Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.2

This applied like a dream, and like the reviewers said below, it is a blackened red plum shade that is just gorgeous on tips and toes. It is just a tad darker than Revlon Vixen (the reason I'm justifying keeping both!). It's completely shiny on its own, but I still use a topcoat as part of my regular manicure routine. I got this on clearance for .99 cents at a beauty supply store and I would definitely repurchase if I ever went through the bottle. I wish that the Essie brush handle was longer, but that's not such a big deal.

on 8/29/2006 4:22:00 PM

At first I was really skeptical about this product b/c in the bottle it appears to be a deep grape color. However, when applied it appears more of a plummy wine and with each layer gets darker. After 3 layers, it resembles a plummy black that is just gorgeous. This is absolutely my favorite dark nail polish. It is a great alternative for using black because it is incredibly dark without looking witchy or too goth.

I highly recommend- tres sexy (especially on toes) (:

I am loving this so far - maybe the best Essie I've tried yet for cover and durability. And WHAT a gorgeous shade - it is mostly a creme (think Lincoln Park After Dark with a touch more red in it) but especially after putting topcoat on it I could see sparkles in it. It did cover my nails after one coat but it was a bit streaky, it really needed the two coats to be as lovely as it is now. Even though it's a vampy shade, it makes me feel very happy and spring-y. :)

I love this color... It's my favorite color nail polish ever!

on 1/7/2006 5:18:00 PM

I really like this shade(Cat1104 described it perfectly as "a cool-toned, blackened plum creme") but found the quality a bit disappointing. It goes on quite streaky and application is not that easy. I will probably not repurchase, I will look for a lookalike with better quality.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I loved the color this gave after one coat, a deep plum. While the color was perfect after one coat, it was kind of streaky and needed another. After two coats though, this is pretty much just black. If you look at it in direct sunlight you see a hint of plum but it's mostly just black. I don't really care for such a dark color (have this on my toes). Not as difficult to apply as I had expected it to be. Essie describes this as "a rich, deep wine." If you liked OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark but had difficulty applying it, give Sole Mate a try.

on 9/14/2005 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little leery about getting this because it's similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, which just looks black on me and is difficult to work with. I'm glad I got this though. It's a cool-toned, blackened plum creme. Unlike my experience with LPAD, Sole Mate doesn't get goopy during application. Two thin coats gives me shiny, super dark plum-colored tips. However, thicker/more coats will definitely yield a deeper, darker color that's closer to black and looks almost identical to LPAD if that's what you're looking for.

Popular Polishes