Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.2

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 3/15/2013 8:21:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I am usually vigilant about product ingredients before I use them on myself and I was wary of this product because it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and even Sodium Chloride (salt!) but I bought this anyway because of the great reviews on Makeupalley. MUA has proved extremely helpful to me over the years unfortunately this one did not live up to the rating - for me, anyway. I use a gentle cleanser in the AM (non foaming or stripping) and then in the PM remove my makeup with my usual Bioderma H20/Simple Wipes/a mild non-foaming cleanser and then maybe Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion afterwards as BHA toner. This time I used this to cleanse after removing makeup, then Decleor night balm. Literally even with the balm my skin felt so parched and I could tell this had "stripped" my skin and disrupted its protective acid mantle. The next morning I woke up to an irritated rash on my cheeks - like small red blisters. I could also feel an under the skin spot forming on my cheek. I immediately slathered on a rich, soothing mosituriser and luckily this calmed my face and stopped it from getting worse. The rash and spot luckily settled the next day however this experience was enough to make me throw out the wash. I should have known better anything "foaming" is too drying and stripping for me. Plus the claims of this product are false - they claim the product is "soap free" yet Sodium Laureth Sulfate is indeed one of the ingredients (albeit low down in the list - it's still there!). Plus the way you get most products to foam is the presence of a soap/detergent (SLS)!!! I stupidly thought because it wasn't in the top ingredients it would be fine but this experience has taught me to stay away from all skin products with SLS in the ingredients in future and I urge anyone else to do this even if they have combo skin (like me) or even oily...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to like this product (as well as other Alpha Hydrox products) but I really don't think it's for me.
I purchased this a few months ago and have been using it religiously since then, both in conjunction with the 10% Enhanced Lotion and more recently, alone. This makes my face so overwhelmingly dry and tight. It seems as though no amount of moisturizer will replenish my skin once it's been washed with this. To even raise an eyebrow or smile feels uncomfortable. My skin looks terrible.
Since I've been using Alpha Hydrox products, I've noticed that my skin has become much more fussy and aggravated than usual also- probably because it's so dry. Winter definitely isn't helping but I stay inside most of the time. I haven't seen any difference in my skin aside from the fact that it is unbearably dry and more prone to irritation than it was before. Basic cleansers like Cetaphil seem to do a 1,000 times better for my skin than this does.

on 11/2/2012 3:52:00 AM

Lovely product, one of my favourites. A little goes a long way, does not dry out the skin and is fragrance free.I hate fragranced skin care, that nice smell that so many people seem to want in their face creams and washes is not skin care.No dry tight feeling after using this, just nice and soft. This is a water soluable cleanser with just a slight foaming action.I will buy this again and again.

on 11/1/2012 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is my HG cleanser. I buy it 3-4 at a time so I can get free shipping. I also keep one on my counter (for night) and one in my shower (for morning). My skin is combo and as I get older, I'm getting dry patches. This cleanser gets rid of makeup and is very, very gentle. Doesn't overdry my skin, but doesn't leave it dirty or oily. You just need a little bit so a bottle goes a long way. I docked the packaging b/c a pump would be better.

It's a US company and they always send a signed note thanking me for my business. That's a nice touch. And it's not a million dollars, so that is GREAT!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this face wash after reading the fantastic reviews about it from MU.
Overall, I think it's an effective cleanser, though sometimes it can be a little too drying for me, personally (which is surprising, since normally I never mind or notice any dryness from cleansers).
Did this prevent breakouts? I honestly do not think it prevented any breakouts on my face, but I also don't think it created any breakouts, which is always a good thing! I use it for taking off makeup when I don't want to use a makeup remover pad on my skin- which is practically always.
I don't particularly like the bottle it comes in. The packaging is certainly sturdy, and there's certainly a good amount of product in the package, but I think this cleanser would be better fit for a pump bottle. Honestly, though, I don't care too terribly much about this tiny little factor and it absolutely does not effect how the face wash itself works.

Also, I really do not like the ingredient list. Ammonium Hydroxide, parabens, sulfates... just not my cup of tea, I suppose. However, the price for all Alpha Hydrox products are generally just fantastic, so you can expect to get what you paid for and more. (:
I just felt that this was... average. I'll probably stick this with my Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and use it for removing skin makeup and for use after exercising. My search for an HG cruelty-free cleanser continues, though!

EDIT:
I'm going to change my rating and bump this up a lippie- I feel that I didn't give it the credit it deserves overall for effectiveness. Again, it takes off all of my makeup and I don't feel that it dries me out like other cleansers sometimes do.

on 10/15/2012 2:31:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This stuff is pretty good! I've been using it for about a month and a half now. It doesn't dry out your skin like most other face washes, and it doesn't leave that sticky feeling afterwards. I was surprised that it was so gentle on my skin, since most cleansers break me out. It balances out the pH of your skin, and I've noticed that my oily areas are no longer as oily, and my dry areas are no longer dry. It doesn't keep acne away like I hoped, but it does prevent it from getting really big and red.

on 10/1/2012 1:05:00 AM

I was like the bad boyfriend to this product for over 10 years, always thinking it wasn't good enough for me, looking around for something better, prettier & would smell better. I don't know if I'm finally going to settle down and "marry" this face wash but I think my last attempt at "cheating" with Philosophy's Purity Made Simple has finally made me admit that Alpha Hydrox' Foaming Face Wash is a hell of a lot better than most products out there for cleaning your face. Sorry, but that Purity stuff is totally over-hyped! Yes, it has cool packaging and smells awesome, but that's the best part about it.

The positives about Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash:
- gentle & good for sensitive skin
- removes makeup including eye makeup (except for waterproof mascara) and does not sting my super-sensitive eyes (and I rub it around all over my eyes with them open!)
- cleans thoroughly without stripping skin; does not leave skin all tight.

Things I don't love:
- really boring packaging (but see, this shouldn't be important, right?)
- no smell (which also should be a good thing, right?)
- the formula has become more liquid-like in the past several years; when I first started using it Colorado (where it was first available), it was closer to a thicker gel-like formula even though it was still a lotion. Now it is much more lotion-like and I'm not sure if I like the texture as much. But eh, at this point, I'm coming around to thinking I wouldn't know what to do if this wasn't available any more, so I should stop finding excuses to complain about this cleanser! LOL.

I really wonder how many people would keep using Purity if they tried the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash. I mean, I know the packaging can make a huge psychological difference, but I think the Alpha Hydrox product is really the better product and I think it's less than half the price of Purity. Haha.

on 9/9/2012 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Got it free when I purchased the 10% aha lotion. Broke me out like crazy! There's more than 20 red bumps on my chin, each of them with a yellow head. I know it's this cleanser because I never get such severe breakouts all at once. Didn't experience any stinging

on 9/5/2012 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This face wash is mild as compared with other foaming face washes I've tried. Nevertheless, because my skin is dry and sensitive, I diluted it half and half with distilled water. I tried using it only at night, but it still irritated my skin. I think this would be a fine cleanser for those with normal skin.

on 8/12/2012 5:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

CAUTION - Be careful around your eyes. This product is actually pretty awesome. It will exfoliate your skin and help keep pores clear. It says it is gentle enough to use around your eyes, but after two or three weeks of using this I developed a reaction around my eyes. So I recommend with reservations. Avoid your eye area!
Edit - some of the reviewers below question the AHA quantity in this product. I can assure you there is plenty of glycolic acid in it because it significantly increased my tendency to sunburn.