Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

3.9

Aqua (Water), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG-16/16 Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Laureth-2 Benzoate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Polyacrylate, Coconut Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Trisodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Edta, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 7/2/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My HG was the shiseido liner, but it has been difficult to find the Black 001 refills for it so i tried this. Compared to the Shiseido the Shu is a bit thicker and a bit more matte, however i believe it is water resistant unlike the shiseido, thats a plus. What i don't like is the brush, it is harder to draw thinner lines and doesn't keep its shape as well and the Shiseido. I did some experimenting and discovered the the brush part of the Shiseido fits into the Shu pen and so do the Shu refills :) Now i just hope the pump reaches the refill beacuse the shiseido brush part is slightly shorter. I store the pen upside down so i never have to pump it, but i imagine it might be a problem when i get a new refill. I shall update.

on 5/3/2010 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This was the first eye liquid eye liner I used since switching from pencil.
I tend to like shu uemura things, and the fact that you just need to change the cartridge was a plus for me.

The ink was smooth at first, but started to get a little hard to put on once the ink started clotting on the brush which was really frustrating. What would happen is that I would have one eye with a nice line and the other one being too light and patchy. I really did like it when it worked normally, but it was just too frustrating so I went and tried gel liners instead.

Even with the past experience I eventually went back to this eye liner as I have heavy eye-lids which gets oily. With gel liners unless I use a dark eye shadow with it it will smudge noticeably. Since I started to wear make-up to work everyday and went for the minimal using just eyeliner (and mascara) on the eyes, it didn't work.
I tried a few different eye liners and found that this one didn't smudge at all and stayed for pretty much most of the day.
Only thing is it tends to rub off when my eyes starts tearing up and its happening a lot these few weeks since I have a cold. But other than that as long as I'm patient and put the eye liner slowly and steadily it works great.
Not sure about using it over eye shadow, but its good on its own.

I really love this product and it's a must for my daily winged eyeliner.

I do love the brush though and gives a very precise line for the upper lashes. At first I used to use it on it's own...however after a few months of use, the brush starts getting clogged up and you have to wash it/dip it in water to restart it again. The ink itself is drying so this is normal but I must admit, it's a little frustrating. So now because of the brush problems and not enough time in the mornings to dip it in water, I've taken to use my MAC fluidline in conjunction to complete the flick.

Despite the problems, I would definitely buy the refills again because of the precise line you can achieve and also it's water resistant and stays on all day.

on 10/7/2009 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Easy to use. Make sure to press enough times so the felt tip is inked well.

on 7/29/2009 12:11:00 AM

This is water resistant. It only comes off if you rub it. No transfer at all otherwise. Only problem is using it. It gets clogged up. I figured out that you have to wet the tip to get the ink running again after it dries. Also this is super expensive but i love the brush. It's really soft so it doesn't pull on your eyelids. Also you can control to create a thick or thin line. the color is nice and dark. But sometimes when you draw on the line a second time, the line disappears but its better than hourglass (due to the better brush). Hourglass pulls on my skin.

I didn't have much luck with this. The line came out really flaky, not smooth at all, and the brush is really hard to master (might just be me). Color comes out unevenly.

My unrivaled HG eyeliner!!!!

Price: $33 USD ($18 for empty pen, $15 for ink cartridge)

I have oily asian eyelids, and it seemed like every eyeliner I used after about 8 hours would give me raccoon eyes underneath my eyes - MAC Fluidline, BB gel liner, pencils... you name it and it would smudge eventually. I tried every solution I could think of - UDPP as a base, changing to powder concealers to reduce "slip" and still, 8 hours seemed to be my eyeliner "limit" =P But then I found this eyeliner! The price on this seems a bit steep, but after using it for over a year, every day and only needing to replace the ink cartridge after about 7 months, this is totally worth it and ends up not being that expensive!

The brush pen took a pit of practice to get used to, but I have complete control and precision with it. I get a perfect black line every time, and used on top of the UDPP it has never given me raccoon eyes, even when I have to stay up for 26 hrs at a time for work! My eye makeup looks just as good as when I applied it - even if I take a 5 hr nap wearing it.

When you run out of the cartridge, make sure to give the pen and brush tip a good wash with soap and warm water to clean it and ensure good ink flow. I am in love with this liquid liner pen and I've got my sister (who has a single-fold Asian eyelid... notoriously difficult to find non-smudging makeup for!) hooked on this too!

on 6/25/2008 4:02:00 PM

I'm still debating whether I should return this product. There are certain qualities I love, such as the precise line it gives, and how easy to use...but the quality is very inconsistent. It shows differently on my two eyelids, and no matter how hard I tried to make the left one look darker, the color just didn't stay, it flaked out like crazy...guess I'll need to begin searching for my liquid eyeliner again...

I'm always on the lookout for a great eyeliner (liquid, gel, pencil) so I was eager to try this one from Shu since they have such a great reputation. You purchase the "pen" and the eyeliner comes in a little ink tube, much like a fountain pen, and is purchased separately. There's a button to push on the end of the pen that dispenses the liner into the applicator tip. The sales lady at Neiman assured me that this was waterproof (supposedly all their eyeliners are). My eyes water a lot, due to allergies or yawning, and this stuff didn't last 30 minutes. The color is very inconsistent - I found it to be very light on my eyes, but would show up just fine on my hand. Just minutes after applying I'd see little black flakes "chipping" off.

I'm returning this today - so not worth it.

PS - This only comes in black.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

i absolutely adore this eyeliner :) it allows me to draw the thinnest lines over my lids and i have really shaky hands. it glides over without pulling and it has a great intense black shade that is just perfect. will definitely repurchase the refill