beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

Here's the thing, I had really high expectations for this makeup sponge and lo I was disappointed. First of all, I have a hard time paying $20 for a freakin' sponge to start. I figure for that price it better be amazing and last forever, yet you're supposed to replace it every few months? If it's that amazing, sure. The problem? It wasn't. As far as I could tell it was just a sponge. I felt like it ate my product and left me with a super sheer coverage no matter what I did. It looked dirty no matter how much I cleaned it, and it just wasn't good.
My advice? Invest in a good foundation brush. I think mine was $25 from urban decay and it'll last a heck of a lot longer, and it does what I need/want. Don't waste your money.

on 2/20/2016 7:16:00 PM

I did NOT want to give in to the hype and now I'm giving this a grudging 5/5. A sponge? Why would I want to use a sponge when handmade Japanese brushes exist? Well, I wish I'd found this years ago. This is so gentle and blends my makeup so quickly in the mornings on my sensitive, sometimes flaky skin that I have more time for other luxuries, like curling my eyelashes or grabbing a coffee before work. It makes even thick, high coverage, totally un-natural looking foundations like ELDW Light look like a second skin. Even a 5 year old could blend foundation perfectly with this. Winner.

My HG way to put on foundation and I'll never switch! I've tried many brushes but none make my face look flawless like this does

on 2/5/2016 1:18:00 AM

I didn't believe the hype for these for many years. Not sure what made me change my mind and buy one, but I am glad I did. Loved it so much I bought them for my mom and sister soon after. Had tried generic makeup sponges before (but always dry -- never damp). The damp sponge is key (maybe more generic sponges would have worked better for me if they were damp). Especially love using this with my NARS tinted moisturizer (a product that I had pretty much given up on because I couldn't blend it well with just my fingers/regular makeup brushes).

on 2/3/2016 6:53:00 PM

I really never considered a sponge up until recently. I started getting insanely dry skin, and flakes were abundant in the worst of places. If you are like me, then you know how hard it is to make your foundation look good no matter what.

After doing some research I decided to buy it and it is changing my life. Regular brushes would irritate and make my flakey skin show up more. With the blender, I'm patting the dry skin down and has drastically minimized the look of my dry spots.

I personally don't mind the price, since I've paid upwards of $40 on a single brush. A $20 sponge that makes your foundation work better is priceless to me.

The only downside is I can't seem to get it as clean as I want, I might try and buy the soap for it. It's also hard to travel with, considering it takes all day to dry.

on 1/25/2016 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I used different sponges for makeup application. Finally I decided to buy a beauty blender at the fall Sephora 20% off event. Just forget the other sponges, this one outperforms them. It gives you such an even application of makeup. There are no streak, just your airbrushed skin. I know some people comment that they use more product. I am not sure why. I first apply foundation with my fingers, don't worry about making it even at this point. Then I take a damp beauty blender and go over it. Then I take some setting powder and go over again. My face is done perfectly. I wash my bb right away using mild soap that I use to wash my hands with. No need to rub, just apply soap and don't dig into it. If stains bother you, take some oil and apply, then use the same soap. It comes very clean. It is a pricey item but it is very worth it if you want perfect makeup application. I cannot go back to do my foundation with a brush.

on 1/18/2016 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Honestly, I REALLY wish MUA had "Maybe" as a choice if purchasing again. I really AM on the fence with Beauty Blender.

First the good. This sponge does a remarkable job in blending foundation. Better than brushes and in most cases better than fingers. On my "mature" skin, it's all about the blend.

Next, the not-so-good: For the price point, I think this is way overpriced. I will spend quite a bit of money on great products, but for the wear and tear this little sponge goes through, it IS rather pricey.
When I first purchased, I had to wash it seeming forever because pink dye kept running. I don't want that on my face.
It gets dirty quickly. I have to wash it every day--perhaps it is the OCD in me, but the soap that came with this sponge is wearing down quickly and I'm going to try to find a DIY cleaning solution for this.
The life of the sponge isn't really that long. I purchased in the fall. It has tears already. I think it may be from my fingernails digging into it when I'm washing it.
The soap that coordinates with Beauty Blender also has a slight lavender scent. If you are allergic to lavender beware. I'm allergic and have to wash it a second time with regular soap to get the lavender scent out of it. Just a heads up!

I really am on the fence with this. While it blends beautifully, I'm sure there is a dupe out there for less money that may be stronger and work just as well. Depending on how long this sponge lasts before falling apart totally, I'm really unsure if I will re-purchase. I ended up saying "no"--but I'm truly unsure.

on 12/28/2015 6:22:00 PM

FINALLY bought into the hype and was ready to be disappointed as I couldn't see how it could possibly be as good as everyone says it is.

BEST DECISION EVER.

Gave - surprisingly - incredible coverage with just my standard foundation and some concealer - a feat. considering my severe scarring and hyper-pigmentation.

Great with liquid foundation, powders, concealer, highlighter, everything.

I though other sponges I'd used were amazing but this makes them all look crap.

It may be expensive but given it replaces my 7 other brushes and 2 sponges I used to use regularly (which came to a total of way over £100) it's value for money. Additionally it made my £10 drugstore foundation and £7.50 concealer look like high-end products without me having to splash out on them.

Worth every penny in my eyes.

I didn't "get" the beauty blender for a long time - why would you spend $20 on a sponge when you can get the same one at Shoppers for a few dollars? But last Christmas, I had a Sephora giftcard and there was a double pack for cheap - I figured I may as well check out one of the most popular beauty products of all time.

And I'm SO glad I did.

Other sponges simply don't compare. When used correctly, this makes my foundation coverage look flawless and natural, even when I've applied several layers. Moreover, my skin has become a lot clearer since I started using it (probably because it's easy to give this a quick spray of cleanser everytime you use it).

Yes, this product is way too expensive for what it is, but with how great it makes my face look, it's a cost I can justify.

This is great for my Bobbi Brown BB cream, looks like a "better version" of my skin, because you can still see the skin under the bb cream.I hate foundations because of the "mask effect" so I love it because it makes me look so natural. I used to use my fingers but you can't comparet, this delivers far better results and the application is easier and less messy. Would definately buy again.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools