beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I can't express my love for this product enough. It IS way over priced (after all it's only a sponge) and I wish I knew how to make my own sponge but since I can't I will continue to buy it because there is no knock off that can do the job like this...definitely one of my favs.

on 11/15/2010 11:54:00 AM

When I first seen this on Sephora.com, I thought it was a gimmick product, then I thought they want how much for a sponge ? I researched it, & decided to try it. I am glad I did. I can really notice a difference after using it. My skin looks smooth, & I think I actually use less foundation. Which in the long run, makes up for the cost of the blender. The shape is really nice for blending in the corner of the eyes.

on 5/28/2010 2:03:00 PM

I'd wanted this product for about 6 months and finally broke down and bought it after my Sonia Kashuk sponge was a flop. I love this thing! It applies my liquid foundation and concealer beautifully and is pretty easy to clean with baby shampoo. I have noticed quite a bit of hot pink dye going down the drain when I wash it, but I assume that will go away after a few more washes. This is definitely worth the money and I will repurchase once my two wear out.

on 2/15/2010 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I got this sponge as a present for X-mas & I had just started using it the other day, which yes I know is crazy but I didn't know how to use it but if I would have just opened it up I would have seen the directions right in there...duh!! Lol!! But anyways, I've only used it about 3x & I really like it, after reading the directions & watching a couple videos on youtube its so simple & very multipurpose! You can use it with foundation, liquid or powder, concealer, cream blush, or just about anything!! The pointy end let's you use it in hard to reach areas & the wider end is for larger spaces. I got the one sponge with the clean which, is great also & clean up is so much quicker than cleaning regular mu brushes, I actually don't mind cleaning the sponge after every use unlike washing mu brushes where u have to pull out the shampoo & everything then let dry over night or so. Yeah, the sponge has to sit there & dry too but it seems so much faster & easier! Prior to me using this sponge I had bought the MAC 190 brush & tried that for almost a week & didn't like it at all so I just returned it & feel much more comfortable using this or my 187 brush. Yes, this sponge is a bit expensive but I recommend you getting one, it is worth it! Even though I didn't buy this one, I am gonna get another, once this one gets old because its so good!!

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this sponge! I was skeptical at first--and it is a little expensive for "just a sponge"--however after using this for a few weeks I know it's waaaay more than just a sponge. It doesn't compare at all to the usual sponges used to apply foundation. The key to getting the most out of beautyblender is not to rub--just kind of dab (it does all of the blending for you using this method, without wiping the foundation off). I have the mac 188 and just about every other foundation brush, but nothing really compares to this! I've used beautyblender with almost all of my liquid foundations and it performs equally well with each of them. If you prefer liquid foundation, this sponge is a must for you to try!! I'll definately be repurchasing.

on 7/6/2008 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Beautyblender has transformed the way I do my makeupand the finished result. I used to use brushes for my foundation and concealer, and although I was happy enough with the results, application took forever and I had to be careful to blend really well to eliminate any sign of brush strokes.
With the Beautyblender, my foundation application is surprisingly quick and using the pointy end it just takes a couple of seconds to cover up my dark circles with concealer. And the results are amazing. The finish is flawless, the application looks invisible, and any signs of dark circles are banished.
I'm naughty and only wash mine a couple of times a week as it takes more time to clean than it does to use (I use Philosophy Purity to clean it).
They are horribly expensive, especially in my part of the world, so I wait till cyberemporium.com.au have a sale (I got mine at 30% off).
It comes with a ridiculous amount of packaging, which I find really wasteful. You can supposedly use the packaging to sit the BB on to dry it out, but who's realistically going to keep packaging that's about 5 times the size of the product?
A word of advice: if you have cats, don't leave this out within their reach. I saw my cat racing around last night with a pink toy. "Ooh, cute" I thought to myself, until I realised that he didn't have any pink toys. Thankfully I managed to retrieve my BB before he did too much damage to it.
UPDATE: 09/08/08 (minus 1 lippie). I'm finding that I use twice as much foundation with this to get less coverage than I would with a brush as the sponge soaks up so much product. Am now applying foundation roughly with my fingers and then using this to blend, and am getting great results.
After 3 months am finding that it's starting to disintegrate a little. For the price I would expect it to last longer.

on 4/8/2008 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my "egg" for a year now. Using it daily and cleansing after each use it's still in good condition. Nice size and shape for setting MMU!

EDIT: Sonya Kashuk's Blue Peep has replaced the BB as my new favorite. Less expensive and just as good, although quite a bit more "firm" in texture.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

on 1/9/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I first tried this product 1 1/2 years ago & gave it a negative review after trying it for a week. And I returned the sponge. Now, a year & a half later, I decided to buy it again & take another stab at it. Hopefully I can help someone w/this new, revised review.

When I originally tried the sponge it didn't work even tho I followed the prep. directions perfectly. Soaked it w/water, then squeezed water out & squeezed it again w/a towel. That dried the sponge too much, so it absorbed the foundation instantly & it was virtually unusable. I had to use a ton of foundation & even then I ended up w/super sheer coverage because the gallons of foundation had soaked into the sponge.

NOW, however, I decided to skip the towel - just squeezing the water out with my hand & going right to the foundation. VICTORY!

I think this is a very counter-intuitive thing, which is why I didn't figure it out originally. I figured that moisture in the sponge would dilute the foundation & end up providing too sheer coverage. Wrong! Actually, when there is some moisture in the sponge (don't use a towel!) the sponge cannot absorb as much foundation - because its little sponge cells are full of water! So by leaving my sponge a bit moist, I was able to use it properly because it didn't absorb nearly as much foundation. AND, the added moisture makes it possible to move the foundation around.

I'm delighted that I got back on the horse & tried this again. Wish I hadn't waited a year & a half, but hey . . . took me that long to get interested again & come up with a revised method of use.

Also, after using it for foundation, I gently tapped the pointed end into my Bobbi Brown concealer & patted it under each eye. Heaven. Looks even better than when I use my BB concealer brush, which I love. I'm glad I can take away my neg. review & give this gem the 5 lippies it has earned.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools