Lancome Color Design

Lancome Color Design

4.2

on 6/10/2009 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is mainly for Aspen Nights (Metallic) with some comments on Pink Veil (Sheen).

I bought the above two, along with Five Star (Metallic) and Garnet Sensation at a local outlet fragrance store during the end of the year holiday season sales for $5 each (I KNOW). I believe all four colors are Discontinued, which is why it was on sale like that (the store had a ton of Lancome stuff on sale for $5 a pop, including Juicy Tube Swirl and the Gloss pots, as well as eyeliners in colors such as Metallic green among others).

Packaging's awesome. not the box itself, but the palette that holds the shadow. It's round (as most shadows are) but instead of a flip or twist off, it actually slides upward, similar to a slider phone. Like some others reviewed, it's REALLY fun to slide it. It also makes it much cleaner/easier to use, as I can now hold the e/s in one hand and be able to open and close it, while I apply with my right hand. VERY convenient, and a fantastic design.

Pink Veil is a pale pale pink with slight silvery sheen. It makes a good base color, though I rarely use it. The one I use the most is the Aspen Night, which is a Metallic dark gray (something like a gunmetal gray with more shine) though once applied, it's not all that glittery. I've started to use it a lot recently because I realized pure black eyeliner (what i used before) is too stark for my mono lid asian eyes, so to widen my eyes (but in a less obvious way), i use the shadow as a "smudge" of my liner. I found that it also works really well for smokey eyes in conjunction with some other eyeshadows I have.

My only problem with it, is that it doesn't seem to be all that pigmented. Please note that I've never used it with a primer, and i'm not using $30 eyeshadow brushes either. I am also not a makeup professional, and only recently started using eyeshadows. But unlike the Victoria's Secret eyeshadows I bought as experimentation, which were VERY pigmented and i was able to pick up very easily with a slight dab of the brush, Aspen Night was much more difficult. I had to either twirl the brush in the shadow for a while to get any color, or as I found out, it's just easier to apply with a sponge applicator instead, as it the press on my eyelid is heavier and i was able to pick up more shadow with the rough surface of the sponge.

Staying power is superb on me. it has never so much as smeared or gave me panda eyes or anything of the sort, and I never use anything as primer (i don't use foundation or concealer, or even any sheer powder if it's just going to work). Granted please note that I do not have oily lids, not to mention i have like NO eyelid (monolid asian eyes anyone), just a big wide space between my eyes and my eyebrow.

overall, so far I wouldn't buy these at their original price just yet (though to be fair, I don't buy ANY brand at original price), but i'm totally going back to that fragrance store at year end to see if they have more (i still beat myself up for not picking up a quad palette for $10). The only color I think i woudl repurchase are slightly discounted retail price (rather than the $5 price) would be Aspen Night, as it has become my every day staple.

on 12/6/2008 5:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I recently came across these at a fragrance outlet shop, let me say I'm a die hard MAC FAN, but when I tried this e/s I was not dissapointed, I have since purchased a couple more, but my absolute favorite now is Five Star, it's a metallic purple pink, it's awesome. They have different finishes sheen, metallic, and intense, which by the way is REALLY intense! You don't need too much product, in the intense shade a little goes a LONG way.

on 11/16/2008 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got the Color Design Quad in LOTUS SPLENDOR, which includes the colors INDIA SILK, SARI SHIMMER, ROYAL TIGER and EARTH.
I think it's a limited edition for the fall of 2008, so I'm not exactly sure this review is going to be useful later, but I really wanted to share the fact that I love, love, LOVE it.
The colors are absolutely stunning. The darkest, brown one is perfect for either to be used as an eye liner or to create the smoky eye effect. The other three, which range from shimmery, sheer golden brown to matte, very bright whitish pink, are perfect for highlighting either underneath the brows, the corner of the eyes, underneath the eyes, or for using as an overall color on the lids to really open up the eyes.
A truly sophisticated, perfect group of colors for any occasion.

on 11/15/2008 2:24:00 PM

I have this in ceil du soir. With my dark brown eye and hair and medium light skin tone, most shades of blue do not one suit me. However, this shade is stunning on me.

The problem is that this product does not stay put on the eye. I've tried three different primers and none of them have made this product last more than 4 hours.

Color is too fabulous to give up, so when I wear it I carry the shadow with me to work for a touch up.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I just bought this yesterday along with some other Lancome products at Tj maxx for real cheap. The color i got is called garnet sensation its a very pretty kind of purple color. I tried it on and at first its kind of sheer but its buildable. It hasen't creased yet and its still just as dark as when I put it on. Plus the case is really cute the way it slides open. So I will probably buy some more as soon as I go back to TJ maxx!

on 7/26/2008 8:28:00 AM

I love their eyeshadows. I have Rose quartz, which is a plumy- purplish color and Russet which is a reddish brown color. I found these eyeshadows at a local Marshalls on clearance for 5.00 bucks! So I thought I would try them out since there is nothing to loose!
I love love them. They are pigmented and awesome just like the MAC eyeshadows.
I love their packaging too..
If I find more, I will definitely buy them! On buying the product on full price, I would have to think about it :)

This review is for the " Guest List"

This is a beautiful shimmering deep coco brown. Guest List goes on sheer and can be layered for a more intense look. What really sttod out form Guest List, is that is definitely not a standard neutral, but goes on black-brown with shimmers...perfect for a transparent smoky eye, without the harshness of black and without being too warm, which

I personally dislike warm browns since they tend to look "beachy tan" rather than glamorous, on me. Guest List is rather neutral and I can wear it on pale skin without looking odd.

The transparency of the color is ideal, while still being able to see the color. This is great if one is looking for a very smoked out soft eye.

Highly recommended.

on 6/30/2008 2:30:00 AM

I agree that it's way better than the color focus eyeshadow! The color pay off is good and the color is long-lasitng. I adore the metallic silver becuase it's just like a piece of foil paper on your eyes which looks absolutely fabulous. The other color I like is the medium orange brown one called "Fashion Show".
At the same time, the price is nice($14or 14.5). Usually I will buy it if there's GWP going on becuase two of these shadows are just enough to get the gift.

on 6/4/2008 3:32:00 PM

Well they look really nice in the store.
I bought a few of them.
I only have one left and that is Positive matte.
It's all right, but no better then most of my drugstore makeup.
I would only buy it again if it was under $10.00
And we all know that won't happen.
LoL

on 5/29/2008 2:12:00 AM

These are a great improvement over the old color focus line. Maybe it's just me, but a lot of the color focus shadows seemed hard to blend and chalky. But I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the color design shadows! I always wear shadow primer, so I'm not sure how the pigmentation and creasing would be during the day on bare lids, but at least with primer these last all day. For the longest time I had MAC blinders on and simply didn't want to use any other brand of shadow. That and I hadn't been that impressed with the color focus shadows, but these new ones really are great quality and worth a try. As of this review there's a great color selection (hope lancome doesn't start discontinuing a lot of them.) I haven't bought any yet because I go to the lancome counter so much it seems like I'm always coming home with a gwp quad. I probably have about 5 quads but if I ran out of a particular shade that I like, I'd purchase a full sized one at the counter.