REVLON Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Charcoal

REVLON Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Charcoal

3.6

on 12/2/2011 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Even though I don't like the packaging of this product, I'm still impressed with its lasting power. I have oily eyelids and because of that I have to be keen in choosing eyeliners. When I applied it, I thought it was going to smudge but I waited the whole day and it didn't. Plus it didn't fade or dried my lashes. It's one of my favorites.

Hope this helps <3

on 4/15/2011 2:57:00 PM

I bought this solely for my bottom waterline because my cousin swears by this eyeliner. Fail. I resembled a panda when I previewed my face on her camera. Will never buy this again. In addition, I've purchased Prestige's Total Intensity Eyeliner and can't wait to try it out based on the rave reviews here in MUA. Hope it performs better than Colorstay.

I bought this because I have blue eyes and didn't want black because it's too harsh. I tried to apply it to my waterline on the bottom and it wouldn't go on I tried the upper lash line same thing. It is very hard to apply and I would not recommend it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I'm on my second thingy of this eyeliner. I really like it, a lot. It goes on smooth and easy, it's in a twist-able container, and u can sharpen it with the built in sharpener to get a finer/thinner line. It comes off really easy with make-up remover. I wear this eyeliner everyday of my life. I don't go anywhere without it on.

I use this in black and I absolutely LOVE it! I've used MAC eyeliner and compared to this, it's way too chalky. Revlon Colorstay is by far the best eyeliner out there. Drugstore and department store! You get what you pay for and more!!!!!!!!

I love the navy in the colorstay but I must admit this charcoal is disappointing especially if you purchase it only to use on your waterline (which I did). It is not a strong colour for the waterline, I will have to try it on my eyelids so it is not wasted. It is a pretty colour but just no good as a waterline eyeliner.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

In the past, I have been a big fan of the colorstay automatic pencils. I stopped using them because I have found other, even softer eyeliners, but I recently rediscovered this in my stash, and I really like it!

The color is pretty much exactly the color of the cap: A dark gray with a slight metallic sheen. The sheen does not really show up super metallic or frosty or anything, so it does a very good job of defining the eyes. I don't like the look of really metallic or glittery eyeliners for everyday. I really like this for a softer look then just black. I also think the color is more interesting the brown, and some eyeshadow looks just don't go well with brown eyeliner. I think this color defines the eyes, but really allows for my eyelashes to really stand out better then on just a dark black background. Also, it is really nice to use on the bottom lash line. I am fair and since lightening my hair I find dark rims around the eyes is too much, even for more dramatic looks, but if I use black on the top and this on the bottom, it is still sultry and dark. I have tried other gray pencils, but they are too light, too dark, or too silver. This is the best one I have tried thus far!

In terms of wear, it wears very well for me. It lasts all day and I donít have any issues with smudging. The pencil is creamy, so you can smudge it, but work quickly because it sets quickly. Once it sets, it does not budge. I did a test on my hand, no matter how hard I rub, itís still there! Itís really amazing.

I also love the packing, the automatic pencil is convenient and a little sharpener on the other end if you want to do a really fine line. My only complaint is that over time these pencils dry and become hard and brittle making it impossible to apply. I think if the cap clicked on better/tighter it would help.

Here is a quick comparison of some other grays I have tried:
Rimmel Exaggerate in steel is a pretty close dupe, but it is not as opaque, and so it takes a little more work to apply, but it also a little creamer. I prefer the Colorstay because it lasts longer. I also have the Avon waterproof Glimmer Stick in Smoky Grey, which is more taupe of a dark taupe with NO shimmer what so ever. It is also very long wearing (see my separate review for it if you are interested). Lastly, the
For reference, I am fair, warm (NC15-20) and have hazel/green eyes. Lastly, and the only one mentioned that is a sharpen-able pencil is the L'oreal Extra Intense in gray, which is so dark it is almost black, so I wouldn't recommended it if you are looking for a grey color.

on 12/6/2010 9:22:00 PM

I have been wearing makeup for four years. I have never used up a product UNTIL this eyeliner. That's how good it is. The color is amazing! I didn't think much of it at first, but as I started wearing it the more and more I liked it. It compliments black eyes beautifully. It's prefect for everyday wear as it's not as harsh as black. (Sometimes I find black eyeliner to close the eye or make them look smaller. Instead of wearing a thin black line I like to wear a thick gray line) I also find that the color is a pearl finish, it definitely isn't a flat matte. It somehow just looks super sexy. It also doesn't smudge, although most eyeliner don't smudge on me anyway. <3

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this liner! I have dark brown eyes and I always wear eyeliner. My lashes are actually black, so I feel like black liner looks okay on me, but it's sometimes too harsh for every day. I try to soften things up with a plum or gray liner, and this works great.

I was very worried it would be shiny, but it looks like a nice dark matte gray on me. In fact, once it's applied along with mascara it's not obviously gray at all- it helps thicken up my lash line like I want, but it's dark enough that it doesn't look like a huge gray line on my eyelid.

The packaging is okay. There's a sharpener built into the end that's really convenient, but the swivel function can be annoying- sometimes it sortof swivels up or down when I'm trying to apply. The consistency isn't my favorite, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker: I wish it were a little softer, but it's not so hard that it's difficult to apply. I just have to go over the lines a little bit more.

All in all I love this liner. Great for a softer everyday look, and drugstore products are super convenient to repurchase (no special trips to the mall!).

on 8/6/2010 2:33:00 AM

I got this as part of the smarteokey quad eyeshadow and mascara set. I was excited to try it on because it has this beautiful ash gray color with a hint of metallic color. But the excitement died down when I started to notice that the liner smeared on my lower lashline..urrrrgggghhhhh! what a shame! colorstay they say? i don't think so.. =(