NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 4/30/2015 11:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I recently purchased this. I am a HUGE lover of red lip colors; glosses, balms, sticks and now these pencils. As I'm "middle-aged", I tend to stay away from the matte lippies, although I do love the long-wear qualities of them. So, I purchased this and the NARS Mexican Rose Gloss stick to use on top of it. What a combo! And I get such nice, red, low-gloss lips for a very long time. Although having to sharpen the pencils isn't optimal, I do love the product! Highly recommend!

on 3/26/2015 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product definitely lives up to the NARS reputation. It goes on smoothly, is bold, bright, matte, opaque, and has great staying power. I bought it from Sephora.com and the color isn't exactly what was advertised -- It's more of a pinky red than the red red classic shade I was looking for -- but I'm inclined to purchase it in other colors based on my experience with Dragon Girl, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the color.

on 3/23/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I finally did it. I finally bought Dragon Girl. After falling in love with Cruella, Walkyrie, and Never Say Never, I decided to drop the dollars and pick up this iconic shade. For a long time, I'd strayed from blue-based reds because I wanted that bright, fire engine red with orange undertones that always seemed to stand out on camera. DG remained woefully overlooked as a result.
But then I swatched it. And hold the phone! This pulled beyond blue-red on me. It morphed into the most gorgeous red-pink I'd ever seen! Needless to say, I bought it immediately.
The formula is consistent with the whole of the range (short of Train Bleu, which I still own because I can't bring myself to admit that it doesn't work for me) in that it glides on smoothly and effortlessly, delivering one-swipe opacity without loads of tugging. I don't find it to be drying on my perpetually parched lips, but it's certainly not hydrating either. It's matte. What do you expect?
But man, is this stuff weightless! It wears like a second skin on my lips, drenching them in color without feeling heavy or waxy. There's some transfer onto my coffee cup, but not so much that it drives me mad or anything. And it lasts SO LONG. This stuff really hangs on for dear life.
My only gripe is with the packaging. At $26USD a pop, it's criminal that these don't retract, but instead need to be sharpened, which wastes product. Uncool, NARS. Super uncool.
But I'll still purchase these pencils because they are phenomenal. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, the packaging is less than ideal. But the colors are amazing and always on trend and the formula is fantastic. Sometimes, that's the best you can hope for.

on 2/5/2015 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE NARS velvet matte! Have bought them and recommended them to all my friends and fam. They must think I'm secretly working for NARS or something! But for the good of woman kind, you can have an easy to apply, comfortable to wear, classy matte finish that lasts longer than any other lipstick I've ever worn. I have cruella, red square and dragon girl. Dragon girl and red square are my two faves. Dragon girl has this incredible depth once on. It starts off looking quite pink but put more on and the colour and texture just transform. I actually bought it unseen based on reviews, which I would never normally do, but I am so glad I did. The cons (wasted product when sharpening, may need to get a new NARS/other compatible sharpener too, price) are absolutely outweighed by the quality of this lipstick formula......

on 1/9/2015 12:46:00 PM

This is my shortest pencil yet! It's turning into a tiny little nub, and I need to repurchase it within this year.

I bought this back in 2011, and I still have 1/3 or 1/4 of it remaining. I bring this out for music concerts, late night events, out to dinners, and whenever I feel like it.

It's formula is long lasting, matte, and not killer-dry (like some MAC Retro Mattes literally have me weeping in physical pain. I did not realize this was possible for a lipstick to do.)

I usually have to only touch up once in one outing, if at all (at the corners of the lips usually.) It's opaque in one swipe, not painful to apply, and as the name says, a velvet matte pencil that I adore the bright cherry colour of!

on 1/1/2015 8:44:00 PM

I am not going to mince my words here, this colour is amazing. I am currently going through a red lipstick phase and have purchased many red lipsticks the past few weeks. This is hands down my favourite. The colour is exactly how they've described it; vibrant red. It has a way of making my Asian skin glow and my teeth extra white.

I highly recommentd this and will definitely repurchase!

I've been using Nars lip pencils for a few years now, but I've always stuck with the satin, hydrating formulas. I purchased my first matte pencil in the color Dragon Girl and I have to say that I love it. The product is easy to use/easy to draw on and the color stays on all day. I find that most matte lipsticks leave my lips looking chapped and cracked, but if you prime your lips with a dash of chapstick, blot it off, then apply - this color does the perfect trick.

on 12/5/2014 10:16:00 PM

I'll be honest, I purchased this lip color after finding out it was one of Taylor Swift's favorites. Her red lip just always look impeccable, so while waiting for a friend at the mall, I swung by Sephora and picked it up. My biggest complain is the price. That being said, however, the color on me is not very red. More of a deep pink. Which, I guess I should blame my skin tone for, unless I just picked out a rotten pencil? Who knows. The color does stay on for ages, and is easy to apply, but I find the formula to be drying. Better luck next time? (Only if there's a sale or I get a gift card for Sephora!)

I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone of pinky nude shades (faves include: Revlon balm stain in honey, Illamasqua's Climax and Guerlain's Gemma.) After a disappointing experience with MAC's Russian Red, I steered clear of reds. Until I saw Dragon Girl. I was torn between this or Cruella. Not gonna lie, bought it partly because it reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo lol. It's described as a "siren red." With my NC30 skin and black hair, it adds instant glam to my face without much effort. I was complimented by several people when I wore this today and it prompted me to write this review! I have dry lips with Blistex lip medex being my saving grace. First I apply one layer of Dragon Girl on my lips (it's seriously pigmented!), then use a lip brush to apply a bit of Blistex to the center of my lips and finally use a bit of Nars radiant creamy concealer with a brush to clean up the edges. I don't use a lip liner, the matte formulation allows the colour to stay put. I had this on for almost 12 hours today and had two meals, drank plenty of water and did no touch-ups and the colour only faded a bit on the center of my bottom lip. I was pleasantly surprised by how non-drying it is, despite the matte formula. This is quickly becoming my HG red. My only gripe about this product is the price, it's currently $31 CAD for 0.086 oz and yes, product does get wasted because it requires sharpening. But I suppose it's better to pay for a product that gets lots of love than to have it abandoned in a makeup drawer...

on 2/18/2014 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I was always afraid of red lipstick because I'm pretty pale, but this color is gorgeous! I've had a few other NARS lip pencils before and I love the texture and ease of application. This shade in particular is a bright, beautiful red that's fun but not too intimidating. It's super pigmented and lasts a long time without feathering. I don't find that this lip pencil clings to dry skin, either, which is definitely a plus. I like the fact that it's a pencil because it's easy to travel with and easier to apply precisely, but it is annoying that you have to sharpen it. It's a little expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion.