beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first saw this product I really wanted to try it but just started using liquid foundation and didn't want to splurge on these sponges. I eventually received it as a birthday gift from a friend and fell in love with them. The sponge applies makeup smoothly and very naturally. I don't like a makeup-y look or feel so this, combined with the foundation I choose to use, is perfect for the natural look I want while providing good coverage. The sponge is supposed to be used damp so this may have something to do with the ease of application. I know that some have said that it does the same as a good brush that doesn't need replaced as often, but I think it works faster (even if you do clean it with every application) and you have more control than with a foundation brush. To save money, I suggest purchasing the 2-pack of sponges for only $6 more.

I also received the cleanser with my sponges, which can be purchased with the sponge(s) as a set or separately. I like the cleanser and cleaning the sponge definitely prolongs the life of it but the cleanser is really, absurdly expensive...I even purchased another bottle after my gift ran out and will stand by my opinion. My Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser works just as well and I can use it on my face (unlike the blendercleanser). I wouldn't use just any cleanser and definitely not a scrub but that one works well--for makeup brushes too :)

I do want to point out that my main reason for locating a new sponge cleanser to use is that the blendercleanser contains vegetable-based cleansing agents and while it is not applied directly to the face and it is rinsed from the sponge, I didn't want to take any chances since I break out easy enough without added help from anything vegetable-based. That, in addition to the steep price tag, led to my experimentation with the gentle facial cleanser.

on 12/15/2009 6:45:00 PM

The bomb! I love this sponge. I normally use my fingers or MAC's 187 brush to stipple on liquid foundation. With this sponge I literally use less than 1/2 the product I used to with the same coverage. The only downside is that I have to wash the sponge after every use, but I do the same with the 187 brush anyway. If you didnt pick up with cleanser, you can use Phil purity foam cleanser b/c it gets all the makeup out of the sponge.

Before I picked up the BB, I purchased the Sonia Kashuk purple face sponge and I like that sponge too but that dense sponge is no comparison to the light soft feel of the BB. Follow the tips, wet the sponge first and squeeze it out on a dry towel then apply foundation. Works like a charm

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I love this sponge - it helps my liquid foundation blend seamslessly into my skin. (Skin background: I'm in my late 20's - no wrinkles yet. A few large pores, some dry patches.) I've tried lots of other sponges/brushes, and this is seriously the best tool for applying foundation if you love a natural look. I dampen the sponge a bit, and it works better for me that way. I had an SA tell me once that you should never dampen a sponge b/c it will dry the foundation out on your skin - but it seems to work really well for me!

on 5/14/2009 2:36:00 PM

I have two of these because I wash this everyday and takes more than a day for it to completely dry. I have to alternate between the two. I use this when I'm in a hurry if I have some time I use a MAC 187 brush. This works wonders for me which is great as I have paid quite a few bucks for a makeup sponge. This blends my foundation beautifully, settles my concealer, and great for applying cream blushes as well. One sponge will last me about 3 months and then it starts to rip here and there, breaks down and I have to return the old one (the company will recycle as the package states). I see no streaks or spots when I apply my foundation with this sponge. You just have to give it a try and compare it to any old sponges. You will see the difference (a big difference) immediately!

on 5/6/2009 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am very happy with my beautyblender. I was skeptical when I first used it, but it does indeed work. I first used it with my Merle Norman foundation that I never wear because I can't get it on evenly without streaking. Well, I used the beautyblender, and it looked great (even though I still hate the MN foundation). It works great with foundation, concealer, and cream blushes. I have also used it for powders!! I love it!! I think it is worth the price. I don't know how long it will last though, so I'll update after a while!

on 3/1/2009 9:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Was skeptical of this, but went out on a limb with some birthday money...I LOVE this sponge! I don't know how I've lived without it! I have acne-scarred skin and I've had to pile on foundation to cover up. With the beautyblender, I use less foundation and my skin is flawless! I even had a coworker tell me my skin looks like velvet! I dot foundation on my face and "pounce" the beautyblender to blend. I've been using shampoo to wash the beautyblender and it works just fine.

on 5/30/2008 9:18:00 PM

I really wanted to like this and hoped I would change my mind about it. That's why I've waited 5 months to write a review. It does a very good job of applying a light, seamless layer of foundation, but the inconvenience of the sponge outweighs its good points, IMO.

First, my bathroom is tiny and has very poor lighting, so I do my m/u at a lighted mirror in my bedroom where there is no sink. The need to rinse the sponge before and after using it is just too impractical for me. I know that most people don't have this situation, but it's something to consider before buying.

Another problem is that the blender must be cleaned thoroughly after each use. I'm always in a hurry when I do my m/u in the morning and I think washing the blender takes longer than actually using it to apply my foundation.

For the price, I expect something more user friendly. I take out the Beauty Blender only for special occasions and probably will not repurchase when mine wears out.

I am extremely pleased with this sponge! It's very easy to use, soft and gives that flawless no-makeup look when applying foundation. I tried it with tinted moisturizer (Stila TM & Clinique TM), liquid foundation (Estee Lauder DoubleWear Light & Clarins Truly Matte Foundation), and powder foundation (Diorskin Forever Compact Foundation SPF 25), and all three looked great and flawless. I'm very pleased. I still have to try it with cream as well as powder blush. I haven't tried it with concealer yet, cause it seems too big for the eye area...but I'm definitely curious to try. Plus, it's quite easy to clean with their cleanser. Highly recommanded.
EDIT: I've reduced my use of it because it's a hassle to wash it every single time, after every single application, especially if I'm on the move. I've found an equivalent and that's MAC 187 and MAC 188 brushes (they're fantastic by the way). But, otherwise, it's still an excellent sponge and I definitly use it when I'm going for a really natural seemless look.

on 12/11/2007 6:42:00 AM

i love the beautyblender! i use laura mercier tinted moisturizer, and sometimes shiseido cream foundation and both apply flawlessly with the beautyblender. when i first purchased it i tested it out on my skin with too-dark foundation just to see its coverage and it worked like a charm. no streaks or lines. i also use the beautyblender to apply blush/bronzer after my foundation and it works like a charm. concealer as well. what a winning product!

on 11/18/2007 12:12:00 AM

I love this little sponge! It is a great makeup applicator and/or blender.

I use this sponge mainly for foundations. I have done a half and half test of my foundations (a liquid and a cream) compared to my usual application methods with brush or flat sponge. In all instances, the beautyblender gave a more even, more natural looking finish. It really reduced the "overdone" or fake skin look you can get if you use too much foundation.

It also allows better precision control over areas that need special coverage such as under eyes, corners of the nose, blemishes, etc. With this my concealer is needed less and what i do use, looks better.

It is quite easy to use, and feels good in the hand. It is also easy to clean, i just use regular shampoo.

I think it is cute and leave it out on my bathroom counter for all my friends too marvel at. My boyfriend is particularly intrigued and perplexed by the necessity of a pink egg sponge. I loved the look on his face when he first saw it.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools