beautyblender the sponge

Filtered by age: 25-29
beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

I'm in two minds about this product as it is great but it is SO expensive, I got another sponge when I was on holiday in South Africa, just from a generic pharmacy for a quarter of the cost and it works about the same and you don't constantly need to wet it (which becomes a bit of annoying chore as it constantly needs cleaning), I feel as though this product is a bit of a con, it's just sponge at the end of the day, how much can it cost to produce? It didn't really last very long either, after about 2 months it broke apart at the bottom, which i think was due to the constant cleaning. But it does give great coverage so if you can afford it. Try it. But IMO best testing cheaper alternatives first.

I was very surprised and almost disappointed in the size when I saw the sponge at Sephora. Inside the packaging box, it is a very small pink egg shaped sponge. The texture of the sponge is very soft which may be why it tears apart easily when I wring out the soap and water when I'm cleaning my sponge. When wet, it expands 2-3 times its size. It leaves a very natural coverage but when using this sponge with my Estee lauder double wear foundation, it gives me a light coverage. When I use a stippling brush with my foundation, I get better coverage (medium coverage) and the brush doesn't consume so much foundation. The sponge uses up more products and doesn't distribute much onto my face. Bummer. Will not repurchase.

No brush, no matter how expensive, has ever made my makeup look as flawless as this sponge. It blends perfectly, cleans easily, dries quickly, and feels like velvet kisses when applying. I know the price tag has most of us weary of purchasing this, but the outcome is well worth it. I use this to apply my Mac Prep & Prime Highlighter in Light Boost under my eyes for that ultimate Kim K highlight. (Just a small note: the first time my sister and I washed our BB's, the pink dye ran a little bit which has me thinking I should switch to the new white version which contains no dye at all. This is the only reason I couldn't give it a 5.)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've tried nearly every single dupe of this sponge in the effort of "saving money" and not purchasing the original BB. I have subsequently wasted much more than the $25 it cost me from drugstore.com to purchase 2 of them (not affiliated, but $12.50 per BB is why I bothered to begin with, so it's worth a mention IMO.)

Sonia Kashuk (both her initial blue version, followed by the purple one,) failed me miserably. I think I ended up with two of those, each...they were not "cheap" either--$8 a pop, and they all cracked quite quickly, and consumed alt of product. I experienced the same results with ulta, walgreen's (I believe their name brand is SOHO,) pixiwoo's real techniques line (love the brushes though!)....i won't go on. I'm on mobile.

The OG sponge does as it's supposed to, and both--BOTH--of mine have lasted through the ages. No cracking. They blend, and do not absorb too much product. But most importantly--they have not cracked...and that's two years of use. And abuse. (I'm a bit of an abuser to my stuff...I'm working on that.)

Buy the original. You will spend more trying to save your money

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Pros:

- I love how it feels to put my makeup on with this, it makes my face feel moisturized and my face looks beautiful!
- Gentle, flexible, soft
- Easy to use

Cons:
- It is just too expensive. I have started using the Real Techniques sponges and I LOVE THEM. They are a quarter of the price and are the same consistency and softness. In fact, the real techniques one have a "egg" side for under eyes and a flat side for patting foundation on your cheeks and forehead. The BB is just too expensive to repurchase since finding the RT ones.

- It does soak up a little product

- Honestly the best way to preserve it is to buy the beauty bender solid cleaner to clean it with, which means more money spent.

Don't get me wrong, I love my beauty blender, but will purchase the RT ones instead in the future.

on 12/31/2013 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I asked my sister to buy this for me for Christmas. I have been intrigued by this product for years, but could never fork over the $20 to buy it. Seems like such a waste for what it was....a pink sponge. I could buy a whole bag of cosmetic sponges for $6 at Sallys. Why did I need this sponge?

The answer is I really didn't. It performs well and I like that it is reusable, but its really no better than a nice cosmetic wedge sponge. I mean don't get me wrong...I like it. I'm glad I got to try it, but am I addicted...no. Foundation goes on nicely, but my foundation doesn't seem to last as long when I use the sponge. It looks wonderful for a few hours and then the foundation seems to disintegrate faster than normal.

The sponge itself is well made and seems like it will last awhile. It does get stained with foundation and it looks sort of gross afterwards, but it is a sponge so those sorts of things will happen. It is relatively easy to clean. I heard that shaving soap works well to clean them and I'm going to try that because I don't want to buy the beautyblender cleansers as they are expensive.

The sponge does have pink dye that washes away when you squeeze it, but I have not noted any transferring of pink to my face. I know some people have expressed concerns about that, but believe me I think it is just a false worry.

All in all I would give the product a 3.5. I debated giving it a 4, but didn't because I reserve 4 and 5 for products I'm completely enamored with. I haven't fallen in love with this "magical" sponge, but I will update you if I do.

on 12/25/2013 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Anybody that trues to persuade you into buying a cheap sponge or a dupe and claims that it works just as good as the original BeautyBlender is either a peddler or has never tried the original!!! No other sponge compares to this one. Not the Sonia Kashuk one, the SOHO NY one nor the ones you get at discount stores like Marshalls or Ross! Buy the original. Its pricey but its worth it.

It makes cream and liquid foundation application easier and blendable. With proper use it creates a seamless, flawless, full coverage look. Ive also used it to set my makeup with MSF or BEN NYE powders when i ran out of wedge sponges.

Make sure you use it dampened, not wet. This sponge is reusable so I suggest you invest in the cleanser as well. If youre a Pro Makeup Artist, i dont recommend buying the pink one. Even when its clean it looks stained and that can look really unprofessional.

I personally love this sponge. I will run through a fire to get another one!

on 12/17/2013 12:21:00 AM

If you are ever in doubt wether to buy this original or a copy, BUY THE ORIGINAL!! Copies cannot even begin to compare to the original beautyblender. I´ve tried copies, and assumed that the original would be the same (they do look pretty similar, I was sure they would do the same job). I didn´t think I would try the original because I assumed that I just didn´t like applying my foundation with sponges. But boy was I wrong. This sponge is amazing, and gives you a finish I only dreamt of before. I keep it under water and sqeeze it as dry as I can before using it, I find that it gives the best results. I also switch between using this and the Sigma F80 as I love both and it just depends on what is my preference that day.

I only use baby shampoo to cleanse it after use, but I am considering purchasing a proper cleansing product as it doesn´t wash away the stains from my MAC pro longwear foundation. Not that it really matters, I just like the clean pink look of it.

I will definitely repurchase!

on 12/13/2013 2:19:00 PM

I love my beautyblender!!!! I have been using it for about 2+ years. And this is my 3rd beauty blender.. its easy to clean. I actually just use baby shampoo or anti bacterial soap... and its soooooo soft when damp. and it makes blending concealer and foundation easy and natural looking. Love my BB!!!

HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT!!!
I used to apply my foundation with the sephora brushes or real techniques buffing brush.... BUT no more!!
I love this beauty blender sponge! I just get my sponge damp, pump some foundation on it and dot it around my face and started pouncing the beauty blender all over my face and neck. This makes my makeup look like it was airbrushed on. I've never seen my face look so photoshopped lol I know the price is pretty steep for 1 sponge ($30+tax CDN) but its worth it. Also sephora online has some great beauty blender set deals sometimes.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools