Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue

Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue
Light Blue

3.8

on 5/26/2010 1:21:00 AM

The opening is lemon. Not like a lemon oil scent, but more like the juice. Which in theory is a great idea. Lemon oil tends to smell like furniture polish, but the juice would would be tangy and refreshing...... except for that it doesnt work out that way. Lemon juice does not have a naturally occurring essential oil. So the "Sicilian citron" is synthetic. Not to bash science, but synthetic fragrance accords never smell exactly right. So it just ends up smelling sour.

When it dries down a frankincense-y resin comes out. I dont really understand why frankincense/incense/cedar/amber is considered "fresh" or "bright" or "light". I consider this type of smell to be warm, or dark, or even smokey. And in light blue it just smells harsh. Defiantly more on the dark/smokey side. Smells like a catholic church or a funeral.

There is also a very understated savory note. I think it might be a failed attempt at apple. It kind of reminds me of fenugreek. Or you know when you eat curry and the spices get metabolized and sweated out and the smell is basically the worst type of BO ever? It kind of reminds me of that.

I dont smell any jasmine or floral notes in light blue. However, jasmine, and sambac jasmine in particular, contains compounds called indoles. Indoles are also produced by the bacteria in feces. High concentrations tend to smell like feces and low concentrations tend to smell like flowers. However it's mostly a matter of perception, and since I dont smell flowers.....

And to add insult to injury, because this perfume is defined as "fresh," people tend to douse themselves in it to try and cover up BO.

To sum things up, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue smells like someone spilled some mr clean in a funeral home full of sweaty Indian people. It's beyond me why it's so popular.

-Putrid
-Harsh
-cheap
-synthetic

on 5/9/2010 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Ugh, I am not sure why this is so popular. It dries down to a very 'manly' smell on me. I've tried everything to make it work, including changing to unscented body wash and laundry detergent (I thought maybe they were competing with each other??)

Gross. No thanks. Up for swap it goes!!

on 4/29/2010 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Would I buy this product again? Not no, but HELL NO! Gah...I hate this awful-smelling stuff! I'm actually late writing a review on it but someone on one of the boards mentioned it and I remembered that i needed to leave a review.

I bought this junk 6 years ago and to me or on me, it smelled heavily of musk. There is just something in this concoction that I do not like. Not sure exactly what it is but I'm sure it's not just the musk. I ended up swapping it out.

I have a friend who wears this and when I smell it on her I just want to say, "Gawd, go take a shower!!!!" Oh...it's just awful. It should actually be banned and unlawful to wear it. It's scent pollution for sure!!!

on 4/15/2010 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I dont get all the hype about this perfume... It doesnt last AT ALL.... i expect something for the money i paid.. but thankfully its not ab=mong the perfumes that gives me a headache (like chanel chance...yuck) ... its a clean fresh scent though... i like to use it on the bed sheets like some1 said... it gives a fresh smell...
If used too much it doesnt smell the same anymore...
And to those who said its smell exactly like Moschino i love love... im not quite sure... as that one smells more citrusy... dint really like it...
Every time i buy a perfume based on MUA reviews it turns out... its nothing special for me... :( ... so next time i should just follow my instincts .... ^_^

on 4/5/2010 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love the fresh citrus smell of this fragrance. It's very refreshing and perfect for late spring and summer. However, it's far too popular (I'd like to smell unique) and it has horrible staying power on me. Unfortunate, because I love the grapefruit and cedar.

on 4/3/2010 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my favorite summer fragrances along withvAnnick Goutal Eua De Hadrian. I love that it has a kind of grapefruit tang to it, very refeshing!

So, I normally go for the foody/vanilla scents, but needed to change things up a little for spring/summer. This is such a nice fresh crisp fragrance - I love it! "Fresh & Clean" from Victoria Secret's PINK line smells exactly like this. You can buy it in the body splash and lotion and it really makes the light Blue last a long time!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Wow, look at all the reviews! Just thought I'd add my two cents.

So, this came out while I was still in high school and I absolutely hated it. Possibly because all the popular girls were wearing it- it wasn't like it smelled bad.

When we graduated, I started really enjoying smelling it on other women at the mall, in the movie theatre, etc... and I kept asking for a bottle for Christmas, but I never got one until this past Christmas. Whenever I wear Light Blue, it smells fairly androgynous, but it's nice. My boyfriend tells me I smell like a "fashionable orange." =) Whatever that means, I know he thinks it smells good. Something I've noticed about the perfume itself is that it has a great sillage and it does stick around on clothing for days. On my skin, not so much, but it is an airy, warm scent that will be perfect for summer when I don't feel like being drenched in perfume.

I think the best part of Light Blue is that it is inoffensive; you can wear it almost anywhere and not ruffle any feathers. The unfortunate downside is that since nearly every woman has worn it at some point, or knows what it smells like, it is highly recognizable and it may not end up as "your" perfume. Personally, I associate it with other people more than I do with me. But it's enjoyable enough. I will not repurchase because I like my perfumes to be reasonably "unique."

This is a beautiful light citrusy floral scent which makes me think of summer. It's a "young" scent which I bought for both of my daughters. One of my daughters left a review on MUA, she actually likes this scent for Fall & Winter wear.
To me this scent smells fresh and young but still accomplished enough to be worn by more mature women as well. It starts out with fresh citrus and florals. But on drydown you can pick up a woodsy note as well.
This is not my favorite scent (I'm more into florals) but I do like it. My only major complaint is that it does not seem to be very long lasting, almost no sillage. Having said that, it's great if you have a little purse size as well and don't mind reapplying fairly frequently. It's never an overbearing scent and can be worn almost everywhere at any time of day or evening.
I don't like the cheap looking faux velvet box it comes in (neither does my daughter) but that has nothing to do with scent.

on 1/18/2010 11:07:00 PM

I also wanted to love this fragrance. It smells great on a very close friend. I gave it many tries. Every time I tried it on at a department store, it was always the same result. It smelled like strong man's cologne on me. It was nauseating. Too bad, I just love perfume, but this one is not one for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials