Maybelline Designer Chocolates Quad

Maybelline Eyeshadow Quad - Designer chocolatesEnter TitleEnter Title

3.5

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I bought this quad when I decided to reintroduce wearing eyeshadow into my daily makeup routine after a decade of only wearing eyeliner, mascara and some kind of lip product and let's just say that I wasn't impressed. The colors were chalky, difficult to blend, looked quite awful on my caramel color skin and after trying a couple of different eye looks, I returned it to RiteAid within an hour after my initial purchase. This is definitely one drugstore product that did not live up to expectations.

Maybe my picker was off that day for I purchased another eyeshadow quad, that review will follow shortly, and I was 2 for 2 for choosing really awful eyeshadow quads in one day.

on 7/2/2009 2:59:00 AM

Great quad. The white can be used for brow bone, inner corner and as cheek highlight. The light brown very comparable to MAC great everyday color small shimmer, brown matte can be placed in crease for night look. Pinky color not that great can make eyes look red and make you look sick! but Overall, 3 great colors. Instructions on back on how to create the "ideal" look, kinda cute that they put it there.

I normally use Clinique's Strawberry Fudge eyeshadow duo. I ran out, and didn't want to drive 20 minutes to the mall to buy more.

So, with that being said, I decided I would save some time (and money) and just buy some plain old eyeshadow from Wal-Mart.

I saw the Maybelline "Designer Chocolates" and immediately thought the palette was pretty, and similar to Strawberry Fudge. Was I ever wrong. The only colors worth using were the dark brown and pink. The lid shade was too close to my own, so you could barely see it, and the brow bone shade was too white and too transparent. As for the dark brown and pink shades, it takes about 500 applications to get any type of color pigmentation.

I will definitely be sticking with Clinque.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This product sucks, the pay off is horrid!! You have to work so hard to get even the slightest color...im a NC50.....just doesnt get it for me........HATED IT!!!!!!

I love the shimmery burgundy and beige that come with this- the brown is ok and the nude is actually pretty good. Its a good deal for the price! Could be a bit more pigmented. Great colors!

on 6/3/2009 11:31:00 PM

I use this eyeshadow duo mostly everyday. I get a lot of compliments on my eyes:)

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

The colors look really pretty in the package, neutral but special. Alas, this was not my experience. The lid color is way too close to my own color, so it was pretty useless. The dark brown for the outer corner is very blah and is the only color that actually shows up properly. The crease color was a shimmery pink with brown tones. I say was because the color shattered when the case dropped. It was the only one, so maybe the sparkles did something to make the texture more crumbly and prone to break. The only decent color is the brow bone, which I find too white for my brow, but use as a highlighter on the top of my cheek bones. I think someone with a lighter complexion would find this set more to their taste, but I wouldn't get these "Chocolates" again.

on 5/3/2009 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This makes my Velvet Crush quad look like heaven.

It seems the only shimmery shade, or so it appears, is the "crease" color which is a light brown with a rosy hint in it. Generally reddish colors don't look great on medium-golden-tan skin, so it was tricky for me (and saddening because I love shimmer more than anything else in the world).

Generally I use the darkest shade of the quad most because the rest of the shades don't provide much drama, but the brown in this one was rather smudgy and super matte, which I wasn't a huge fan of. I love browns and prefer others to this palette.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Well, I would not have wasted money on this if I knew. I wanted a smoky eye that is not too loud and dark for me. This one has a crease color which does not suit med complexion people at all. I feel the colors of the quad are not the best. It defntly gives a natural look but it hardly shows up. LOL Waste of $4.

on 4/1/2009 3:42:00 PM

I'm actually wearing these shadows right now. I put the purplish shade all over my lid, leaving the outer corner space clean to create the "outer-v" with the dark brown shade. Then I used the taupe shade on the outer crease/close to the brow bone area to smoothen the rough edges from the other two shades. I didn't use the highlight color because it's so dry and not pigmented. Overall, still a good buy, but I won't buy it again.