beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 6/17/2013 10:39:00 AM

The only reason I really didn't give this a 4/5 for overall rating is that I hate having to clean it so often. I never thought I would love a sponge applicator for my foundation, but this has really impressed me. The texture is silky smooth, and blends very nicely and does not absorb so much of the product like I would have imagined a sponge would. I normally use MAC #187 or Sephora's pro airbrush #55 to apply my foundation (MAC SFF or MAC Matchmaster) but I found that the beautyblender cuts down the time of application. I wouldn't say it applies BETTER than the #187 or Sephora #55, but it is JUST as good which I think is a lot considering it's a sponge. I dab on the foundation with my fingertip on my face first, then blend it out by lightly dabbing it with the beauty blender. Then I apply my concealer with my fingertip, and blend that out using the smaller pointed end (under eye, around the nose/mouth). I have to say, I am very thoroughly impressed and will definitely be purchasing it again.

So I gave the product 5 stars because it is a wonderful tool. It does exactly what it claims.
However, I will probably never buy another one again just because how fast it rips apart! I splurged twice on this beauty blender and non of them lasted for more than a month. At that price range I just think there are better alternatives. Stick with foundation brushes!

on 5/6/2013 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh how I wanted to love this. But I'm sorry to say I can't stand this product. For me, it's awkward to work it, it absorbs a huge deal of makeup (even though I do use the sponge wet), and the worst part is that if you have any concealer on beforehand, this sponge will completely remove it with one pass. Seriously?!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Wow. Makeup noobs like me: this is perfection. My makeup blends perfectly with this little sponge. When I was on Accutane this was so so useful as you add water and make up blends seamlessly into skin. Even with less dry skin, perfect. The things that are annoying about this product are cleaning (I use the special cleaner, the whole process feels expensive) and I had to replace mine after about 6 months because it does wear out. It's also pretty pricey on the face of it but I think it's worth every penny!

Pros:
- blends like a dream
- easy to use
- easy to clean
- lasts forever
- multi purpose

Cons:
- pricey for an sponge
- stains with foundation & loses the lovely pink pop colour
- have to go to the washroom and damp it with every use

I use this for my foundation and even if I use a brush for my foundation, I will use to this to smooth it to make sure it is not cakey/ heavy. Can be used for concealer, foundation, highlighter/ any cream product that needs blending. <3 I have 3 of them and i absolutely adore them. Make sure you store in open space where it is given a chance to dry and prevent bacteria build up. Frequent washing is alway recommended. Got my for the best price at Cherry Culture.

on 4/16/2013 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you walk by this pink little guy all the time in Sephora and think to yourself "why the heck would I pay that much for a sponge, what's it got that one for the drug store doesn't?" Well, you've been missing out! And shame on you. However, I have to admit, I was one of those - for awhile - and suffering from terrible liquid foundation application. Until I finally purchased it after many walk-bys and reading wonderful reviews on here, and watching tutorials online. Honestly, I had no idea what all the fuss was about? It's a brightly coloured sponge - so what? Well, it's honestly the best applicator I have ever used. Better than brushes, my fingers and any other type or brand of sponge on the market. It makes applying SO easy and fast. Leaves a flawless finish. It's a breeze to clean. And I just store it in the container it came in, which is great! Stop walking by this, and purchase! Trust me. You won't be disappointed! And will wish you had of bought it a long time ago!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

the sponge is great at applying a flawless foundation look, but it made me break out something fierce ALL over my face when I'm only acne prone around my nose and chin. It's a breeding ground for bacteria if you don't clean it and immediately dry it EVERYDAY after EVERY application. I stopped using it and immediately my face cleared up. I've read that mold and bacteria grows on it while it's wet and here I am, pushing it into my face. Big mistake! I'm disappointed I wasted my money, but because it DOES apply a flawless makeup application, I will save it for Halloween when it's a one time use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I finally decided to give this sponge a try since after applying face makeup I found that there's unevenness and caked spots on my face. The makers of the product instructs you to wet the sponge with tap water until it expand and then squeeze out the water. You can either apply the liquid foundation or BB cream (I use Marcelle BB medium to dark as my foundation) on to your face first or on the sponge. The technique is to dab it all over your face as and this effect will leave you with "airbrushed" look. After I've applied my BB cream, it left a dewy feel on my face. I wait a couple of minutes before it sets or dry and then I apply my physician's formula face powder. This just helps with shine control and gives me a matte finish in the end.

I purchased this product on amazon.com for $25+ free shipping. It also came with the beauty blender cleanser which was great because I wash my beauty blender after each use. When washing your sponge take extra caution and be gentle when scrubbing because the sponge can easily tear. That's what happened to my sponge =( Overall amazing product and will repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the people who report being disappointed with the beauty blender. I had been wanting to try it for a long time, but avoided it because of the price. I finally (regretably) went for it thanks to a pushy sales girl and am pretty unimpressed.

I got the Beauty Blender pure and have been washing it after each use with Dr. Bronners soaps, but it is impossible to get completely clean. I also feel that using the Beauty Blender is a huge waste of water. You are supposed to soak it and squeeze out water before applying foundation and then it requires several "sponge-fulls" to clean it (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have had it for less than 2 weeks and only used it sporadically, but it is already starting to fray. I have not been particualrly aggressive with it. I don't understand how everyone can claim these things are easy to clean and last several months. I take care of my things, but this one already looks like it could be replaced.

I will say that with the beauty blender I can apply foundation much more quickly than with a brush. So, if you don't immediately wash it it could be a time saver. (Although, it's probably not faster than using your hands). I like the idea of the shape of the blender, but for me the pointed top part is still a little too large to be able to reach the smaller areas of my face easily. I will say I got a compliment on my make up the very first time I used it (but I'm never really sure getting a compliment on your foundation IS a compliment because wouldn't the best compliment just be being told you look great rather than your make up looking great but I digress...).

I do feel like doing the put foundation on the back of your hand and dab method wastes foundation. A lot of the foundation ends up getting soaked into the sponge.

All in all, I guess I'm glad I tried it since I would always wonder but for $20 it is absolutely not worth it. In all honesty, I wish I could return it.

Summary List:

Pros
-Can apply foundation quickly
-The rounded shape makes blending easy and the pointed shape may be easier to use for other people
-Does provide even coverage

Cons
-Price
-Wasteful (of water, of foundation, of plastic, of time, of money...)
-Difficult to clean
-Starting to fray after 2 weeks

on 3/7/2013 4:06:00 AM

Add me to the long list of Beauty Blender fans. While I don't think it is quite as amazing as everyone makes it out to be, it's a very handy product and has multiple uses. Great for picking up the excess when you accidentally apply too much blush, perfect for applying cream blush, smooths out foundation really well and gives that airbrushed look. It holds up pretty well too, mine last quite a few months before they even look like they need to be replaced. The Blender Cleanser is good too, I use it to clean my brushes as well as the BB sponge.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools