LUSH Breath of Fresh Air

LUSH Breath of Fresh Air
Breath of Fresh Air

3.9

Spring Water (Aqua), Fresh Sea Water from the Pacific (Aqua), Aloe Vera Gel (Aloe barbadensis), Perfume, Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis), Seaweed Absolute (Fucus vesiculosus), *Limonene, *Linalool, Methylparaben.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Last month, when I finally took the plunge and bought my beloved Ocean Salt, the very eccentric sales associate offered me a sample of the Breath of Fresh Air toner, which she said was her favorite product to use in conjunction with Ocean Salt. Lush says that Breath of Fresh Air will "give your skin a new lease on life with a blend of ingredients inspired by the sea. Breath of Fresh Air is suitable for all skin types, but is particularly beneficial for faces that have been ravaged by the elements. A gentle spray refreshes you when you need it most and brings all the nutrients of the sea directly to the skin. Fresh sea water gently cleanses while carragen seaweed extract softens and provides essential vitamins and minerals. And all the while rose absolute an aloe vera are soothing dry areas". For the most part, the ingredients are natural. Breath of Fresh Air is available in two sizes; 3.3 fl oz ($9.95), and 8.4 fl oz ($21.95). Like I mentioned, I got a little free sample with a purchase. As we all know, Lush is a cruelty free brand that focuses on "fresh", organic, and natural products, a large majority of which cater to vegans. This toner was made in Canada. Lush products can be bought at Lush stores and kiosks, and through the brand's website.
The full size of Breath of Fresh Air comes in a black spray bottle. The standard Lush label wraps around the bottle, featuring the product name, a description, and ingredient list. I'm not a fan of spray on toners, I'd likely be spraying it onto a cotton round. The packaging for this toner is recyclable, but I don't think its eligible for Lush's in-store recyclable program.
I'm a dedicated user of Olay's Oil Minimizing Toner, so I was feeling pretty neutral about Breath of Fresh Air. The first time I used this toner, it felt amazing! Slightly tingly, in a good way, and kinda firming. I thought it was love at first use. Sadly, the next several uses didn't really wow me. The pleasant tingle and toned feel seem to have been a one time deal. To me, the point of a toner is to pick up the last bits of cleanser and makeup that haven't been rinsed away, purifying the skin before you apply moisturizer. I just don't feel like this toner does that. The Lush sales associate also told me that you need to use less moisturizer when you use Breath of Fresh Air, a claim that also doesn't seem to hold up. What I do think Breath of Fresh Air is good for is absorbing excess oil without stripping the skin. This toner is quite gentle and is alcohol free, so it may be a good choice for those with sensitive skin. Breath of Fresh Air smells really similar to the BB Seaweed Fresh Face Mask, which makes sense since they share seaweed, rose, rosemary, and aloe as common ingredients.
I'm not in love with Lush's Breath of Fresh Air Toner. I feel like it isn't particularly effective at anything but removing oil. This is the most gentle toner I've ever sampled, it doesn't sting at all, so its excellent for those who can't handle alcoholic toners. I wouldn't repurchase this toner, but I did finish off my little sample.

on 4/18/2013 4:45:00 PM

I never realized how important toner is until recently. I love this toner because I can just sprits a little bit on my face and it makes my skin feel so refreshed and clean. I use Imperialist over it and I really have noticed an improvement in my skin. I also really love this toner because unlike a lot of other toners it isn't harsh on my skin and it really genuinely helps with the breakouts. I will definitely keep repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I hadn't used a proper toner before, but I did try to take good care of my skin. I always remove my makeup, then I wash my face with a facewash and rinse thourougly with water. Then I would apply eyecream and a moisturizer.

I got this toner because I just wanted to try one, I have used some alcohol based tonics before, but they broke me out.

As soon as I used this, my skin cleared. I didn't have bad skin, just a spot here and there most of the time. but using this toner made my skin clear and even. Everytime I stop using this product, my skin becomes more uneven and I get a few more spots.

I use this by spritsing two pumps of product on my hands, and then pad that all over my face and neck. This way no product gets wasted on cotton pads. Also, I doubt this takes makeup off, so use it as a skincare item. I suggest you use a alcohol based tonic or a cleansing milk for taking makeup off.

Because it helped my skin so much, I will continue to repurchase this (I am on my second bottle).

I did take one lippie off because it contains perfume (quite high on the list too), and that's just not good for the skin. otherwise, it contains some types of water, a few oils and plant extracts and the last ingredient is parabens, to keep it fresh.

Pricewise I think it's okay priced, I do have to order it and I would like it to be cheaper. But since a 100ml lasted me around 6 months with everyday use, I think the price is alright.

I do think the packaging sucks. I tried spraying it in my face, but it comes out in big drops, so you get a splash in your eye instead of a nice fine mist all over. Because the packaging is black, you can't really tell how much is left. And I find the packaging very unattractive. The only good thing is that the black plastic prevents the product from breaking down through sunlight, and it's made from recycled stuff.

overall I would recommend you to try this product as an extra step in your skincare. It definitely helped my skin. There is a small 100ml version and a large one. So just get the small one for starters, it lasted me for ages.

on 3/25/2013 3:30:00 PM

i love this product. I have tried all the toners from lush and this one is my favourite as i didnt care for the tea tree one at all. "breath of fresh air" is a great name for this product because it smells amazing! like the ocean or something. I spray it on my face after getting out of the shower or washing my face, and then apply my moisturizer after. The sales associate claims it will help reduce redness, does it? kind of, but nothing super drastic. However i think this product is definitely worth a try!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I like how this toner does not make my skin tight after using and i love the smell I cant wait to use this chilled in the refrigerator in the summer

on 2/16/2013 11:47:00 AM

I like the scent of this, but I need to keep it from my eyes, like most toners. It seems to get extra grime off my face well without irritating or drying my skin. I am getting older and my skin is getting more sensitive with dryness and breakouts. this product seems to work well with the vanishing cream moisturizer.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I needed a toner so I picked up this guy at my nearest Lush store and I don't regret getting it but on the other hand I'm not in ah. I love the packaging, the spray bottle eliminates the need for cotton balls or cotton pads. The smell is okay it is something to get use to because it's a different smell but not a bad smell. It is refreshing on the face like the name suggests "Breath of fresh air" - cute! The price is affordable compared to other high end skin care products. I believe it's $10 for the small bottle and I paid $20 for the larger size. I use this almost daily as a little wake me up before I prep and apply makeup. I had the same bottle I want to say since mid to late spring and I'm not even close to being empty so I know this is a product I will only repurchase maybe 2x a year! Overall this is not a miracle in a bottle but more of a little pick me up for the face. This is something I'd repurchase on the fact that it last a while and feelings good on the face.

on 10/17/2012 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Love it love it love it!!!!

Really gets below the first layer of skin. It has really helped even my skin tone and fade scars. Have just had a brainwave to try it on my stretchmarks & see how/ if it works...I have faith in this miracle product!

Reasonable, long lasting, soft on the skin, sweet smell, not sticky, devoid of 'stripping' chemicals, not tested on animals...

Was recommended to me by my cousin & so glad it was! Buy it.

on 9/11/2012 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've shied away from toners because I thought they were an unnecessary step in my skincare regime. Breath of Fresh Air has changed my mind! It has not revolutionized my skin by any means, but it has so many good uses. I use it with a cotton swab after I cleanse with Ultrabland to make sure all my makeup is off. I spray it after cleansing and then apply my gel-moisturizer for a little extra moisture. I spray it in the morning to wake me up!! I just love this stuff. Even if it doesn't revolutionize my skin it makes me feel so refreshed which I love. I spray it before doing my makeup too. I might try Eau de roma next. Try this and you will find it has so many uses!!

I was always a bit weary of toners as many in the industry claim it's simply a marketing ploy. However, I do believe it really depends on the skin type. I only realised how important toner is for me now that I started using Breath of Fresh Air, and then stopped. My combination skin started drying out, and when I started using BFA again it felt so much more hydrated and smooth. I use it morning and night and it feels really nice on the skin and helps my serum and moisturiser sink in better. Four pounds for a bottle that lasts for a few months is a bargain in my opinion.Being a bit of a stickler for clean products though, I have to take a lippie away for the parabens. Overall, I'm really happy with this toner and would definitely purchase another bottle, unless I find one I like more!