beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 11/19/2015 10:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I bought a Sephora brand similar sponge to save $. Used that for 3 years, without it breaking down. On a whim I bought The Sponge 2 weeks ago. It is So Much Better! Soft and the pointy end is great for concealer and the corners of your eyes and nose! And the large end provides flawless coverage--amazingly better than the knock-off!! I'm so surprised and pleased. I'm looking forward to applying my foundation in the mornings! Even at the price, this is one of those worth it things.

on 11/19/2015 2:54:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Alright, let's talk about the beauty blender. This will be a very long review so that I can cover all the bases.

I would rate it about a 3. I sort of like it, I don't love it. I think there is a lot of hype about this product that needs to be addressed though.

First off, this is a very hit and miss product for foundation. I have quite an expansive makeup collection which means I have dozens of foundations that I have tested this with. I have come to this conclusion: the beauty blender is suitable for matte, full coverage foundations. It works with SOME medium coverage satin finish foundations but more than likely it does not. I love this with my Kat Von D Lock-It foundation, and my Makeup Forever Matte Velvet foundation. The Beauty Blender, however, *completely* sucks up my MUFE HD foundation which is a satin finish. I need 4 pumps, even 5, of the product to get a decent amount of product on my face, and even then it doesn't compare to the coverage I get out of 2 pumps with a brush. This does work decently with my L'oreal True Match (satin) however. Again I have to use quite a bit more but it's not to the degree of the MUFE HD. Do not even attempt to use this with a light coverage dewy finish foundation. You will need 4x the product in that case. It is a complete waste.

My best recommendation is if you're rich and don't care about using 6 pumps of a foundation, the finish will be beautiful no matter what foundation you're using honestly. If not, stick with thicker foundations with the Beauty Blender. The Tarte foundation is a gel consistency, as well as the Mac Studio sculpt (also a gel) so those work better with the BB.

This works quite beautifully with undereye concealer, any of them frankly because of course they tend to be thicker. It blends concealer out without pulling your undereye area, takes away enough product so that you don't have too much excess under your eye. Despite this, I don't really find myself going to my washroom to wet my BB, get a towel, dry it, do my makeup, and then wash it afterwords and put it in a ventilated area to assure it doesn't get moldly. It's just a long process, you know? I don't find myself reaching for it often. I'd like to, but I always think 'nah I'm not up for it right now'.

Also, I do think my BB might have developed mold despite me putting it in a well ventilated area, washing it pretty frequently and only owning it for about 1.5/2 months. I'm not sure 100% sure if it was mold, or just a pesky stain. I tried scrubbing at that area and all the other spots came out, while that darkish area did not. To be safe I ripped out that area of my beauty blender and watched over it to see if anything else would develop. So far, it's fine. But I'm just not sure if it's worth all of this.

Last but not least, the price is goddamn ridiculous. It's a sponge, if the price was *maybe* $15 CAD I wouldn't be so hesitant to use it and repurchase it. Alas, this sponge is a whopping $28 CAD. I do think the producers of this sponge went down the wrong road. Of course it's a money maker and popular but I know many people who have never repurchased it because of the insane price every 3 months for such a simplistic object. If they had kept the price honest and advertised this as an intelligent alternative to a makeup brush more people would come back to it. Why would I buy this when my makeup brushes can last a lifetime? All I see is a hassle that is more expensive, sucks up product, an annoying process to use, a health concern, and overpriced sponge.

Overhyped, and I have been let down in a majority of ways. It's not the worst thing out there, but it's not worth what it does. I'm going to try the Real Techniques Sponge just for curiosities sake but if that doesn't work out I'm pretty much done with sponges in my makeup routine.

on 11/12/2015 8:15:00 AM

When I first heard about the beauty blender I said that there was no way I'd pay $20 for a freaking makeup sponge. I happily ignored the beauty blender for several years. Then I got curious, and I saw all the hype. I still didn't really understand how the sponge didn't just soak up liquid foundation, or how a damp sponge wouldn't leave a streaky finish.

I finally took the plunge, and I am SUCH a convert. I love this little sponge. It makes my foundation look flawless and absolutely amazing. Thus far I have used this pretty much only for liquid foundation. I know it's supposed to be good for concealers and powder foundations too, but I don't really wear those. I did use this to try and blend the mascara streaks on my cheeks when I went as Tonya Harding for Halloween, but that's not really normal usage. ANYWAY, when I got my beauty blender I still wasn't entirely sure how the thing worked. I watched the online instructions on Sephora's website, and I followed them, and once I started the whole method of using this sponge felt totally natural, even though I had always applied foundation with my fingers before.

As for cleanup, I clean my beauty blender after each use, and I use a simple bar of castille soap to clean it. I just rub the sponge on the soap, work up a lather, and rinse out. It works well, only takes a few seconds, and then my sponge is always clean. Yes, some of the pink dye does rinse out when you clean it. If you don't want to deal with that I recommend the white one.

While the $20 price tag is still undeniably steep I don't see myself trying the cheaper knock-offs I always see at Marshall's. I'm just so happy with how this works, I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I was a bit hesitant before buying this, because this little thing is expensive! However I decided to buy it, and honestly I don't regret it: I don't usually wear foundation on a daily basis, but when I do it looks flawless. I use my beauty blender every day to blend my concealer (I have really dark circles so I never go out without concealer on) and to powder. This sponge just makes everything look perfect and makes my routine easier because I can't apply too much concealer or powder of I use the beautyblender. Definitely worth the price!

on 10/18/2015 4:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I've owned BBs for over the past five years and I don't know what it is that truly makes this tool amazing, but it is just that. I clean mine before every use (would probably clean better if I did so AFTER each use), squeeze it into a towel to remove the bulk of the moisture, however, leaving it still damp. This is the best way this works for me. I use it with mineral makeup (powdered version), CC creams, and tinted moisturizers, setting/finishing powder, eye makeup to include powdered shadows, and even brow powder. The technique I use is bouncing without really lifting the BB off of the face, just a low bouncing. I never rub the BB. It appears to make my makeup melt with the skin, removes lines of demarcation both with my foundations and even eye makeup. Removes the 'powdered' appearance on my skin, too. To compare, I went back and used the standard triangle squares sponges, but there just is no comparison. I was a huge skeptic, but I fell in love at first bounce! I use the pointed end to better blend my under eye concealer with my powdered Laura Mercier Brightening Powder, still using the same bouncing technique. These really last when taken care of. I've never had any issues with mine having odors, or breaking down, or bugs making a nest (saw an article about this). I clean mine with either a gel facial cleanser or baby shampoo. If you're on the fence I strongly suggest trying one out. Save your receipt and return it if you aren't happy...but I bet you'll be very happy!

on 9/15/2015 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have been interested in this sponge since the very first day I saw it on one of the many youtube videos it is presented in. I just loved how it worked for other girls. It didn't disappoint me when I purchased it myself. I absolutely love the way my foundation looks when applied with it. It is better than using a brush in my opinion and it's also so much more fun! I recommed this product.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will never apply makeup without this. I've always used my fingers and I've tried to use brushes but I didn't really like it as much.

Over the winter I was struggling with some really stubborn dry skin and my makeup looked awful every day no matter what. A rep at Sephora recommended this and I winced at the price, she used it to apply some foundation to my face and it looked AMAZING. I didn't think such a soft, airbrushed finish was possible for me, and it did seem to prevent the foundation from sticking to my dry patches.

So of course I bought it and I haven't looked back once since then. Can't live without it, don't ever want to apply my foundation any other way.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I resisted buying this for quite some time, but I am very pleased now that I have given in. The finish on my concealer and foundation is fantastic, and far better than anything I have achieved with brushes or fingers.

I use it damp, as instructed, but I sometimes still find it absorbs a bit more of my makeup than I would like. But, I will continue to use this.

on 8/4/2015 7:53:00 PM

HOLY GRAIL!!!!!! This product is my definition of holy grail. I will use this and rebuy the rest of my life. The blender makes putting on liquid foundation so easy and effortless and I look airbrushed. My makeup is perfectly blended, no streaks or patches. It helps hydrate more.

Yes, it's 20 dollars. But for something that lasts 3-4 months and is literally a life changer, it's worth it. Also, it's way more hygienic than a brush, bc you can easily wash it after every use in under 60 seconds. And you don't have to wait the 2 days for it to dry like you would a brush. Also, for the whole mold myth... The ONLY way it will get mold is if you never wash it or you wash it and store it in a plastic bag or container. If you're blender gets mold than it's something YOURE doing wrong bc if it's washed after every use and put out in the open to dry then it wouldn't ever get mold. That's what the stand is for that it comes with. Put it on the stand when it's drying.

If this product doesn't change your life... You're using it wrong

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

At first I was hesitant to buy the beauty blender! I had heard so many great reviews on the product but I couldn't help but feel the price tag was a little steep for what seemed to be an average makeup sponge. I had tried the Sonia Kashuk version of this product first and it remained in my beauty drawer unused. Finally, I bit the bullet and bought the real deal and let me tell you, it is by far the best decision I've made when it comes to makeup. I now own several! This sponge is unlike any other in its' texture. It can be used dry or damp, although I prefer to use mine dampened. This sponge blends makeup like no other, even my heaviest and notoriously cakey foundations like the Revlon Colorstay or my Tart Amazonian Clay Foundation blend out like a dream for a natural finish. I use this product to apply all foundations and concealers, I've also heard it works great with cream blushes as well. This sponge is incredibly unique and makes all of my face products perform to the best of their ability. If you are looking for flawless airbrushed skin look no further!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools