Orly Naughty

Orly Naughty

4.5

on 11/12/2006 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I would SO buy this again. Have no idea why I wanted so long to get it. Naughty (at the risk of sounding redundant) is everything that Chanel Vamp/Rouge Noir is, only more affordable. Two coats of this is a dark garnet color (♥ ♥ ♥), 3 coats turns it into a blackened red that can look brownish in strong light. Like all dark n/p's the chips on this one are very noticeable so you have to make an effort to use a good base coat and maintain using a top coat. This wears
great on me though - about 3-4 days w/ no chips and v. little wear on the edges. If you're thinking about shelling out big bucks for Chanel Vamp, or want a sexy dark n/p, check out Naughty. Also a good choice if you like the look of black n/p but don't want to look too 'goth/punk'. I got this for about $4 USD at Sally's.

Finally! I found the polish I had been searching for!! This is the MOST perfect shade of dark, vampy- almost black color that has been soo popular this fall 06 season. It isn't all the way goth like black polish is, instead is super sophisticated (on short nails) and very sexy. I've worn it for almost 2 weeks now and love it as much as the first day- if not even more. I still can't keep looking at my nails. The polish is amazing, no chips and still looking great. Not sure if it's the OPI start to finish base coat, nail strenghtener and top coat doing all the magic. I got this at my local Sally's Beauty supply for $4.99 plus tax, love love the bottle with the rubber cap top- makes it easy to grip and hold onto. Although I wish the brush was like the new OPI pro.wide brush. I didn't mark lippies off because the Orly brush works well too. Overall, I am super excited to have found my favorite vampy polish of all time!!! Here are some of the other colors I tried before:
-OPI mrs o'learys bbq: it was much too brown, like bbq sauce- hence the name
-OPI lincoln park after dark: nice but too purple-y for me
-rimmel celebrity bash: also pretty but still too bright as a vampy shade
I have found this shade to be the best very dark blood red-almost black shade. It is worth a try..it's beautiful. Can't wait to try other colors in the Orly line..that is when I get over my deep obsession w. naughty and go back to my usual of soft sheers and french manicures.

on 10/29/2006 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I knew Naughty was the color of my dreams when I spotted it (even though I went out to buy OPI's Oh...To Be 25 Again, which I still got) at Ulta. On my hands (olive-toned light-medium Asian skin with green veins), Naughty shows up as a black-red, or what I've always thought Chanel's Rouge Noir would look like--not that I've ever worn Rouge Noir so don't think I'm saying Naughty is a dead ringer. Interestingly enough, I also don't notice any brown or plum tones. In dim indoor light, it looks almost black (but not quite). The red undertone shows up in brighter outdoor light. This is even sexier than my sexiest deep red polishes yet is totally chic and not too racy for work, especially since it's a creme. EVERYONE notices my nails when I wear Naughty and it's my favorite vampy polish. I prefer short, square nails that don't extend past the tips of my fingers but even if you don't, this color really looks best with a short manicure. My only complaint is how difficult it is to apply. I'm still fairly new to Orly polishes so I don't know if the bottle I got is typical of Orly but I found Naughty a bit streaky and very hard to apply. I had to redo my nails two times. I've been doing my nails since I was 11 years old and have never had any trouble with dark polishes (they just take a little more time to prep and apply) so it's not lack of knowledge. Despite the goopiness and uneven application, I still love Naughty and will buy a new bottle just in case I got a bad one. *Update* So after my first manicure chipped within 24 hours and then all my nails were half-chipped by day 4, I decided to try again with different top and base coats (Seche Vite instead of Orly this time) and although it was better, Orly doesn't hold up as well as OPI. Even Orly Bonder base coat didn't do much for my manicure. I'm very sad because I love this color.

on 10/19/2006 3:41:00 AM

Orly Naughty is just amazing. It's basically a super deep, blackened red creme, but it just looks so danged hot. Yep. It does.

I have found, however, that I absolutely cannot tell it apart from Orly Marlene. It's possible that Marlene is a little plummier, but with 2-3 coats, there's no real difference. I'm swapping off Naughty since I don't think I need two identical black-red polishes, and I just prefer the name Marlene :) I said I'd repurchase Naughty, but only because Marlene is discontinued and hard to find.

Pics:NailsNails (Marlene, for comparison)Swatch comparison continued >>

on 10/17/2006 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Let me start this review by saying I love the rubber caps on the Orly bottles. So much easier to grip and open the bottle.

This is a deep, blood red colour. I like it alot. It's one of my favourite vamps. However, the first time I used it, it went on very streaky. But since then I put a coat of black first, then Naughty and I get an opague look right away. I use Orly Nail Armour underneath and find I can go 3-4 days without wear or chips on my nails. Very good product line.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Love the color, but I could not get this to apply without streaking. I had to apply 3 coats just to get an even color. Because the polish was thick, it took much longer to dry than usual, even with a fast-drying topcoat and OPI's Drip-Dry on top. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, but from here on out, I'll stick to Essie Wicked. UPDATE: I'm upgrading this to 4 lippies after trying another reader's tip about layering this color over a coat of dark polish to minimize the streaking problem. It worked like a charm, but it's still kind of inconvenient; otherwise I'd give this 5 lippies.

on 10/2/2006 3:06:00 PM

I am normally a sheer/pale kinda gal (less maintenance that way) although I ALWAYS have polish on to help my weak nails. So why do I love this black/red stuff so much? Va va va voom, is why. This is so luxe, so dark, that it makes me feel sexy today even though my feet are in SNEAKERS! Application is flawless (and easy; the brush is just right), and I love the rubberized grip on the handle. Makes it easy to apply and grip, and never slips out of my fingers and crashes to the floor. This will be my winter staple, and looks good even though I'm still summer tan...

on 9/6/2006 3:35:00 PM

great dark, vamp color that is so very "it" now. goes on great and dries fast and has lots of staying power even without a top coat. got this at sally's for way cheaper then ulta.

on 8/23/2006 7:01:00 PM

I debated for ages on whether to buy this, and it really didn't look all that intriguing in the bottle... but I picked this up on impulse, as a pick-me-up after a terrible day where I just wanted my nails to be as dark as they could (this was the darkest polish at Sally Beauty at the time).

The first coat went on a deep red. The second coat was a blackened red, and the third coat made it a red-tinged black creme. This went on so smoothly and so glossy. It seemed streaky at first, but the streaks evened themselves out. This is just great; I keep staring at my nails. I don't get any brown or purple, though (NC25, olive complected). continued >>

on 7/21/2006 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Most dark shades like Chanel Vamp,Revlon Vixen,Essie Wicked take on fuchcia tones with me but not Naughty..Naughty looks straight up black but in the light you can see the red undertones ..I don't get the brown that a few of the reviews suggest.descent wear too..Lasts about a week&1/2 without a top coat before it starts to chip

Popular Polishes