Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 1/3/2007 8:47:00 PM

It depends what you want, I guess. If you want to be distinctly perfumey, l'Air du Temps would work; I suppose it's unique, subtle, etc. It's very difficult to describe. The closest I can get is honey lemon (with maybe some orange or other citrus) but it's definitely not bright. There's a heavy note with a honeyish feeling that dominates the perfume. In the drydown it lightens up, but it's still the smell of your grandmother, and your mother, and the coat closet, and all old things. I guess it's a matter of taste, but...People will think "Perfume! Expensive, classy, fancy perfume." They won't think it's your personal aura or has anything to do with you at all.

on 12/17/2006 3:17:00 PM

L'Air du Temps is amped up powder on me, sweet and musky and powerful. It certainly isn't a quiet scent - it walks into a room minutes before I do, and lingers for a while after I've left. I usually adore powdery scents, but this one refuses to work with me.

on 11/16/2006 10:21:00 PM

This was my signature scent in the late 70's. I had tried many fragrances, but this was the one that always smelled good on me, so I stuck with it for years. Timeless, classic. Lovely fragrance for summer. I tried to rekindle the flame about a year ago, sadly this doesn't smell the same on me anymore, or perhaps my tastes (or nose) has changed.

This may sound weird, but this scent IS my mother! When I was in high school, I found one of the white refillable bottles on her dresser (empty) and smelled it. I immediately thought "This is what mom used to smell like!" I hadn't realized her smell was perfume! (She hadn't worn it for about 5 years, before I even really thought about things like perfume) My mother doesn't buy things like perfume for herself, so ever since I got my first job, which was around the time I found that bottle, I have been keeping her with a supply. She knows that when she's getting low, the next birthday, mother's day, or christmas gift will be a bottle, but her face never fails to light up! She wears it everyday and it smells so clean and beautiful on her. When I was away in college, I would sometimes pass the beauty counter and stop to smell the L'Ai du Temps just to feel like my mom was with me. I can't wait for Christmas this year, because I bought her the biggest bottle I could find! Her bottle now has only a few squirts and she is conserving it. Now, since I am starting my own family, I am looking for a perfume that my kids will associate with me the way I associate L'Air du Temps with my mom! Unfortunately, I did not inherit her body chemistry, and need to lean more towards oriental perfumes. Right now, Coco Mademoiselle takes the cake, when used VERY lightly!

on 8/26/2006 1:09:00 PM

There is something so charming about this perfume, starting by the name... the bottle, the chic, vintage feel to its fragrance that's sweet and floral, but in a grown up way...I have grown to really like it. I can't identify who, but I'm sure some relative used to wear this when I was a child. It makes me feel very happy.

on 7/27/2006 7:53:00 PM

I was so surprised when I finally tried this scent on. I have always been thinking "old lady" about it and never given it a chance, until now.
It truly is a classic, and I love the subtle carnation in it. I can smell a hint of gardenia and some ginger too mixed with sandalwood, but mostly carnation. On me, anyway.
And I don't get the powdery and musky notes mentioned at all. I find it a little to spicy on me to call it a floral, but it is not spicy or heavy like an oriental. It is.....something else.
The bottle is beautiful, but the cap is allready loose on mine.
I never in my dreams would have thought I could like it, and now
it just might end up as my favourite daytime scent because of the carnation.
And it's been around since the late 1940's UPDATE: After 2 months being unused, I must admit that I don't like it as much as I thought. I have been using several others and reached past this classic, so I think I will be giving it away. This is not bold, original, or yummy enough for me. Taking off a lippie and won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I love L'air du Temps. It's an interesting fragrance to me - although it has a pretty complex composition, the resulting scent is holistic, and transcends individual notes to become a complete thing in itself, a thing that resists being broken down into descriptions of componant parts. Sounds strange, but that's what I think. So I can't think of individual notes with this one - when I smell it I think of the overall effect: airy, golden, elegant, shimmery, romantic. It deserves its classic status. L'air du Temps has a soft innocence to it too, it's romantic rather than sexy - some modern perfumes are sort of the smell equivalent of leaping on someone and tearing their underwear off, but L'air du temps is more like the moment that you spend looking into someones eyes before you kiss them for the first time. And the dove bottle is perhaps one of the most beautiful ever, literally a work of art. So why haven't I given it full marks? Because I fear it's a bit too restrained for me, lol... I'm a red lipstick, black eyeliner kind of girl, and dammit, I LIKE tearing underwear off!

on 6/5/2006 2:16:00 PM

L'air du Temps is a nostalgia scent for me. It was my signature scent when I was young and it was beautiful in all its formulations. But I think it's been tweaked/changed in recent years, so it's not as nice as it used to be. This is not the type of floral scent people wear anymore - unless you're into nostalgia. I received a vintage bottle in a swap. The very top notes have disintegrated but what's left is still lovely. It goes through a distinct vetiver stage on my skin before it settles down into a gardenia-soapy creaminess that's very long lasting. My husband complimented me on this scent, but I'd never return to it. Just too much water under the bridge, and I'm into a different type of fragrance now, as most of us are.

I adore this sent! It smells like springtime to me. It brings back childhood memories as my Grandmother used to have a tiny bottle of it on her vanity and it only had a trace left in it. It still smells the same to me. I will continue to use it for many years to come!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I fell in love with this creation gradually. It is such a charming fragrance, very feminine and caressing. Many florals are jumbled mess. They are either too sharp, too cloying, too sweet or very fleeting. This one seems to be a very successful composition. It doesnít fit any of the abovementioned categories. The carnation here is very timid and gentle, unlike CDG Red Carnation which is very flamboyant and spicy. This reminds me of May or October, with young blossoms or yellowing leaves and chrysanthemums. The Benzoin note gives LíAir a slightly powdery note, which gives the fragrance that translucency. Thankfully I donít detect gardenia, which I am not a fan of, but bergamot and neroli are present, there is also tiny speckle of jasmine which adds that crispy fresh note. This is a wonderfully tranquil, complex and delicate fragrance. I can see why itís a classic. Forget my mother, I will be wearing this for ages to come.

Update: changed my mind. It's too sour and very fleeting.

Popular Fragrances