amazing! It takes me about five minutes to apply foundation flawlessly in the morning and my skin looks even and dewy all day. I am so happy to have found this! Will definitely repurchase.

on 11/8/2014 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I reaad soooo much about what an amazing product this was that I just could not resist giving it a try. I had super low expectations because I am pretty much addicted to the various foundation brushes I use on the daily which give flawless coverage and I figured nothing can compare. While in line I was having flashbacks of those horrific sponge wedges I used to buy in High School that were terrible but for the sake of beauty, I persevered and resisted the temptation to put it down and just pick up a new brush instead. Now that I have used this for nearly a month, in a variety of ways, I am still on the fence as to whether it was worth the price or is worth the hype, or not.

For Foundation Application:
I have a couple foundations that I hadn't been able to use as much as I wished: Clinique Redness Solutions (because it went on too thick and dry looking on my already patchy dry skin) and my Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup (which I love for its moisturization and yellow tones but hate due to the way it settles into my pores). When I sued the beauty blender to apply these, they went on like a dream for the first time - I couldn't even tell I had foundation on it was so natural looking in its finish. But then I noticed something... the sponge soaked up the majority of product and definitely reduced my full coverage foundations to tinted lotion status. This is NOT cool when you are talking about 2 foundations products that total almost $90! The pro here is that I will now actually use some of my more pricy foundations that had just been laying around. The con is that if I used this with my HG foundations Chantecaille Future Skin ($75), Laura Mercier Creme Smooth ($53), or my Nars Sheer Glow ($45) I would be wasting copious amounts of extremely expensive products as well as changing them from flawless coverage formulations into tints! This sponge drinks up foundation like nobody's business IMO.

For Cream Contour & Highlighting:
I have always had to work hard at blending cream highlights out well for one reason or another. And here is where the Beauty Blender (and its pointy end) work well. However (yup, another caveat!) much like with foundation application the majority gets soaked up in the sponge so this is really only beneficial on top of foundation. Being as how I want my highlighting under my foundation, I am just not that impressed. I did like how it blended my darker and thicker (IE cheapo products) less utilized contour creams though, providing a nice natural look.

So yeah, the beauty blender does blend out foundation well - but it also wastes 90% (if not more) of the product in which was actually intended to go ONTO your face. Because it makes hard to use products work, that deserves 5 stars. Because it wastes so much product, that deserves 1 star. Because it is way overpriced for what it does, that deserves 0 stars (honestly this thing should cost 8-12 bucks). Once I run out of Chanel foundation I am betting I will never use this blender again, which makes it a completely useless waste of money.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools