Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.2

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

on 4/27/2009 7:33:00 PM

I started my retinoid journey with Neutragena and was seeing some results. I had read that the Avene was a more effective form...so I switched....after a month on the Avene it was clear my skin was regressing....it did not help me at all....so I went back to Neutrogena and my skin started looking good again....I have finally over many months graduated up to Renova 2 days on and 1 day off and am REALLY seeing the results now....my skin is so soft and smoothe...and the lines are fading.

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

on 9/25/2008 12:57:00 PM

I am one of those unlucky folks who cannot tolerate prescription retinoic acid...YET. I finally broke down and got the mildest concentration of retinaldehyde in the Retrinal cream, 0.025%. I just got this product so I will be back to tell about the long-term usage. But I wanted to note that my very acneic skin has not had any clogged pores from this, and I've had no peeling, redness, or sensitivity. This is amazing because RAM and Retin-A both tore my skin all to hell. I am SO stoked that I can use this! I intend to get the stronger percentage each time I run out of a tube, and then move on to Diacneal...hopefully by then my skin will be able to handle it. Wish me luck!

**edit: I have used a 0.025, and a .5 tube with fantastic results. No breakouts, and my skin looks younger and smoother. I am waiting on my next tube to arrive, in the highest concentration. After I use that, I'll move on to Diacneal.

***UPDATE: I am now using the .1% and no problems with sensitivity. I am really hoping that eventually this will have my skin prepared for going on some mild Rx like Differin. Wish me luck :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I consider myself lucky to have found a great skin care clinic in my area. I noticed that they carried Avene products and I bought the Retrinal .05. I have finished the tube and can say that my skin looks better than it did 10 years ago. It helps with the prevention of fine lines and minimizes pores. I have always had oily skin in my t-zone, but I am dry around my cheeks and parts of my forehead. This has not caused me any trouble at all. Great stuff, I am moving on to the 0.1 next!!

This review is for the Retrinal .05%. This product was my introduction to retnoids. I initially couldn't decide if I should start with the .025% or the .05%, but after reading that the .05% is still quite gentle, I decided to go with that strength. I have combo skin, which tends to be dry in the winter and oily in the summer. I usually have at least 1 or 2 zits at any given time. The acne is mild, but it has been persistent. I started off using Retrinal every other night for about 2 weeks, and then every night. After another week or two without any adverse reactions, I started using PC's AHA gel first, and then applied Retrinal (in effect, I was making my own, weaker, version of Avene's Diacneal). I just reached the 2 month mark, and I can honestly say that my skin hasn't looked this good in years! I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "miracle" anti-aging creams, but this has really worked. My skin is much smoother and brighter, some of my sun spots have faded considerably, and I have not gotten any new zits in about a month.

I have been holding off on writing my review because maybe like a lot of you - I bought like 4 new things and started using them all at once. Something out of the 4 things was doing a good job and making my face look really nice. I've narrowed it down to being this. It is a great feeling to wash my face at night (St. Ives Blemish/Blackhead control w/a pump of Cetephil) and then put this on. I've spent the big dollar on another product but I'm not sold on that yet (SkinCentuials Intense Line Defense). I have the Avene 1.0 retinol. It is not too strong for my face and I have no irritation nor dryness from it. It is the product that makes my face look one lovely and fresh glow. I do recommend it.

on 8/3/2007 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I had tried using this for a few months but finally gave up. I started out using it every third night and slowly worked my way up to every night. I didn't experience any purging from this, but had constant clogged pores the whole time I used it - after I stopped, they went away. I think the cream base was just the culprit, it just seemed too emollient for me and I was always waking up with a greasy-looking face - and it was wintertime. I'm now using Differin .1% gel and love it.

on 4/28/2007 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using Retrinal .025% for a little over a month now. I started out using it every third night, and I now use it every other night, alternating with my BHA and BP acne treatment routine. I still haven't noticed any significant difference in my skin, but it also hasn't irritated my sensitive acne-prone skin at all. In fact, I plan to order the .05% next time. Since I can't currently afford to see a derm or get a prescription retinoid, this is the next best thing. I love that it is fragrance-free, but I do wish it were a bit lighter in texture. Hopefully I'll begin to see results after a few more months. UPDATE: Using Retrinal has allowed me to trade up to Differin Gel, which I could not use before. Although I no longer expect to repurchase Retrinal, I still think it's a great starter retinoid, especially for those like me with sensitive skin. Ingredients: water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, mineral oil, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, bht, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, red 33, retinal, triethanolamine. continued >>

on 11/12/2006 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this (.1%) on the recommendation of my dermatologist. I used it for a while and then for some reason just quit because I wasn't sure I was seeing a difference. Well, once I stopped, I knew immediately it was making a big difference because my skin was just so dull! I've been back on it for a couple of weeks now and I can't imagine not using it. I have very dry skin, so I use a moisturizer first and then layer the retrinal on top. It works like a charm. My face is so soft and radiant.

on 10/8/2006 8:20:00 AM

Have been using .05% for 2 weeks,so far I am impressed. I have mild/moderate rosacea+am PPP,sensitive skin. This has improved redness,overall skin tone+ refined my skin already. I am a 26 year old Australian +have the beginnings of fine lines on my forehead. I think I have seen an improvement in these. Will update to be sure it's not all wishful thinking, so far I am pleased.
11/3/6 Results even better,skin much more refined+smoother. Need for exfoliation has greatly reduced, though PC BHA 2% is still needed.Roasea appears to have improved.Not a miracle, but so far impressed. Upgrading to higher strength,Eluage gel. My skin is very sensitive, (retinol in a Chanel eye cream I sampled recently caused redness), I have been very pleasantly surprised by how nicely my sensitive skin has handled this form of Vit A. As such highly rec this for sensitive skins, just go slowly (to begin with I only used this on my forehead, before including chin + cheeks). I've read Vit A doesn't necessarily increase photo sensitivity, however I could feel my skin reacting more than usual to incidental sun exposure (could feel it slightly burn on one occasion when I wasn't diligent with SPF). Update 03/09/07 Have upgraded to Eluage and Ystheal .1%, may continue to use this as eye cream. I very highly rec this product and line of Vit A for those with sensitive skin, rosacea etc.