Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

4.6

on 12/9/2007 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I put Neosporin on everything! Not only does it help cuts and scars, but it helps with dry patchy areas on skin. With the ance treatment I use on my face, it leaves my face with dry and peeling patchy areas on my face. After I wash my face at night, I put Neosporin and the dry areas and the next morning the dry peeling area is gone!

on 12/9/2007 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This review is for a Neosporin offbrand (by HomeBest) called "Triple Antibiotic Ointment." The active ingredients are the same, and it is in the same petroleum-ointment consistency.

I use this ointment as an acne spot treatment, and the stuff is absolutely amazing!! I have tried nearly every acne spot treatment -- from Proactiv and Biore masks, to strong 10% BP creams, to 2.5% salicylic acid gels. Everything worked a little bit, but the blemishes never showed significant redness or size reduction overnight. Still, I continued to use them, just because they were the only things I had around the house to use.

Then, one day on MUA, I found "Neosporin" rated one of the top rated items in the [Skincare - Treatments] section at a 4.8 overall rating. I was very surprised, but figured that it was worth a try since everyone seems to have a tube around their house somewhere and it is meant for bacterial fighting after all. So I rummaged around our medicine cabinets and found HomeBest's knockoff version called "Triple Antibacterial Ointment". The ingredients listings were the same as Neosporin's online ingredient list, so I swiped some on each of my spots and then headed off to bed.

By the next morning, the spots did show some sign of improvement (at least compared to my other masks/creams/gels that I use for spot treatment). But I still wasn't seeing the miracle results that all other Neosporin users were so excited about. I figured that it just must have been the fact that mine was an offbrand, and maybe Neosporin had a secret ingredient or something.

BUT THEN... I came back onto MUA to look at some older Neosporin reviews, just to see if there was anything I was missing. And there definately was... THE BAND-AID! I started seeing more and more reviews mentioning placing a Band-Aid over the dab of Neosporin, so that it would stay in place and work its magic without rubbing off. This made perfect sense to me, since most of the ointment seemed to be gone from my face when I woke up in the morning.

So, the next night, I dabbed the ointment as usual on my various blemishes (raw-ish and uneven due to scratching etc... pleasant I know). Then, I cut some stretchy fabric Band-Aids down to blemish-covering-size and stuck them carefully on top of my spots. And off to bed I went.

The next morning, I awoke to much improved skin! The uneven, broken-skin blemishes were much less red, and the skin was definately healing and smoothing back out! Even though it was a non-makeup Saturday, it was obvious that makeup would have gone on very smoothly over the newly-smoothed skin (whereas previously the skin would have been too broken/scabbed etc for makeup to look natural).

This stuff is my new HG skin treatment! I would've never thought to try Neosporin as a spot treatment, especially when big brands like Proactiv are out there offering $20 sulfer masks and such. But it works, so I am definately a believer! My one bit of advice for everyone is to USE A BAND-AID :) Its really the magical second step to Neosporin/Antibacterial Ointment usage.

Furthermore, despite its slightly oily ointment consistency, this stuff has never broken me out. I know that some versions have mineral oil in them, and though it is not reported to cause breakouts, I would suggest oily/acne prone skin types avoiding that type of Antibacterial formula.

All in all, this is really a true 5-star (or lippie) product! Try it... what have you got to lose?

After reading about using this stuff for acne i decided to try it. and it makes sense that it would work for acne b/c acne is caused by bacteria and why not use something that you are supposed to put on open sores to heal and prevent infection or bacteria from coming back. This is great. i dont really have too many problems with acne except for the monthly ones and those are usually really bad. ive tried everything to clear them from the syalic acid (spelling?) and benzperoxide (again sorry about the spelling) but they never really cleared them and i didnt have time to put that ointment on three times a day to dry up and get rid of the pimples. anyways a couple of days ago i could feel a huge cystic pimple on the side of my cheek and i put some neosporin on it over night and the next morning the pain from the pimple was gone and i could feel that the cyst had gotten much smaller than it was the previous day....OMG i put it on the next two nights and it, along with the redness, was gone....a miracle. who knew. i think they should put on the box that not only is it for cuts but can be used for acne. now everynight, if i can see or feel a little white head or anytype of pimple coming on i put on the neosporin and it goes away.....YEAH thank you neosporin......sorry this was so long!

on 6/9/2006 4:06:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is probably the best antibacterial cream out there, perfect for any kind of open wound... be it a large gash from a fall, or a zit that you couldn't help popping. It doesn't sting like the one my mom used to put on my wounds when I was a kid. I think it was called Terramycin, or something like that.

I wish the packaging would be a bit more simple and classy, since I like well-designed products. But since it IS medicine after all, I'm not really complaining too much. And its effectiveness more than makes up for whatever it lacks in aesthetics.

Note: Always get the Neosporin CREAM, not the clear ointment kind, because the cream stays put while the ointment gets all over the place, and is considerably more oily. continued >>

Good product for almost anything... I use all over my face sometimes at nights and my pinples are less red and my face is moisturized!!!

on 12/11/2005 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I use this product on my face, the cream not the ointment because it will clog your pores, it fades red marks dramatically

on 12/21/2004 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great antibacterial pain reliever for cuts, and scrapes. A staple in our house.
It helps heal super fast, unlike any others,except maybe, Vaseline ointment, which is great for diaper rash, etc. Two thumbs up!

on 7/26/2004 1:00:00 AM

I could not find Neosporin in Canada, but I bought Polysporin, which I believe is the same product. I tried this on both inflamed and healing zits. Honestly, I'm not sure where all the raves are coming from. The cream is VERY greasy and didn't seem to affect my skin at all. Sorry, this didn't work for me!

Great for having around during little emergencies - you know, scratches, paper cuts, random breakouts... it's amazing what this stuff can do for a cut or an inflamed breakout! It's practically healed overnight! Do they make travel size versions of this for your makeup bag? If so, I want one!

on 6/26/2003 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I remember when this was only available by RX. Great all around first aid cream. I like the cream much better than the ointment.

Popular Lotions / Creams