Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera GellyEnter TitleLily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

4.6

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lactobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Glucose Oxidase and Lactoperioxidase (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

on 2/23/2010 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I use this as sleeping mask...that's right I add

1) 1~2 drop of tea tree and good amount of aloe very gelly
OR
2) moisturisure (any) and good amount of aloe very gelly

I do it 2~3 times per week and my skin feels softer and moisturized when I get up.
The reason for adding oil or moisturisure is that so it wouldn't dry out too fast.
I alternate between two options b/c you shouldn't really use one product over too many period of time - such as tea tree oil - or it will become less effective and cause breakouts...etc.

Unlike what most people would think, these dry up fast, so its not sticky or unpleasant to go sleep with (I sleep on my side by the way)

I've been using this product for a year now, and I love it. It really does soothe the skin. In the winter however I find that this product is not moisturizing enough, so I just mix it with a drop of olive oil, and a little Eucerin. I love the fact that it contains anti-oxidants (vitamins A, C, and E).

on 1/1/2010 12:35:00 PM

Very good aloe vera gel that helps better than most moisturiser! Makes my skin smooth and soft and works for sensitive skin. Lessens any redness that I have. I use to for sores and irritation too :) Love it! Put it in the fridge. Free of chemical and good for sensitive skin :33!

on 11/20/2009 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Well I bought this because I wanted to see if it would moisturize well..
I didn't like it as a moisturizer.. but I started to like it better after I'd rinsed it off..
So I had the idea to mix it with my Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and this totally perfected my skin care regimine..
I think the aloe makes my skin less pink less greasy and more tone.

I use this aloe vera gelly as an eyeshadow primer (yes!) and I still cant get over how well it works. When I first apply it on my eyelids, it feels very sticky and wet, but it dries in a matter of seconds and then I apply my e/s & liner. Considering that 99% of this product consists of pure organically grown aloe vera, it feels safer for my eyes... It's also a cheap solution but works just as well and even better than some primers I tried!

I also make my own moisturizer using this gelly as a thickener, mixed with favourite plant- and essential oils. Basically it's the only moisturizer that won't make my skin overreact. It acts very soothing and cooling. I make enough for 1-2 weeks, so it's always fresh and keep the gel in a mini plastic container.

Yes, LotD changed the ingredients recently, and I prefer the older version, but a whole 99% of aloe vera juice is still good enough for me. I have also tried aloeonline.se's Jelly, which contains 99,6% aloe vera, and works just as good, but I prefer Lily of the Desert because it's labeled organic.
This is definitely one of my HG must-have beauty products. continued >>

on 4/5/2009 7:59:00 PM

I use this as a moisturizer on my skin and to help heal breakouts. It has been doing a wonderful job on clearing up my existing acne without causing any new acne. After using this a few days my acen is noticeably less visible and seems to be healing quickly.

on 2/22/2009 12:57:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I thought this would be nice as a light face moisturizer, but I don't feel that it moisturizes and is just like putting water on my face. I bet it would be great for sunburns, though. I bought my tube last July (2008) and the expiration date on it is this July (2009), so that's kind of annoying that it seems like the shelf life is not very long.

My tube has different ingredients on it than the ones that are listed previously. Maybe they changed them recently.

Ingredients:

Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, PEG-33 (and) PEG-8 Dimethicone (and) PEG-14, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A),
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Acrylates/C10-20 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Butylene Glycol (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

"As aloe vera is a succulent plant, it directly absorbs water from the surrounding soil system. If the soil contains herbicides, pesticides, or other chemicals, the artificial chemicals would be directly absorbed into the leaves and could cause damage to the nutrients in the plant. Lily of the Desert Certified Organic aloe vera does not contain any herbicides, pesticides, or harsh chemicals." Quoted from lily of the desert website.
This is one of the main reason why I chose Lily of the desert. Also it's 99%, so the other so called 'bad' ingredients that the below comments mentioned are less than even 1%.
I love how it smoothens my face and help my blemishes!

on 9/4/2007 11:51:00 PM

Skin Type: Combo, oily t-zone, very prone to acne (whiteheads and cystic, never blackheads)

I hunted everywhere for pure aloe vera gel! I finally found this in a small health store. I brought the gelly, thinking it was gel.. I still think this is very good. My skin absorbs it very well. I've only been using it for about a week and I haven't noticed any dramatic results, but nor has anything negative happened to my face.

However, i *do* notice a slight scent to it. I find it to be a weird smell but it doesn't deter me from continuing to use it and it goes away after my skin aborsbs it. I will purchase the gel version next to see how it is, but I am happy enough with the gelly!

Edit: been using it for a year now and i brought a 2nd tube. Towards the end of the 1st tube, the NaOH smell lessened but with this new tube, I'm reminded of it. The sodium hydroxide smell is my only complaint. It's a light moisturizer that is decent enough over summer and I trust it not to make me break out, but I find myself needing something more during the dryer winter days. After a year, it's done no miracles for me, but it has found a place in my staple skin care routine.

on 7/30/2007 3:54:00 PM

I much prefer aloe vera gel, which is fresher and a little more effective, but as far as aloe vera gellies go, Lily of the Desert seems the way to go. I've used this on and off for a while now, and it definitely helps heal, soothe, moisturize, and control oil production. But I definitely don't like the feeling of gelly as much as gel--gelly feels like glycerin to me, and neither gelly nor glycerin seem to allow my skin to breathe as well as gel does.

I can get this for about $8 at my local co-op.

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Ultrasil Copolyol, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Hydroxide.
continued >>