beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 11/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me say that this is a really great makeup sponge. It applies my liquid foundations evenly and flawlessly such that my pores don't look as big as usual.

All girls with big pores need a sponge like this. I say a sponge like this, and not this sponge, because the Real Techniques sponge can do a very similar job for a fraction of the price.

How does this sponge compare to the RT? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, the RT sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB.

Don't get me wrong. The BB is a FABULOUS sponge. If you can shell out $30 every 2-3 months, then by all means, do, you won't regret getting this. Get the micro mini BBs at the same time too, because under eye and nose cleavage application with this is really trying. But if you want a cost effective option that does 95% the same thing in one product, RT is the sponge for you.

Would I repurchase? This is hard. I would, probably, when it's on sale, but I doubt I would pay full price for this again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There will always be controversy over this because of the price; a lot of people cannot rationalize spending $20+ on a sponge, and I definitely sympathize with that line of thinking, but this is one of those times I had to just swallow hard and bite the bullet.

After all, we have no problem spending that kind of money on a makeup brush, or a lipstick, and those might not even get as much daily use as this does. I am not sure how well these hold up on a long-term basis; I have had mine for about a month and it is still in perfect condition. Before this I was using the NYX blender which is cheaper and I can recommend to you, but this blender is a bit softer and bouncier.

If you're looking for the ultimate makeup tool that will simplify your routine and take foundation/concealer/contour application to the next level, this is the final frontier. I can't even tell you how much better and smoother everything looks since I threw this in the mix. I even use this to pick up powder and "bake" my undereye, forehead and Cupid's bow areas. It goes without saying, if you want the most bang for your buck, this must be used dampened.

So, that's that. I spent $20 on a freaking sponge and it was maybe the best beauty decision I've made in a decade. It's one of those things you really have to just experience for yourself, but it gets my vote.

Yes it is a convenient tool to have but I probably wouldn't repurchase again, because I have done a comparisons between this and just using clean fingers the results are the same if not better. With fingers you can even get more control and less products to apply foundation or other cream products. So I wouldn't say it's a essential product especially for the price tag.

on 9/18/2016 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I had the Shiseido sponge for a while and I liked it better. I felt like it was soaking up less product, and that it was blending it smoother than the Beauty Blender. However, this sponge is still nice. It blends products flawlessly and it gives a beautiful finish. I'm kind of on the fence for this product. It's soaking up too much product to be a holy grail for me, even if I soak it up with water first.

on 9/14/2016 10:13:00 PM

OMG BEAUTY BLENDER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE

After years of watching YT beauty gurus use their BBs and never really being able to get a hold of one in the UK. I saw one about 3 months in Boots (UK) and I had to have her then and there. It was about £15 and worth every penny.

I thought I was happy with my RT sponge, I wasn't. Beauty Blender has kicked the rt sponge into my work makeup bag.

BB applies even bad foundations well. I clean it about once a week and it still is coming out clean.

HG

For a few years I was fine using my RT sponge, and I liked it, thinking "ain't gonna spend twice as much on a prettier one!". But eventually my curiosity (and love for pink) won. So did the beauty blender when I compared both.
I especially love the shape- the RT one doesn't have that sharp pointed tip that turned out to be a godsend for me! I apply my foundation not holding the tip, but with the side of the sponge. It makes it so easy to reach every part of my face, esp the inner corner of my eyes (I have deep set eyes and RT sponge' tip was not "pointy" enough). I also feel like it soaks up less product.
Obviously ever since I started using makeup sponges I cannot apply foundation with my fingers anymore- the BB gives such a seamless finish its addicting!
I've recommended it to my mom and she prefers it over RT sponge too! Give it a try- I don't think you'll be disappointed!

on 7/2/2016 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So I finally caved in and bought this after having gone through several RT sponges.
And I don't love it.
It is a lot firmer than the RT sponge imo and also smaller. I felt it works nicely for my cream concealer and the point side gets into my eye area better than the RT sponge, but i usually use a brush which I LOVE (thank you zoeva concealer buffer!!!!) for that.
I use a spong mainly for mu application and this was just so...meh. It was okayish but not for the price tag and the hype. It gave me quite a thick finish which I do not like. The RT sponge gives me a so much lighter and even finish looking so much more natural.

I'm almost thinking about returning this. Why bother with it when there's a SO MUCH CHEAPER and better sponge out there?

I really wanted to love this but maybe my expectations were too high because I had already found the right product for me.

I might get the tiny BB though and see if that'll be nice for undereye and around the nose concealer.

on 4/21/2016 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I've had this with the solid cleanser for quite long now. And honestly I never knew how I managed without the original one for so long. I used to buy their dupes, mainly because they didn't sell this in finland until some months ago. I came across the set for 16€ and thought instantly that it was such a good deal. I need to wash this rather regularly to keep it from getting stained. Maybe it does sheer out my foundation somewhat but it keeps it matte and stays longer and beautifully blended. Sometimes when I'm bored I switch to real techniques expert brush, but 99% of the time that I apply foundation I always use this. Super easy application. My 1yo toddler can only allow me to have a minute routine. Saves me some time before preparing his breakfast and outing.

on 4/18/2016 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I just feel like it makes my foundation sit on top of my skin making it look cakey and heavy. Application takes a long time too. Also really not happy with how much it sheers out foundation/concealer...really dont get why people love this so much.

on 4/12/2016 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was hard for me to purchase as I couldn't justify spending $20 on a sponge, so I originally bought a dupe, which I quite liked. However, the original beauty blender is amazing. It really does make foundation look more natural, it doesn't leave any lines like a brush sometimes does. It is awesome for blending out concealer! It does apply liquid foundation quite sheerly but you can definitely build with it. The one thing that does irk me...is I do reckon you use more product with it. But, I would happily sacrifice a little bit more product to for a flawless base ;) also makes applying foundation super quick, just dab dab dab done. And it is good for applying powder if you want a bit more coverage. Yep, would buy again.

EDIT: it grew MOLD!! Even after keeping it clean, I think maybe I didn't air it very well at times, a bit of a shame.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools