Maxiglide iron

Maxiglide iron

on 8/28/2009 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The Maxiglide makes my hair perfectly straight, however, it also snags my curly hair, unless I use the steam and is very difficult to clean. I use heat protectants and find they build up on the plates creating a goo that can only be scrubbed off with a toothbrush.

on 6/17/2009 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

First, some context: I have frizzy, wavy, thick, Indian hair and live in humid south Florida

- The ceramic plates have teeth on them. Yes hair snags on the teeth (which causes breakage) but without the teeth this iron would not straighten anywhere near as well as it does
- The temperature range allows a hair to be styled from natural-looking body to stick straight hair
- The electrical cord is attached to the straightener in a way that the cord doesn't get twisted as you're using it, which is appreciated
- Lasted for me for four years through many drops and falls
- Straightens beautifully. I once straightened my hair before a sweat-drenched dance marathon at a club and I was the only girl who managed to emerge with straight hair. I used to get a lot of compliments about my pretty, straight hair through my years with this straightener.
- Since my Maxiglide gave out I bought a Hai Convertible straightener and while it works great, I still prefer the Maxiglide

I have very curly, fine hair.
I bought this thing after staying up late and watching infomercials. The first time I used it, it was amazing; or so I thought. I also had all sorts of things in my favor: I had just gotten my hair cut, I lived in Las Vegas (no humidity), and the shampoo and conditioner I use are amazing.
The results were great. It took me forever though: about 2 hours. I had movement, shine...it was wonderful. I even straightened my hair in Hawaii, and it stayed perfect.
However, after having it for about 2.5 years and using it less than 10 times, it died.
The thing that drove me most crazy about it was that blinking blue light! It's blinding!! I felt like it was going to burn a hole through my eye! Lol. Seriously though. It was horrible.
It was also very heavy.
And, what's the deal with STEAMING your hair, when humidity is like the devil to us curly heads??

I guess I'm just spoiled as I now own the GHD. Buy it!!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

this product totally works for me. it hurts a bit to pull it through my hair, and the "burst of steam button" is bs in my opinion, but this item does genuinely work.

on 10/19/2008 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the best thing to ever happen to my hair. I have owned 2 now...I ordered the original model 4 years ago and recently purchased the new MP, simply because I wanted something a little smaller and less bulky and it came with 2 full size bottles of his products, The End and Beyond Straight, which are fantastic. My old one is now my back up ;)

I've been using this iron on and off for 4 years. The past 6 months, I've been wearing my hair straight exclusively (I have naturally very curly, thick, dry hair). I've owned a ton of straightening irons before and NOTHING comes even close to my Maxiglide. It makes my hair stick straight, shiny and so soft. Now, it does take some getting used to as you don't use it the same way you do other irons. You CANNOT squeeze or pull! That's when hair breaks. You have to follow their directions exactly but once you get the hang of it, it's so simple. I truly believe if you're hair is turning frizzy from this it's because you are not using it properly! The steam function makes a HUGE difference on my ends. Honestly, my hair's condition has improved using this...as when I wear my hair natural, I have to wash and blow dry daily, but when its straight I can let it air dry, straighten and then leave it alone for a couple days without washing. I love my hair thanks to Maxiglide.

I have been using the Maxiglide for over 2 years now. I do not use the pinned plate because it does not straighten my hair as well as the two flat plates. I love this flat iron, but i gave it 4 lippies because the ceramic coating on the plates have chipped off and when i went on their website it states in the FAQ's that it won't hurt your hair to use it when that happens......I have noticed it's really damaging my hair now and i am going to have to purchase a new iron.... It worked great with very little damage to my fine, long blonde hair until the plates started chipping away. I think I am going to purchase a GHD.........hopefully it's not too hot for my hair, with no temp control.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

it was good at first. until it broke my hair, i had to cut off good 3 inches off of my hair because it damaged it so much. my hairdresser said because of it my hair was dry and unhealthy. not worth the money, even if it costed $15 i wouldnt buyt it again.

on 8/18/2008 3:17:00 PM

I LOVE THIS FLAT IRON!!! I would give it 100 lippies...I used to be a flat ironing queen before I transitioned to natural hair but this is perfect for people with A LOT of thick hair. Even with my natural hair the maxiglide does a magnificent job. There are pins within the plates that hold your hair inside the iron, and the backside of the iron still allows you to add a nice bend/ bump to the ends of your hair. Even the steam function is cool, I thought it would make your hair frizzy but I usually use it on my hair ends... I'm not sure if it helps but it doesn't hurt either. My only dislike of the Maxiglide is that the cord doesn't swivel, and after twisting it over and over again the cord needs to be untwisted after a while. If the price is a concern I would wait until one of those 20% off coupons came from Bed Bath and Beyond...

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This flat iron is bulky and very difficult to use. It also adds another 2hrs to the hair straightening process. My hair is very curly. I must get the thinnest sections and flat iron them with this because otherwise it would pull my hair (it hurts). The styling products that came along with it are quite good. Having to fill the tiny chamber with water every 10 minutes is irritating. Because of the size, I can't get it too close to my scalp otherwise I get burned. I thought this would be a good investment but I was wrong. It was a waste of money. I think I've used it all of 5 times and I've had it for over 2 years. I really don't like it. WARNING: YOU WILL HAVE LARGE AMOUNT OF HAIR IN THE PINS. IT LITERALLY YANKS THEM OUT. I also noticed that the smoothness didn't last. My hair frizzed out by the end of the evening (with my aveda anti-humectant!!!) The only thing I did like was the 'Beyond Straight' that came with it. It really does leave hair bouncy and shiny after a blow dry, not air dry, blow dry.

on 8/9/2008 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Personally, I don't own this iron. But one of my best friends does and i have used it countless times. I hated this iron with a passion. It does not make hair pin straight, it snags and pulls hair out, and it turns my hair into a frizzball! It is a piece of crap. My friend says she loves it, but she always complains about the frizz. She refuses to accept that this iron is what turns it into that frizzballl. I hate this iron and i would never recomend to anyone.

Popular Hair Styling Tools