LUSH Godiva Solid 2-in-1 Shampoo Bar

LUSH Godiva Solid 2-in-1 Shampoo Bar
LUSH Cosmetics' Godiva solid shampooGodiva Solid 2-in-1 Shampoo Bar

3.8

Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycerl Stearate & Peg - 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Hibiscus Extract (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), Stearic Acid, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimide, Camella Oil (Camella japonita), Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Macadamia Nut Oil (Macadamia ternifolia), Coconut Butter (Cocos nucifera), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), Cypress Oil (Cupressus sempervirens), Palmarossa Oil (Cymbopogan martini), Jasmine Flowers (Jasminum officinale), Lanolin, Cocamide DEA, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), Benzyl Alcohol, Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

At first, I didn't think this was making much of a difference. I loved the scent but i couldnt see a difference in my hair. I put it aside and forgot about it until I moved. The water in my new house is very harsh and dries my hair out badly. Going through my cosmetics drawer, I came across my forgotten GoDiva bar and decided to use it for the heck of it. After using it and drying my hair, I noticed great improvement in the softness and suppleness of my hair. It was no longer dry and unmanageable, it had bounce and shine to it that the hard water had taken away. Needless to say, I have fallen in love with this shampoo bar and have ordered three more. I'm sure if you used it every day, it could be drying, but that's why I only use it maybe two or three times a week. It seems to be working wonders on my parched hair so I am happy with it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Smells amazing! I love jasmine and this delivers. It has a sweet scent to it as well. It's a 2-in-1 shampoo bar but does not weigh down my oily hair. It doesn't detangle well though. Lathers well and makes my bathroom smell amazing; no need for air freshener!

EDIT MARCH 2013 - Still in love with this shampoo. I try and branch out and use other shampoos but I always come back. It makes my hair look shiny and feel nourished.

After my first wash I could tell a difference. It suds up quickly and I only needed to run it through my hair once (I have mid-length hair). It left it squeaky clean. After the first week of using this product my hair felt course (like straw) ... but once dry it was soft and smooth. This feeling went away about a week later and had no problems since.

The bar's smell is very overpowering, but luckily it's more tame on clean and dried hair (you get use to it after a while). It is expensive, but worth it.

Again, I hate the packaging which is my number one complaint about Lush products. Yes, I know you can buy the tins, but I already paid 10 bucks for this product, you'd think they'd give you one. I keep mine out of the shower and in a dry place, because it will run out faster if left there.

****UPDATE*****
I know a lot of people mentioned that this bar fell apart in a matter of a few uses. One bar lasts me 3-4 months ... and I wash my hair every other day. I keep it up high and allow it to air dry. I do not have a tin. It has never fallen apart on me until the bitter end when I have very little left.

on 8/26/2011 6:52:00 PM

I am a fan of the concept of solid shampoos but this one isn't up to LUSH's usual standard. Like all the shampoos it can be very economical to use; just three 'strokes' down wet hair produces enough lather to wash it well.
Importantly, this method also enables you not to tangle your hair, but to wash it as if it was a piece of precious and delicate fabric, essential for keeping it in good condition.
The scent is pleasant and lingers on the hair after use. The problem is the bar itself. Even with storing it in its special tin, the bar quickly became soggy. It disintegrated very rapidly, leaving fatty lumps stuck in my hair that were a nightmare to get out.
I was on the point of throwing it out when it disintegrated messily and completely and vanished out of the shower.
It washed my hair adequately when it wasn't leaving fatty lumps it it, but it was poorly conditioned. Buy another bar instead of this one.

on 8/12/2011 10:48:00 PM

I am in love with this solid shampoo. the jasmine smell is devine. and it leaves my hair squeaky clean. I was also surprised to find how well it lathers. absolutely going to repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I'm a big fan of Lush products so I finally decided to try out their hair care products. I have dry hair so I was told by one of the workers at the Lush that I go to that this product is good for moisturizing dry hair. The lovely jasmine smell is what really got me hooked and the fact that the solid shampoos supposedly last up to 3 months. Applying this shampoo is easy. All you do is wet your hair and rub the solid shampoo in you hair a couple of times (depending on your hair length) to work into a lather. It does clean my hair well but as far as it being a 2 in 1, I still take the time to condition my hair afterward because it does not moisturize my hair as I'd like. Given this info, I will most likely not buy Godiva again. I'll be giving Trichomania a try next.

on 7/18/2011 7:31:00 PM

Like everyone else said - smells amazing, but I don't find the scent lingers AT ALL. Not at all conditioning, either, but cleans well. Love the concept of solid shampoo...Just wish I could find a solid conditioner I liked as well (Tried Jungle...not so much)

EDIT: After a while of using this, I find it too harsh, like using dish soap on my hair...Sure, it gets squeaky clean, but it's also gets stripped and over-dry. Also I found it wasn't ideal for travelling, since once it gets wet it really needs to dry before you put it away in the tin, or it will get "soggy".

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Ok, I have some conflicting thoughts about this product...

1) The smell. It smells AMAZING. Like, the most wonderful smell to grace my nose. Floral, but earthy, rich and a hint of something sweet or tangy or something. Lush makes a perfume now called lust that has the exact same smell. Needless to say, I have that one, too. Showering with this shampoo is like 10 minutes in heaven. I find that the scent doesn't linger in hair remarkably well, though, which is a shame. But it seems to stick around better if I let it sit in my hair for a minute instead of rinsing it out right away.

2) It's marketed as a two in one shampoo and conditioner. It shampoos my hair alright. It lathers really well. The first ingredient is sulfate, so if it didn't I would be very surprised. This makes my hair squeaky clean. The problem is that this can't condition for it's life. It's actually rather drying. I can see the chunks of conditioner in the bar, but they really don't do jack. Again, like with the smell, I find that it's beneficial to let it sit in my hair for a little while so that the conditioner can soak in. But I still have to use a separate conditioner, regardless of how long I leave it in my hair.

3) The bar shampoo concept. It's wonderful that there was no plastic used to package this shampoo. Also the solid and compact nature of this shampoo is ideal for travel. Unfortunately, it kind of gets soggy after a while. I do keep it in the lush shampoo tin, but it is starting to look a little worse for wear. I've had it for three or four months and I use it once a week or so. It's getting softer and the shampoo part is separating from the conditioner bits. I'm worried that in a few months it'll be really gross. I might try keeping it somewhere that's not my bathroom for a week to try to dry it out.

Recap: It smells fantastic, but doesn't really last in the hair. It cleans well but doesn't moisturize at all. It is a neat concept, but doesn't hold up very nicely. All in all, I probably wouldn't repurchase, but I'm glad I tried it.

on 6/23/2011 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I love the concept of a solid 2in1 shampoo conditioner. i have to confess that i can't stand jasmin fragrances (like lust or flying fox, and I respect who loves this products) anyway Godiva is an exception, I love the scent of my hair after I wash it with godiva. Its a nice shampoo with a great scent and also is very moisturizing which is a plus, and also last forever. i will recommend to cut a small piece of godiva and use one little piece at a time just to avoid crumbs.

Pros: Loads of lather, leaves hair with volume & shine, smells GREAT - jasmine fragerance stays in hair
Cons: Does not actually condition much, CAN be drying if used daily

One of my favorite shampoos!

Godiva is one of Lush's many solid shampoo bars. Lush describes this solid shampoo as a "2-in-1 Cleansing and Conditioning Bar" (i.e. Shampoo plus Conditioner) - as opposed to the rest of their solid shampoos which are only meant to cleanse.

The bar has a strong sweet jasmine smells that will fill up your shower and bathroom and stay in your hair for sometime. This round soap-like bar is very easy to use. You can either run the wet bar down the length of your wet hair or rub between your palms and apply it to your hair as you would a regular liquid shampoo.

I fell in love with this shampoo with my first use! I actually used my friends during a vacation and then bought my own as soon as I was able to get to the mall.

So I initially did not expect Godiva to lather up as much as it did since it is a shampoo + conditioner. But with just one swipe, I had tons and tons of lather which I loved. Keep in mind that I have fairly thick hair and shampoos usually do not lather up so easily in my long hair.

I love the way it lathers up, cleans extremely well and leaves my hair with lots of volume and shine, and best of all - the jasmine fragerance lingers forever in your hair! I have noticed that the smell comes out more once the hair is dry (I usually notice the opposite with other shampoos - the smell goes away once your hair dries).

Although this is called a shampoo + conditioner, you most likely will need to follow up with conditioner. And I can see this getting a little too drying if used on a daily basis, so I would suggest alternating with something less intense if you wash your hair every day.

Don't forget that you can get a free Lush tin to store your solid shampoos (value $3.95) when you purchase any two solid shampoos! (I will be reviewing other ones that I purchased).

As much as I love the smells of this shampoo, I would not recommend this to anyone that is allergic to heavyly frageranced products!